Behringer CMD PL-1 knobs values are incorrect

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
M0mws

Behringer CMD PL-1 knobs values are incorrect

Postby M0mws » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:13 am

Behringer cmd pl-1 mapping in Powersdr MRX PS 3.4.9

Setting knobs only shows a range of value between 63 and 65 with a max value of 127? I was expecting this to show complete range like the main wheel used for tuning vfo.
All knobs are the same. Whether set to knobs and buttons or wheels.
Wheels seem like the setting it should be as the don’t have limits .
Can anyone try their PL-1 and see if they have the same problem please.
Of course, it could be a faulty controller..
I have found no way of testing the knob outputs in the midi stream.
w-u-2-o

Re: Behringer CMD PL-1 knobs values are incorrect

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:32 pm

Not sure this answer will help, but...

The setting of knobs, buttons or wheels is to tell PowerSDR what kind of control you are using. It does not tell the MIDI controller anything. The software will then present you with a list of commands that it supports for each type of control.

Wheels are controls that spin around and around with no mechanical limits. These controls generally send a continuous stream of the same MIDI command when turned clockwise, once per "step". The same when turned counter-clockwise but it will be a different MIDI command.

Knobs are controls that have a hard left and right mechanical limit. The general send a range of MIDI commands with values from 0 to 127 depending on their absolute position.

Buttons generally but not always send a 127 when depressed and a 0 when release.

Not sure what the PL1 sends, but it is supported in 3.4.9.
M0mws

Postby M0mws » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Not sure this answer will help, but...

The setting of knobs, buttons or wheels is to tell PowerSDR what kind of control you are using. It does not tell the MIDI controller anything. The software will then present you with a list of commands that it supports for each type of control.

Wheels are controls that spin around and around with no mechanical limits. These controls generally send a continuous stream of the same MIDI command when turned clockwise, once per "step". The same when turned counter-clockwise but it will be a different MIDI command.

Knobs are controls that have a hard left and right mechanical limit. The general send a range of MIDI commands with values from 0 to 127 depending on their absolute position.

Buttons generally but not always send a 127 when depressed and a 0 when release.

Not sure what the PL1 sends, but it is supported in 3.4.9.

Yes, all understood, but setting to Wheels for continuous rotation only gives the range as indicated. 63-65.. the main vfo, which is set as wheel gives the correct span when initially selected.. makes me wonder whether my hardware is working :?
But thanks for confirmation on the way it works anyway. :)
DH1KLM

Postby DH1KLM » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 am

Your CMD PL-1 behaves exactly as it should.
Here are some valuable information regarding the Midi implementation from W2PA, which also wrote the customization for the PL-1.
http://w2pa.net/SDR/category/midi-controllers/
In particular (values 0-127 / 63-65) the following might be interesting for you.
http://w2pa.net/SDR/2017/02/13/using-th ... dr-mrx-ps/
73 de Sigi / DH1KLM
M0mws

Postby M0mws » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 pm

DH1KLM wrote:Your CMD PL-1 behaves exactly as it should.
Here are some valuable information regarding the Midi implementation from W2PA, which also wrote the customization for the PL-1.
http://w2pa.net/SDR/category/midi-controllers/
In particular (values 0-127 / 63-65) the following might be interesting for you.
http://w2pa.net/SDR/2017/02/13/using-th ... dr-mrx-ps/

Hi, Thanks, the last link does indeed explain it..
My Hercules controller works absolutely fine so I just keep using that..
More controls as well..
Thanks to all for your input

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”