Behringer CMD PL1 just installed

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
Tony EI7BMB

Behringer CMD PL1 just installed

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu May 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Guys, just got a behringer CMD PL 1 from Amazon warehouse . First off its a lot chunkier than my hercules DJ compact with a great big wheel which has the great advantage of multiple speeds when used as VFO control. It lights up really nicely and the push buttons are solid. Only slight downside is the knobs are really wheels so cannot be used for Master AF volume for example but its no problem to keep your existing controller for these features if you need them as both controllers run quite happily at the same time .

Is anyone using the CMD micro ? I wonder if that has the multiple speed tuning option on the big wheels ?
w-u-2-o

Re: Behringer CMD PL1 just installed

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 25, 2017 1:47 pm

First of all, many thanks to Chris, W2PA, for making the Behringer MIDI controllers a viable option in PowerSDR! :)

My understanding is the CMD Micro works just as well, although I don't have one.

I still have my eye on the Hercules Compact. Unfortunately it is reported to have some funny mult-speed behavior on the jog wheels that makes it work poorly, and that can't be defeated in the Hercules driver control panel. I'm tempted to buy one anyway and analyze it in the hope that my analysis data could be used by Chris to fix the problem.

73!

Scott
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu May 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Hi Scott, indeed many thanks to Chris , his instructions meant I had this running in minutes. I've been using the hercules compact for quite a while Scott and although it does not have multi "fast" speed tuning I've had no problems using it. If I did not need to keep it to control AF levels I'd happily post it to you to try out. If I could confirm that the two jog wheels on the micro behaved in the same way as the big wheel on the PL1 I'd be very tempted to get the micro if I could find one at a reasonable price.
W2PA

Postby W2PA » Thu May 25, 2017 7:44 pm

Tony,

The master AF Gain is currently not mappable to a PL-1 mini-wheel, only to a knob/slider. But I can add that in the next release if you'd like. The individual AF Gains are usable with both mini-wheels and knobs/sliders in the current version.

And as for the jog wheels on the Micro: I use both the Micro and the PL-1. I can confirm that the code handling the wheels on the Micro does provide variable rate tuning when mapped to VFOs, just like for the PL-1's big wheel - except, of course, that they are smaller and so the rate of spinning to activate each of the three tuning rates is a little different from how it feels on the PL-1.
Chris, W2PA
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Thanks so much for the work on this Chris. As it happens I came across a website this evening in EU that has the CMD micro so have ordered one . I reckon with the multi speed on the wheels and the extra number of sliders it has over the hercules compact I will be more than happy with all the functions.
Scott mentioned the P touch printer also so got one of those with a scalpel for the labels to make it look right :-)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 pm

There you go, Tony! If you weren't all the way in Ireland I'd probably take you up on the offer to borrow the Hercules Compact!

Post a photo of your controller after you've labeled it, I'd love to see it and I suspect others would as well.

73!

Scott
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri May 26, 2017 7:22 am

Will do Scott .

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”