Hercules Impulse 200

A place to discuss and exchange ideas on all types of control surfaces for PowerSDR and Thetis.
Dennis

Re: MIDI set up loaded but no controls working

Postby Dennis » Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:22 pm

Hello Scott, wonderful & valuable input all of the time, I have a question in regards the Hercules DJControl Inpulse 200
would you believe in VK, this unit is much cheaper then the DJ COMPACT Controller,
searched forum in regards the Hercules IMPULSE 200 to see if it worked same as the Compact, not noted as far as I could see,

not sure if all Hercules are created equal and all work etc ? as the Compact does?
any comments?

Dennis vk4sx
w-u-2-o

Hercules Impulse 200

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:43 am

Dennis,

Not all Hercules controllers work exactly the same. There is really no way to know if that controller will work OK without trying it. You, unfortunately, will need to be the test pilot!

If you do decide to try it, please post back here on your results so that others may benefit.

Scott
dl5tt

Hercules Inpulse 200; problems with slider mapping

Postby dl5tt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:05 pm

Hi,
I bought a HERCULES "DJCONTROL INPULSE 200" and I am not able to map sliders and wheels (buttons are no problem).
I made the mapping tests without additional drivers (only USB plugged in) and also with additional drivers by HERCULES.
I did this tests also with another PC (i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz 16 GByte), with the same results.
Also changing the USB sockets has no impact on the behavior of the DJCONTROLLER together with Thetis.

When mapping a slider, a lot of command "bursts" are transmitted to Thetis (mapping menu). Sometimes I have to wait 5 seconds until the data stream of a short move is finished.
Even if I correct the midi-database manually, concerning the MIN- and MAX-values, the sliders on Thetis and "PowerSDR mRX PS" are jumping several times over the complete value range, when I move the slider only one mm. A complete move from 0 to 100% on the DJController generates more then 20 complete random passes in the slider in Thetis.

I tried to use the "Diagnostigs" register in the config menu (see screen shot). There I get a lot of commands, even if the slider move is stopped. A move of 1 second produces more then 60 commands over more then 5 seconds. The command burst in the screen shot is produced by a knob turn within 1 second of less then 20°.
Sometimes the command flood doesn't end within 2 minutes, then I abort the program.
2021-12-29 18_38_46-Midi Controller Setup.jpg
2021-12-29 18_38_46-Midi Controller Setup.jpg (233.76 KiB) Viewed 4319 times

What can I do?
Whats wrong in my mapping procedure?
Does anyone has experience with this type of MIDI-Controller (Hercules DJCONTROL INPULSE 200)?

PS:
a) I think one problem is, that slider and wheels send sometimes with different control-IDs (i.e. #23 and #03, as shown in the screenshot). The numbers from ID 23 are wrong and the numbers from ID 03 are OK, both coming from the same knob.

b) The 2nd problem may be, that the same ID-#s are used with different channel-#s, while Thetis doesn't interpret the channel-# (because in the XML-file no channel-#s are saved).

c) May be a routing and translation software (boom midi translator) can fix this problem, but I didn't find the right way.

Thanks in advance for your appreciated advices.
73 de Joe
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.
w-u-2-o

Re: Hercules Impulse 200

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:16 pm

There's nothing wrong with what you are doing. The Impulse 200 is simply generating MIDI commands in a way that Thetis is not designed to process.

Bome MIDI translator is a fantastic tool. If anything can fix the problem, Bome could do it. Unfortunately I'm not any kind of Bome expert, and without an Impulse 200 and the time to mess with it, I've got nothing to offer.

It's likely to be much, much easier to obtain a MIDI controller that is known to work well with Thetis/PowerSDR.
dl5tt

Re: Hercules Impulse 200

Postby dl5tt » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi,
tnx for your information.
I will try to get an older (may be used) DJcontroller.
73 de Josef
Actual system: ANAN-7000DLE MKII Protocol 2, external PC Ryzen 5600G, direct ethernet connection.

Return to “Macro & MIDI Controller Software, Hardware & Scripts”