200D Protocol 2 users: what say you?

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
W1AEX

Re: 200D Protocol 2 users: what say you?

Postby W1AEX » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:19 pm

Just a brief update with Thetis v2.6.2 and Orion_NP_v1.3_TEST1.rbf firmware:

I've been using Thetis for 5 hours straight and running it hard on 75 meter AM (without PS enabled) and 20 meter SSB (with PS enabled) and it has been very well behaved. I have not strayed from a sampling rate of 192 kHz yet but that would be a good test for tomorrow. On both bands I was driving the pair of 3-500's without any anomalies noticed.

One additional note: Being adventurous and curious I exported a copy of my OpenHPSDR mRX PS v3.4.9 database and then dropped it into the Thetis folder where the databases are held. When I started up Thetis it went through the database conversion process without flinching and after re-starting Thetis it came alive with all my 3.4.9 settings. All my transmit profiles, power calibration, vfo calibration, antenna matrix settings, and bandtext edits showed up fine. The only thing I noticed that I needed to manually adjust was the VAC Port Audio settings. After setting the Port Audio to manual and a value of "0" the VAC settings worked fine. It has been running all day with the 3.4.9 converted database without any problems.

The DX Spotting and SWL Spotting functions are a very nice addition. I downloaded a shortwave csv database from EiBi and the SWL search functions came to life. Just rename it to SWL.csv and put it in the same directory as the Thetis database.xml file.

If it keeps behaving like it has been today I don't think I will be rushing back to Protocol 1 anytime soon!

Rob W1AEX

200D
FW/Orion_NP_v1.3_TEST1.rbf
Thetis v2.6.2

"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:14 am

Thanks for the update Rob, most interesting, especially the part about importing 3.4.9 database
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:39 am

Hey All,

I've been looking in to the 200D v1.3 FW L & R 'ANAN headphone output' being swapped.

First I tried the 200D v1.3 FW with Thetis and my test was to use the Thetis pan for RX1 while listening to
a CW station.

For me that pan followed the movement to left on my headphones (as well as the VAC1 output on my PC speakers).

I then tried 200D v1.1FW and found that it was the same as above.

Then I flashed the 200D Orion_v5.2.rbf Protocol 1 FW and tested using PSDR v3.4.9
Here is where I found that the L & R audio was 'SWAPPED' although it seemed correct on the VAC1 PC output.

I then repeated the above steps using the P1 & P2 / PSDR & Thetis experment, but on my ANAN-7000
and it had the SAME results.

With those tests my conclusion is that the difference is with PSDR -vs- Thetis.

I may have not interpreted the problem correctly nor gone about testing it out, please advise.

Tnx,

-Rick / N1GP
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:56 am

Hi Rick,

Your logic seems impeccable to me! I only use VAC, so I'm not a good test case.

Sounds like we need to get the client dev's involved.

73!

Scott
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:17 am

Hi Rick,

With protocol 1 and OpenHPSDR mRX PS, when I plug stereo headphones into the front panel headphone jack of my 200D, moving the pan control for the main receiver to the right causes the audio to come out of the right earpiece, which is the expected outcome. (Using v5.0 firmware)

With protocol 2 and Thetis, moving the pan control for the main receiver to the right cause the audio to come out of the left earpiece. The same behavior occurs with the sub receiver, when its pan control is moved to the right the audio comes out of the left earpiece. (Using v1.3TEST1 firmware)

If SWAP is engaged with Thetis it behaves as expected, moving the pan control to the to the right causes the audio to shift to the right earpiece.

I wonder if this issue is in Thetis rather than in the firmware? I could make it work as expected simply by renaming the two on/off SWAP buttons in the skin files so they worked in reverse.

Thanks for the work you did with Orion firmware version 1.3TEST1 as Pure Signal with my 200D now works pretty reliably on all bands.

Rob W1AEX
NL7F

Postby NL7F » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:47 am

Using
200D
Thetis v2.6.2

Progress: I wiped out database.xml from Thetis data folder, stole a copy of PowerSDR 3.4.9 database,
launched Thetis, imported the PowerSDR database.

Now Rx2 works as expected.
Seg errors only for sample rate = 1536000.
Audio L/R still swapped compared to PowerSDR 3.4.9. Swap button only swaps Rx1, must use slider for Rx2.
Still no Panafall with Rx2 turned on, but ok with Rx2 off.
Predistortion works as expected.

Now Thetis is usable for me with minor work-arounds.

Past problems appear to be associated with the default Thetis database.
NL7F

Postby NL7F » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:15 am

Further investigation reveals:

Seg errors for sample rate = 1536000 only occurs if Rx2 is on.
No seg errors, no audio "chatter" if Rx2 is off even at sample rate = 1536000.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

A fix is being worked for the swapped audio. With luck it will be out soon.

All other issues except Seq errors are Thetis related so let's keep those separate, please and concentrate on the firmware only here.
NJ2US

Postby NJ2US » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Rob,

Can you get the SWL spots to populate the Panadapter display? I imported Eibi database sked-b18.csv renamed to SWL.csv, Thetis reads it, I can search it, but nothing showing on Panadapter. DX spots appear just fine.

Jeff NJ2US

W1AEX wrote:
.....The DX Spotting and SWL Spotting functions are a very nice addition. I downloaded a shortwave csv database from EiBi and the SWL search functions came to life. Just rename it to SWL.csv and put it in the same directory as the Thetis database.xml file.

If it keeps behaving like it has been today I don't think I will be rushing back to Protocol 1 anytime soon!

Rob W1AEX

200D
Thetis v2.6.2

W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:09 am

Jeff,

No, the SWL list was click-able and would instantly tune Thetis to a frequency in the list but it did not behave like the DX spots tool which did populate the Panadapter display. It behaved like the SWL list in Ham Radio Deluxe so I assumed that was the way it was supposed to be. I didn't mess with it for too long and have to admit that I didn't even look around for any information about how it was supposed to work.

I uploaded the new 1.4 firmware yesterday but have been away from the house for Christmas and haven't messed around with it at all. I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to give my 200D a good workout!

Rob
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:05 pm

200D P2 v1.4 Thetis 2.6.2

After about a week of use I have started to hit problems with reliability with P2/Thetis. These have been in two specific areas:

1. Continued problems with VAC instability: Thetis crashing with run away under/overflows. I have tried different settings, but none were fully stable. It worked fine with VAC switched off.
2. TX spectrum problem. First noticed that my linear amp was shutting down due to RF 'out of specified band'. Checked wide band on DUP, and sure enough there were a lot of RF spurs about 20-30dB down. Tried the usual database reset but this did not work. TX problems were on 20-6m but not on 160-30m.
3. TX power calibration problem. I noticed that my power calibration PA settings (TX Gain per band) had changed. I reset these but the settings were much different from what I had before. Most likely related to point 2 above.

For now, I have reverted to P1 v4.9 with PSDRmrx (all working well with this combination) and will await for developments.

73 Dave G3ZQH
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm

200D (REV 24) with Orion_NP_v1.4.rbf and Thetis v2.6.2

After a morning of casual operating with my 200D I can report the following:

1. The L/R audio seems to behave appropriately as it does in OpenHPSDR v3.4.9.

2. Pure Signal has been displaying clean corrections in AmpView from 160 through 6 meters at all sampling rates from 48000 to 1536000. I have not engaged in any long conversations to see if any "blowouts" occur but I have not seen any signs of instability (yet) in AmpView during 10 - 15 minute conversations.

3. VAC has been stable with the same settings that I use in v3.4.9 of OpenHPSDR as long as the Port Audio settings are set to zero in the In and Out fields and both "manual" boxes are checked.

4. I have not (yet) encountered the out-of-band spurs that Dave has seen but I will keep an eye out for them. Thanks for the warning Dave.

Rob W1AEX

200D (REV 24) with Orion_NP_v1.4.rbf and Thetis v2.6.2
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Thanks, guys!
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:30 am

Hi all !
Thanks to all developers.

I flashed FW 1.4. It worked longer under Thetis 2.6.2 than 1.3 did.
I set up Thetis keeping the 192000 sample rate. I copied manually all my settings
from PowerSDR.
Receiving did not show any major problem on all bands except the band keybooard for Rx1
which would always change to the broadcast band keyboard after every band change (Thetis related?)

On transmit the output power was 28 mW (milliwatts) at a maximum as if the PA was disabled...
(Alex was unchecked in setup : could that be the culprit?). Of course PS could not correct under theses circumstances.

And guess what happened ? it hung after about 90 minutes which is an improvement
from the 10 to 15 minutes it worked before. And I did'nt even warmup in my tests espacially on higher sample rates!
There is no restart possible of Thetis even after powercycling the radio. a fatal error occurs.

So stability improved but The Thetis-P2 system is still too unstable on my 200D-W7-I7 setup

73s Phil FM5GB
A92GE

Postby A92GE » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:11 pm

WU2O

Sorry for the belated reply as I was travelling for Christmas. So also a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you and anyone reading this.

I am using static addressing: computer is set at 192.168.0.1 and radio at 192.168.0.2.

David
A92GE
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:02 pm

Dave,

Obviously the PC can talk to the radio or you wouldn't be able to program it.

Are you using bootloader or programmer?

Have you tried the latest version from Rick?

You are using Thetis with Protocol 2 firmware, correct?

Scott
A92GE

Postby A92GE » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:17 am

I have tried both Bootloader and Programmer.

With the radio set up with Protocol 1 and fixed IP address, HPSDRProgrammer (Ver 2.0.4.10) will find the radio and I am able to program with new protocol (Today Orion_NP_ v1.4). It will go through the sequence of erasing device, programming device (both successfully), a relay clicks and then the Programmer can no longer discover the radio. Opening Thetis and switching radio on with software power button I get the message; error starting HPSDR hardware, is it connected and powered? Power cycling the radio and retrying makes no difference. The radio will not connect and also cannot be pinged.

I can then power down put radio in bootloader mode (switch on bottom of radio) use bootloader to load the old protocol 1 firmware, reboot and the radio operates correctly with PowerSDR. I can also load Protocol 2 firmware apparently successfully with bootloader but again on power recycle (with radio not in bootmode) the radio cannot be found. Same error with Thetis as above.

As I said the radio is connected to computer directly through a dedicated Ethernet Interface. Both radio and interface have fixed IP addresses. Once protocol 2 is loaded by either means the radio ceases to function.

David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Dumb question, Dave: is the NIC in your PC capable of Gigabit speed? With P2 loaded the radio Ethernet runs only at that speed. Do you get good link lights? Do the traffic lights flash? Does Windows report a GigE connection?
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:25 pm

Hi and best wishes for a happy, healthy and prosperous 2019.

Other dumb question : is your P2 v1.4 file corrupted ? Download it again and proceed.

73s FM5GB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:57 pm

Good point. It is easy to screw up the Git download. See here for more detailed instructions:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2376
F6IES

Postby F6IES » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Dear All
ANAN 200D ( WIN10 Pro 64bitsx64 core i7-7700k 4.2GHz 32GB Ram)
I tried Setup Thetis 2.6.2 with Firmware Orion 1.4 renamed "metis-Orion_NP_v1.4.rbf and the software installs correctly , radio works OK for about 30 to 40 seconds then stops and the software closes .
Tried setting 192K and 384 K same problem happens
Exactly the same behaviour with NP v 1.3 about same duration
Previously used protocol 1 with Ver 3.4.9 and Orion V 5.0 with no problems at all for many months

I read through the forum did not find similar issue mentioned
Did I do something wrong ? Any advice ?
Best regards HNY
Pierre F6IES
A92GE

Postby A92GE » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Thank you for your help guys.

I can confirm that the firmware is downloaded correctly - correct size etc.
I can confirm that the network adapter is 1GB compatible (works at 1GB if plugged into my router).
When Protocol 2 has been loaded my network adapter will not auto negotiate 1 GB with the radio. It stays at 100MB. If I force the adapter to use 1GB it reports network disconnected and the network lights on the radio are off. I have several high quality cables and none work. I am sure this is not an issue with the computer or cables.
It seems to me that Protocol 2 is breaking the network in the radio itself or the hardware in the radio is not capable of working at 1GB.

David A92GE
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi Dave,

When you have successfully programmed the Protocol 2 firmware via the bootloader.

Power off 200D, put bootloader switch back to operation mode.

Power on 200D, does the front LED to the right of the front power LED come up to a steady blink on/off?
That should at least confirm the firmware is running and not corrupt.

I had made a version of the v1.3 P2 firmware that runs at 100T -verses- 1000T. Maybe you could give that a try
and at least see if you can run P2 / Thetis. URL:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4w7s2ff5y5foel/Orion_NP_v1.3_100T_TEST1.rbf?dl=0

If that is successful then for some reason your 200D is having trouble running at 1Gb or there is something else in
the network preventing that rate.

Do you have another PC or laptop that has a 1Gb port that you could hook directly to the 200D?

-Rick / N1GP
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Hi Pierre,

I have seen Thetis 2.6.2 crash now and then when I was using it, but only intermittently, not regularly like
you are reporting.

One thing I have found successful when strange things are happening is to reset the database and start over.
Have you tried that and does that make any difference?

Also have you tried an earlier version of Thetis?:
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/releases

-Rick / N1GP
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:39 pm

Hi Rick
I think there is some cross-posting to another thread on the same topic. In another post I show the TX problem in more detail with some screen shots,

Thanks for your comments. I have had 1Gb running here with P2 firmware/Thetis for long periods (days) without problem, so it is stable enough on RX and I have used 384kHz bandwidth routinely and 768kHz with no problems. I do see the minor problems with VAC stability and L/R audio, but these I can manage with.

I always save a 'good' database version that I can revert to if needed. Also, I have tried re-downloading the firmware but this makes no difference. All excellent advice though!

My main problem is with TX, since I don't want to put out a bad signal and the multiple spurs seen when monitoring my signal in DUP mode are a big concern for me. This is the main reason I have reverted to P1 4.9/PSDR 3.4.9 which has been a very stable combination for me over several years.

What I plan to do is to buy a cheap SDR RX so that I can have an independent way of monitoring my signal. This should tell me if the TX spurs are just a DUP artifact or whether they are real.

Will keep you posted on any results- I would very much like to run P2!

73 Dave G3ZQH

n1gp wrote:Hi Dave,

When you have successfully programmed the Protocol 2 firmware via the bootloader.

Power off 200D, put bootloader switch back to operation mode.

Power on 200D, does the front LED to the right of the front power LED come up to a steady blink on/off?
That should at least confirm the firmware is running and not corrupt.

I had made a version of the v1.3 P2 firmware that runs at 100T -verses- 1000T. Maybe you could give that a try
and at least see if you can run P2 / Thetis. URL:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n4w7s2ff5y5foel/Orion_NP_v1.3_100T_TEST1.rbf?dl=0

If that is successful then for some reason your 200D is having trouble running at 1Gb or there is something else in
the network preventing that rate.

Do you have another PC or laptop that has a 1Gb port that you could hook directly to the 200D?

-Rick / N1GP
n1gp

Postby n1gp » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:52 pm

Hey Dave,

Actually that post you replied to was intended for David A92GE a few posts up in this thread.

I did see your posts concerning the spurs and the updated pics. Tnx! I meant to get back to you
but I'm back at work now and it sure is distracting me from my real interests.

I have had mixed results trying to duplicate your issue. When you first posted about it I was able to
see the spurs >30m fairly easily though not quite as bad as the ones you posted. (I'll try to follow up
with some pics of mine)

I went back in time with the FW back to P2 v1.1 and I was still seeing them. v1.1 was before me so I was
curious to see if it was something I introduced.

At some point I reset my database in T2.6.2, I started noticing that the SATT setting during TUNE was now
at 31. It was at 0 during TUNE. The spurs > 30m went mostly away.

That was pretty late at night and I haven't had a chance to play with it again. I know in your posted pics that
the SATT is always at 31. Plus you have the added response from your amplifier telling you it detects an out of band signal.
So I'm not sure whats going on.

Just as a test maybe you could try the v1.1 FW, reset to a default database without importing your backup, and recheck the tx spectrum.

I bought an SDRPLAY and use it quite a bit for checking things. I didn't see the spurs even when I was seeing them in the DUP (6m & 10m).

-Rick / N1GP
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi Pierre and al.

I am bothered with the same behaviour on Thetis 2.6.2.0- NP 1.4. Win7Pro- I7-4770K. I've been
somewhat more lucky and could use the system some 90 minutes before crash.
After that, no restart was possible without deleting all the files in User/me/AppData/OpenHPSDR/DB_archive and reinstall..
Previously (NP1.2, NP 1.3) crashed much faster after a few minutes, making valuable testing impossible.

Seems to be a difficult union between Thetis-P2 and Orion 200D. Are we facing a divorce ?

73s Phil FM5GB
A92GE

Postby A92GE » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:43 am

HI Rick,

Thank you for your interest in my problem.

Firstly when trying the 1GB Protocol 2 v1.4 I can confirm that after loading the software the light adjacent to the power button is pulsing as normal. There is just no communications with Thetis. The issue appears to be that the radio remains in 100T mode. After a reboot the network link light on the radio is illuminated and the network adapter auto negotiates to 100T. If I force the network adapter to use 1000T then the network link light on the radio goes out and the computer reports no cable connection. If I force the network adapter to use either 100T or auto negotiate again the network link light comes back on. In any speed the radio cannot be pinged or communicate with Thetis. There is no other network device connected to the network adapter so there is nothing else to interfere with the communications. It is a straight connection between the computer and radio. I have no other 1000T available computer here to check with at the moment.

Your 100T version of the protocol 2 software works. It communicates with Thetis. I haven't had time to test thoroughly but at least it is communicating!

David
A92GE
F6IES

Postby F6IES » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 am

ANAN200D w Thetis 2.6.2 and Orion NP_V 1.4 now working

Dear Rick NIGP and Phil FM5GB

I followed Rick's advice , reloaded the 1.4 firmware into the ANA 200D using Bootloader and reset the Thetis 2.6.2 database to blank one , set the HW to 192K
and redid all the adjustments in the TX audio chain using a looped recording of my voice ( Wawe menu)
The software did crash a few times when I tried to open the voice recording while transmitting but after all the adjustments done the radio worked fine for several hours without problem . I used VAC 1 , the WSJT-X worked fine as well .

It is true that the settings from 3.4.9 can be easily imported into Thetis 2.6.2 but My guess is that some of the imported settings from Protocol 1 openHPSDR ver 3.4.9 make the Thetis software crash
And when I start from a blank register , the software works
So for now I'll continue using Thetis 2.6.2 and keep in touch

Thanks for the advice and best regards
73! HNY Pierre
F6IES

However
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:44 pm

Hi Rick
Sorry for the confusion- too many Dave's! In the other thread I report that P2 v1.5 is now giving a clean TX spectrum ON DUP/Panadaptor across 160-6m on my 200D. Something strange is happening so I definitely need to buy that small SDR RX to confirm my TX quality.

Thanks again for your help.

73 Dave G3ZQH

n1gp wrote:Hey Dave,

Actually that post you replied to was intended for David A92GE a few posts up in this thread.

I did see your posts concerning the spurs and the updated pics. Tnx! I meant to get back to you
but I'm back at work now and it sure is distracting me from my real interests.

I have had mixed results trying to duplicate your issue. When you first posted about it I was able to
see the spurs >30m fairly easily though not quite as bad as the ones you posted. (I'll try to follow up
with some pics of mine)

I went back in time with the FW back to P2 v1.1 and I was still seeing them. v1.1 was before me so I was
curious to see if it was something I introduced.

At some point I reset my database in T2.6.2, I started noticing that the SATT setting during TUNE was now
at 31. It was at 0 during TUNE. The spurs > 30m went mostly away.

That was pretty late at night and I haven't had a chance to play with it again. I know in your posted pics that
the SATT is always at 31. Plus you have the added response from your amplifier telling you it detects an out of band signal.
So I'm not sure whats going on.

Just as a test maybe you could try the v1.1 FW, reset to a default database without importing your backup, and recheck the tx spectrum.

I bought an SDRPLAY and use it quite a bit for checking things. I didn't see the spurs even when I was seeing them in the DUP (6m & 10m).

-Rick / N1GP

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”