New Protocol 2 Firmware Released

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
w-u-2-o

New Protocol 2 Firmware Released

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 am

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware/tree/master/Protocol%202

INTRODUCTION

This release of the Protocol 2 (P2) firmware represents a significant improvement over the versions that had been posted some time ago to the repository. Most notably, these versions should run in a stable fashion on the vast majority, if not all, ANAN series radios.

The release covers all radios except the 10E and 100B. P2 firmware updates for those radios are still in progress and there is no estimate for when they will be released. The 8000 code should run on the 7000 as well.

REQUIREMENTS

P2 operation REQUIRES a Gigabit Ethernet connection to the radio hardware. As with Protocol 1 firmware, the radio hardware will only run at a single Ethernet speed, and with P2 that is the Gigabit rate.

P2 operation REQUIRES use of P2 compatible client software. At this time the following clients are known to be P2 compatible:

- Thetis, which is the nominal replacement for PowerSDR mRX PS. It includes most but not all of the features of PowerSDR, and a few features that are new. PowerSDR users will be immediately comfortable and productive with Thetis. Thetis also includes many "under the hood" improvements that should, ultimately, provide more reliable data processing (e.g. fewer audio glitches).

- SDR Console, currently in beta and available via Simon Brown's SDR Console online community.

- piHPSDR, for the piHPSDR controller hardware.

- linHPSDR, for those who prefer Linux.

INSTALLATION

Migration from Protocol 1 to Protocol 2 can be done using HPSDR Programmer or HPSDR Bootloader in the normal fashion. However, once Protocol 2 resides in the hardware, successive firmware loads will require the use of either a new P2 compatible programmer application or HPSDR Bootloader. Very detailed instructions are available here: https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

KNOWN BUGS & LIMITATIONS

This is BETA firmware, with all that BETA status entails. There will certainly be a number of problems and issues that crop up. In order to better track these, it is recommended that firmware discussions be concentrated here:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewforum.php?f=32

And client (Thetis et al) discussions be concentrated here:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewforum.php?f=5

Of course you are also welcome to use the legacy HPSDR and Yahoo email reflectors or other online resources as you prefer.

It should be noted that there is a potential concern for Angelia and Hermes based radios (100D, 100B, 100, 10, 10E). With the Media Access Controller (MAC) logic on the FPGA now running at Gigabit speeds, this causes the power consumption requirements of the FPGA to increase. On these SDR cards, overheating of the "F3" positive temperature coefficient (PTC) device which protects the 3.3V supply has been reported, with resulting erratic operation due to current limitations. It is not yet clear how significant this problem may be. The development team has not, as of yet, looked into a possible firmware based solution for this problem (e.g. creating 100BASE-T versions of the Protocol 2 FPGA images). You may need to consider a hardware modification to fully support Protocol 2 Gigabit operation.
w9mdb

Re: New Protocol 2 Firmware Released

Postby w9mdb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:43 am

Color me confused as to which firmware is for the 100.
I tried the previous P2 and the audio in WSJT-X didn't last long before it became too noisy and "fuzzy" to decode much. Would that be a symptom of the current problem referred to?
de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
kd8tut

Postby kd8tut » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:34 am

Regarding the hardware modification....

Is this a modified, or replacement, power supply? Or is it a modified cooling solution?
Ton_PA0TBR

Postby Ton_PA0TBR » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 am

Is it known how many receivers have been enabled in this version for the ANAN-100D?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 am

I'm going to suggest it is too early to start panicking over F3 issues. Let's see how this newest firmware performs on a larger sample of radios. There are a number of threads here to peruse: search.php?keywords=f3+ptc . Experience suggests it is not an issue for cooling or the PSU.

The firmware supports as many receivers as Thetis, piHPSDR and linHPSDR provide for. Not sure about SDR Console, but I believe that all 7 DDCs are available in the 100D.

Note: I will be off the grid for the next 12 hours or so--have fun!
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:00 pm

No go for me with the new P2 firmware for my Anan 200D. Doesn't work with either Thetis 2.6 or SDR Console v3.04. I get a connection to the radio, but just S9+50dB RF noise on all bands. I have reverted to the earlier version for now until there is more feedback from other users.

I'll be interested to hear if has worked for others using 200D or other Anan rigs.

73 Dave G3ZQH
w4kcn

Postby w4kcn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:37 pm

The new P2 firmware for my 7000 doesn't seem to get an IP address back from DHCP and resorts to a 169.254 APIPA address.

V3 Console is still able to somehow find the radio with that APIPA address, but Thetis is not.

I have tried to manually set the radio's IP using HPSDR Programmer, but to no avail.
w4kcn

Postby w4kcn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Helmut wrote::) The new firmware Protocol2 V1.3 today released does now enable to get full RF-output on my Anan 7000dle :)

Many thanks do all developers, the 7000dle does now receive an transmit with Thetis and SDR-Console 3.0.4 !

Helmut dl9eri / oe9eri

p.s.: you have to use in any case the BOOTLOADER to flash the firmware for Protocol2 v1.3 - HPSDRProrammer does not recognize the Anan !
and don´t forget to rename the firmware-file from Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_EPCQ_v1.3_N1GP_5-19_7rx.rbf to metis.rbf to flash !

Doesn't seem to matter. Both HPSDR Programmer and Bootloader program the radio seemingly fine. V3 is able to connect when either of the tools is used, however they both leave it with the APIPA address which Thetis can't find.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:48 pm

Dave--good feedback on the 200D. Let's see how others make out.

Chance--even Bootloader will not change the IP address on your radio?

Helmut--the error message you get from HPSDR Programmer after going from P1 to P2 is normal and expected. P2 firmware does not respond to and is not compatible with the P1 HPSDR Programmer. So once that move is made you are going to only get errors from P1 Programmer until you go back to P1. Review again this link: https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333
w4kcn

Postby w4kcn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:28 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Chance--even Bootloader will not change the IP address on your radio?

Scott,

I was able to program with the Bootloader and before power cycling (switch jumper) the radio set the radio's IP address.

Now Thetis seems to at least connect. I haven't done anything else, but will report back after having some time to play. V3 also connects without issue.

I had previously tried used Programmer to set the IP but that apparently wasn't successful.

Thanks for the suggestion.
NL7F

Postby NL7F » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:03 pm

No good on my 200D with Thetis 2.6. RF spectrum thrashes about +/-100dB. Predistortion non functional.
LSB transmit produces DSB with exaggerated USB.
Reverting to Orion 5.0 and PowerSDR 3.4.9.
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:18 am

Everything seems to work for me with my 200D Rev 24 except pure signal. No difference with or without it. Otherwise very stable as it seems.
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
w4kcn

Postby w4kcn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:36 am

Everything appears to be ok compared to h40 P2 firmware I've been running.

One thing I notice is that if I switch to V3 and come back to Thetis, PureSignal is very flaky if not non-existent.

Flash latest P2 firmware.

Connect via Thetis.
Two tone test via Thetis: success.
Disconnect (power button on UI).
Connect via V3.
Disconnect via V3.
Connect via Thetis.
Two tone test vie Thetis: no feedback

Reflash firmware via Programmer

Connect via Thetis
Two tone test via Thetis: success

Both Thetis and Console were open from the beginning to the end of the test. Two tone test were using a dummy load at ~100W.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Chance--your issues seems to be indicative of SDR Console leaving the firmware in an unstable state. We can point fingers later about whether it's the firmware's fault or Console's fault, although it is worth mentioning that successive Thetis sessions do not cause this problem. a) I'd suggest that re-flashing is a rather dramatic way of fixing the problem--did you try merely power cycling the radio hardware to restart the firmware? b) I'd suggest you mention it to Simon.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:22 pm

Got better news for 200D (Orion) users this morning: a newer version, v1.3, of the 200D P2 code is now posted. Give that a try instead. Forward instead of backwards! Note this update is only for the 200D (Orion), P2 firmware for all other radio hardware types remains the same.
sm0jzt

Postby sm0jzt » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:04 pm

Im confused with the versions of FW available.

Could version 1.6 be used also for my ANAN-10 ( non E) ?
https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmw ... LE-8000DLE)

Or is that only for the ORION based rigs.

73 de SM0JZT / Tilman
SM0JZT
Tilman D. Thulesius
http://radio.thulesius.se in Swedish
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:57 am

Only Orion MKII. See my post to your duplicate question in the other topic you posted in for more information.

Note: it is bad etiquette to shotgun out duplicate posts like this in multiple threads/topics.

Scott
SM4PEL.

Postby SM4PEL. » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:09 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
Note: it is bad etiquette to shotgun out duplicate posts like this in multiple threads/topics.

Scott

Scott! Why do you have such an attitude?
A member is looking for an answer and you do not like the way he is looking for the answer because it is in another thread !!!
You say it's bad etiquette.
I think you are showing worse etiquette!
Sorry I need to say that, maybe I'll leave your forum before I make the same mistake!
73's Peter SM4PEL
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:30 pm

Peter,

You act as if I gave Tilman some sort of major dressing down. It is merely helpful advice on proper forum etiquette. Such advice is given in every such forum on the internet. There is nothing special, mean or vindictive about it. Indeed, in many forums Tilman's duplicate post might have been summarily deleted without warning or comment, or singled out for vituperative calls of "DUP!!!"

I suggest in turn that you might "lighten up" a bit.

Scott
F6IES

Re: Thetis 2.6.2 and Orion 1.5 : All OK with ANAN 200D

Postby F6IES » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:26 am

Dear All
I had several problems with my ANAN 200 D and Thetis which were explained in past posts but I am pleased to write that since I flashed the 1.5 version of the new firmware protocol , and using Thetis version 2.6.2 for over a month now ( many hours ) the ANAN works witout any problems , Predistortion OK , Power OK , band change OK , wide bandwidth OK .
Only thing I did not try was the recorder glitch . I'll report on this later
Best 73 and congratulations with thanks .
Pierre F6IES ( France)
Gary_Sitton

Postby Gary_Sitton » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 pm

I have an old Anan 10. Can I convert it to P2??
73, Gary K5AMH
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:33 am

Re: Anan 100
Hope this is the most appropriate thread to report my experience with protocol 2. It has been running flawlessly at 384 on my Anan 100 with daily use for months so yesterday I decided to test at 768 and after a very long period of cq's on 6m with a reasonably high drive level the rig shutdown. This is most likely the previously mentioned P3 re settable fuse . After a few mins of cool down I could start the rig on RX but as soon as I tx'ed it shut down again which I guess was to be expected. After a longer period of cool down the rig is back to normal , in my humble opinion the benefits of P2 outweigh the limitations. Hope this info helps anyone considering upgrading.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:12 am

I have one problem with P2 and the ANAN 100. I'm running WSJT-X and the rig runs at < 10W.

Several times a day the transmit audio goes haywire which is obvious on the spectrum display...very wide noise floor around the signal. Power cycling PowerSDR brings it back immediately.

de Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 am

Hi Mike, I've seen that too on rare occasions. If you unclick manual under buffer latency and Enable/disable VAC this usually clears it for me rather than going through a power cycle.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Mike,

I've seen this more than once and it is REAL - being transmitted as VERY broad noise! It appears to be PureSignal losing its settings and having to re-calibrate or sync or whatever one would call it ... now if, rather WHEN I see it I immediately stop transmitting, go off the side where there is no activity on the pan, and just hit the foot switch - then just utter a word or two, hello, hello... and you can see the PS is once again back in control.

Gary
K9RX
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:46 pm

Just to clarify in my case I am not using PS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:50 pm

It tough to know if this is a software issue or firmware issue. When you cycle Thetis it will act to reinitialize the active settings in firmware. My personal opinion is that this is a firmware related issue.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 pm

On further testing on lower sample rates the same problem of crashing happens on my Anan 100 so perhaps this is in fact a firmware issue rather than P3 . Maybe the timing is failing when rig gets hot.

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”