Anan 10 and protocol 2 - No Rx ?

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
MabsA

Anan 10 and protocol 2 - No Rx ?

Postby MabsA » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 am

Hi all,

I decided to take the plunge and move my Apache Anan-10 upto P2/10.3 and thetis v2.52 which sees the radio and reports it's MAC.

So, not quite a brick, but the problem is no Rx, nothing on the waterfall..

One thing I did notice I see in red SEQ=>32. (not sure what that is...)
Wireshark is showing bucket loads of udp, and the windows b/w monitor is checking in at around 3.5M/b s at 96000 samples
Thetis database has been re-done a fresh.

Anan-10 has been selected as the Radio model, and I've checked that i'm in the right aerial socket.

Network wise, two Cisco gigabit switches (no QoS or the like) with gigabit fibre, PC is Xenon quad core, loads of RAM and HDD. nothing much else going on at network level. All of which worked quite happily pre upgrade.

Before I roll back to P1 3.2b, (thinking a bad flash.) is there any other wisdom I need to know/check.?

(I assume the little slide switch accessible through the hole on the bottom is "bootloader" mode)

73, Mark.
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 10 and protocol 2 - No Rx ?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:16 pm

The flash is unlikely to have gone bad, although you can certainly try it again. Similarly, it is unlikely that you have done anything wrong. The most likely answer is that the firmware is simply not making timing on your particular serial number radio. That is the single biggest problem with the Protocol 2 (P2) firmware builds right now: they do not make timing on all radios under all conditions.

So don't feel too bad that it doesn't work. I have run P2 on a 100D, 200D, and 8000. On all of them I have frequency FPGA crashes. I know they are FPGA crashes and not problems with Thetis because I have to power cycle the radio and simple push the "POWER" button in Thetis (really a "run/stop" button) to get things rolling again.

As for the little slide switch: do you have a 10E? I don't believe the 10 has a bootloader switch, it requires a jumper on the board, I thought.

Scott

P.S. moving this thread to the Protocol 2 sub-forum...
MabsA

Postby MabsA » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:03 pm

Scott,

Many thanks for you response..

I had a little tinker last night (work-radio got in the way of play-radio) and popped the laptop on the first switch, and lo .. every appears groovy, I could see PLT splattering HF as per normal, so all is ok with the anan-10.. I even moved the rate up until the laptop protested "No more!"

So that dispels myths of duff loads.

so... back to jolly networking, two Cisco SG-300, with a fibre backbone. (so I can armchair operate..) Something isn't making it from port <n> switch 1 to port <x> on switch 2 , back to wiresharking...

in the good 'ol days.. everything went everywhere via bridges, but these days, switched and/or routed networks are far more polite.

oh, and as far as I'm aware it's Anan-10 (dam confusing this numbering system depending on where you live and if its' 14. or 16bit)

Mark/G6RZA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:49 am

One problem I'm having on the 8000 here with P2 is that RARP does not work reliably (nor does ping), i.e. it appears there's something wrong with the MAC timing in the FPGA. To get around this I put a static entry in the ARP table in my PC. You might be having similar issues. Since you are using managed switches, check the ARP tables in both switches to ensure that the radio is properly represented, and use the arp command to make certain the radio is properly appearing in the ARP table on the PC.

Note also that you cannot run bootloader through managed switches. The bootloader code in the FPGA causes the MAC to use an address of 11:22:33:44:55:66, and this is an illegal address and is therefore rejected by every managed switch I've tried. Dumb switches work fine, however.

Scott
MabsA

Postby MabsA » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Hi all,

I did dome testing at layer 2, wasn't sure what to make of the results. (win10 firewall off)

I built a VM of windows 7, which sits on the same switch as my physical workstation. no problems, all happy.
I then brewed up a Windows 10 VM, no cigar.

After some testing, it appears Thetis is not happy on my build of Windows 10 Pro.

I've not had time to play around with compatibility mode to see if it can be co-ersed into life.
I know WIn10 had some changes in the Audio department and I've had a couple of other bit of software grumble (my DAB player wouldn't on Win10)

Simon's SDRC works nicely, (not got TX working yet) so that'll keep me going in the meantime.

73 de Mark.
k6avp

Postby k6avp » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:10 am

FWIIW, I am now running Thetis 2.6.4 on Win10 to operate an ANAN-100B running the 14bit P2 v10.2 FW. It seems to work fine on HF through 6m, at least on FT8 and SSB phone. I have had 2 program crashes of maybe 100 transmissions on 6m though, so maybe not perfect.

Hermes P2 v10.7 loads without any boot loader error, but radio is then not seen by Thetis. Apparently, that version is too big for the 14bit memory even though I have seen posts indicated the ANAN-10E will work with the 10.7 FW. Maybe some 10E's have a 16bit setup.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:41 am

You must have misread those posts. 10.7 will not work with 14-bit Hermes boards and no 10E's were built with 16-bit boards. However, some people refer to radios sold in Europe as xxxE, which might be some of the confusion. I.e. a 10 is a 10E, a 10E is a 10EE, etc.
Gary_Sitton

Postby Gary_Sitton » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:14 pm

So if I have (and I do) an old Anan 10, there's no P2 path for this SDR or what?
73, Gary K5AMH
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:14 am

There is a path:

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware/tree/master/Protocol%202/Hermes%20(ANAN-10%20and%20100)/Hermes_1000T_firmware

but there is no guarantee that it will run well on your serial number.

Scott

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”