8000DLE and Protocol_2_v2.1.18 Failure

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Forum rules
Until such time as the New Protocol firmware goes into general release, all discussion will be concentrated here.
efeustel

8000DLE and Protocol_2_v2.1.18 Failure

Postby efeustel » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:04 pm

I had a working 8000DLE under Thetis 2.8.11 until I bootloaded Protocol_2_v2.1.18.

After that I received no Signal video or audio with Thetis 2.8.11. I do receive video of the signal under SDRConsole V3.x.

I tried going back to Protocol_2_v2.0b. It installed but still no audio.

I tried a direct cable and installed Protocol_2_v2.1.18. There was no improvement.

Suggestions please.

TIA.
Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
w-u-2-o

Re: 8000DLE and Protocol_2_v2.1.18 Failure

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:24 pm

What was the original firmware that you had in there that worked?

How do you get audio out of the radio? Speakers/headphones attached to the 8000, VAC, what?

Have you tried reverting to a fresh database in Thetis?
efeustel

Postby efeustel » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:23 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:What was the original firmware that you had in there that worked?
Metis_Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v2.0b

How do you get audio out of the radio? Speakers/headphones attached to the 8000, VAC, what?
Direc from radio

Have you tried reverting to a fresh database in Thetis?

Yes. It does not help.

SDR Console 3
shows a signal for a while and then stalls.
The only things I see showing that v2.1.18 is working:
1 On the Setup>General page, it show Version 2.1
2. The Main display shows flashing on the Vox control indicating it is seeing an on-air signal

Thanks for your help.
Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:41 pm

The following is all grasping at straws a bit, because you say you had P2 running. That would argue against a network problem, or a problem with Thetis. It does beg the question of whether you are loading firmware properly, or if you maybe damaged a network cable or something equally unlikely but still possible.

Update to the latest Thetis beta, which is 2.8.11-21k3 at the time I write this. 21K3 has the ability to more properly read firmware versions. Be sure to follow the instructions carefully, particularly using the control key when starting it for the first time.

Go back to 2.1.18. Then report what you see in Setup > General for firmware version. If it reports 2.1.18, then at least we know that you are doing the firmware updates correctly.

Then, if that's the case and things still don't work, using Bootloader try reverting to Protocol 1. The latest is 5.4. Thetis will run with Protocol 1 at 192KHz sampling rate (so be sure to change that).

If P1 runs successfully, then we know it's most likely either a P2 firmware problem for you, or a network problem (because P2 requires GigE).
efeustel

Postby efeustel » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:42 pm

I am running the 32 bit version of Thetis because I don't have the magic instruction required for running the X86 version of Thetis 2.8.11 (F).

Because I have not patched a program, I chose to reload Protocol 1.5.4. It works with PowerSDR mrx and Thetis 2.8.11 (X86).
Audio and Video produce the expected results.

I then installed Protocol 2.0.4.4. I had been running this protocol with this version of Thetis for several months on Windows 10 (x64) Pro
with the latest updates with the only problem being CPU loading: when the I7-920 CPU load goes up to 50% my audio has severe distortion and splatter.

The latest Windows 10 seems to have many more processes and I can only reduce the CPU load by killing off background tasks. Even this does not cure the Windows 10 scheduling of tasks I do not want. Audio and Video are quite good otherwise. I am using an unmanaged Netgear 1 Gb switch.

With 2.0.4.4 or the 2.1.18, installed, the only audio I hear is when I turn the power on or off. I then have a click in the speakers that are attached to the rear right and left jacks. No pan-adapter spectrum appears when receiving or when transmitting. The little meter under Vox does move around indicating the presence of audio. My VAC channels are both disabled. With 2.1.18 installed the General page shows version 2.1.

I will next try to install Thetis beta if i can figure out how to properly overwrite F with the six updates to get to K.

Thanks for your help.
Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:03 pm

Ed,

If you have a processor that won't run 64 bit Thetis then you can't upgrade.

If P1 firmware 5.4 is working then that means you are not making any mistakes using Bootloader.

It also means that the problem is P2 firmware specific.

I have two hypotheses right now:

1. You keep writing about how your PC is rather underpowered for running the radio. What sample rates are you using with P2 firmware? Try changing both RX1 and RX2 to something very low, like 192KHz or even less.

2. It is possible, but unlikely, that your specific serial number 8000 can't run Protocol 2 firmware. If true, this would be due to the unique combination of FPGA speed, trace lengths, power supply voltages, and temperature that exists in your 8000. Unlikely, but just throwing it out there as a possibility.

No matter what, it certainly sounds like you need to get a better PC in order to properly run the radio with any combination of software and firmware.

Scott
efeustel

Postby efeustel » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:42 pm

I had been running Thetis at 380+K for several months successfully prior to the failure with Protocol 2 v2.1.18.

I uninstalled Thetis, removed all its appdata information and reinstalled it. I had hoped that the problem was due
to a corrupted table somewhere. Evidentally not. I will try to update Thetis to the K3 version and see what happens then.
Thetis I/O had been about 20Mbits down and 10Mbits up in the past and cpu utilization due to Thetis was on the order of18%
so I did not feel that the CPU was under-powered. But Windows 10 has been restructured with many more tasks. I also need
to make the I/O fix discussed elsewhere in this topic.

Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:45 pm

Hi Ed,

I have been following this thread to see if you have made progress with this. The symptoms you are describing are very similar to what I ran into when the Windows Firewall began creating DENY rules for Thetis and SDR Console. According to Simon Brown, the symptom where SDR Console runs for a bit and then stalls is due to blocking of an ACK confirmation between SDR Console and the ANAN. In my case, the Windows Firewall had automatically created a DENY rule that caused this. Starting with Thetis v2.7.0 Windows decided to begin creating DENY rules that blocked full communication between the software and my ANAN. Thetis would come up, and I could briefly hear audio bursts (randomly) but the panadapter was blank and I could not tune around. Oddly, I could transmit with Tune and produce power but could not actually PTT the radio with voice or CW. When I checked the firewall I found multiple DENY rules for Thetis. Again, weirdly, older versions of Thetis worked fine, but v2.7.0 and later were affected by this.

You might want to check to see if Windows has decided to create DENY rules that hampers communication between the ANAN and any software you try to use with it.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
efeustel

Postby efeustel » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:49 pm

Rob,

Thetis 2.8.11 does work with Protocol 1.

Using the Windows Security interface, I only see the upper level rules.
I noted that there is a rule for ALL on Thetis 2.8.8 and for Open HPSDR THetis 2.8.8 but none specifically for 2.8.11
There are rules for Thetis Public which is blocked and Thetis Private which is accepted.
I'll experiment and see if it is a firewall issue.

Thanks for your input.
Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
efeustel

Postby efeustel » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Rob,
You were correct in your assumptions.

The problem was in the Windows 10 Pro (x64) Firewall! When I specified Thetis's latest version as a program allowed to pass the
firewall and fixed all other possible Thetis rules to include Public and Private to pass, Thetis now works!

The Failure problem has been solved!
Ed, AI1R
Ed, AI1R
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:36 pm

That's brilliant, Rob! I wonder why a firmware update caused new firewall rules? Maybe because Protocol 2 uses a different port range than Protocol 1.

Return to “Protocol 2 Firmware (all radios)”