Anan 10E RX attenuation and tx delay

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
Iz4juk

Anan 10E RX attenuation and tx delay

Postby Iz4juk » Tue May 23, 2017 7:06 am

Hi All,

after owning the Anan 10E (14 bit) since almost a couple of years, I'm still facing a couple of issues which I'd like to explain you, maybe I'm not the only one.

Attenuation on high bands:

on 15, 12, 10 and 6 mt my RX seems to be quite deaf.

I'm sure there is a strong attenuation. Comparing in with my TS590S, some signals are just unreadable. 

I calibrated the RX with a 50ohm dummy load and a stable signal, but it didn't help. 

Last evening with a local friend on 6mt with the Anan I wasn't able to copy him, no signal and nothing heard. On my TS590S we was 5/5 - 5/6  and we had a qso for a hour.

TX delay:

Some ham operators sent me records of my transmission. I always noted that my emission was ending a little earlier than my last word was ended, like if I was leaving the PTT a little earlier. Very strange. So a frined from New York told me he was reconrding me on his mobile phone and I therefore made some tests. To avoid this problem I had to apply a delay in my TX of some hundreds msec. Otherwise the last couple of letters of my last word was cut off.

I'm sure I never leave the PTT before I stop talking.

The delay is quite uncomfortable, imagine in contest or in CW pile up.

Am I the only one facing these kind of "issues"?

'73

Giuseppe IZ4JUK
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 10E RX attenuation and tx delay

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 23, 2017 9:34 am

Giuseppe,

Not sure what's going on with the deafness on the higher bands. Do be sure that your step attenuator is set to zero during receive. Double click above the attenuator button to get it to change to "S-ATT" (if I remember correctly) and set it to zero.

With respect to the latency in the transmit chain, that's normal for SDR radios. However you can minimize it by going into DSP setup and selecting the "low latency" (really minimum phase FIR) filters. Also try seeing how small you can make the primary buffer size (in Setup > Audio > Primary) without getting audio or panadapter dropouts on receive and transmit. With careful adjustment you should be able to get latency below 100mS easily.

Are you running your audio through VAC, or with a microphone plugged into the radio? If you are using VAC then other adjustments to improve latency are also possible.

Scott
Iz4juk

Postby Iz4juk » Tue May 23, 2017 11:52 am

Hi Scott
Thanks for your reply.
All the attenuator values are set at zero.

My mic is plugged directly into di anan.
As a pc i'm using a very powerfull desktop with i7 processor 4950k, ram dominator 2400 mhz, ssd and Graphic card able to manager a 4k monitor.

The problem is that i can't hear any latency. I was able to hear it only once some friend sent me the record of my transmission.

So I should try to do the same with the hope to avoid any decresce of rx filter performances.

Giuseppe iz4juk
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue May 23, 2017 2:10 pm

Remember that the speed of your PC has no effect on latency. A digital filter of a given number of stages and a given sample rate takes as long for data to traverse on a slow PC as it does on a fast PC.

Return to “Hermes 14-bit Firmware (10E, 100B)”