Andromeda???

The word from the top!
Forum rules
Only admin's and moderators can start a topic in this forum, but anyone can reply to an existing topic. Off topic replies will be deleted.
w2ner

Re: Andromeda???

Postby w2ner » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:06 pm

hb9trt wrote:Hello together

This is my first post here. I have some additional information to my now nearly or completely finished project.

1. The case files works well, but need some rework by yourself. Because I only made 2 cases one for me one for another OM, I did not correct some small errors with some wholes which are not correct. Also the wholes for my additional components I have to drill. The correct Frontpanel File is "vorne.fpd" the other frontpanel files are not for this case. It's for the panel version, where the transceiver, in my case the Odyssey 2, is in another case away from the panel connected with some cables. This version is not finished yet.

2. My ody2 project also consists of the additional bands 4m,2m and 70cm inside. Also 23cm is now possible but needs a redesign of my if boards.

3. 10 MHz reference is built-in or can be mounded external. There's a gps Antenna connector on the backside. The signal will internaly distributed to all boards with reference input like ody2 and the transverters.

4. The actual if switch with add on Board can handle 3 transverters. If 4m is not needed 23cm can took its place. All is directly controlled by thetis. No need to manually switch to the additional bands. They are only available on RX1. RX2 is an independent RF entry primary for use with diversity.

5. Because I don't get an answer from Abhi about the dual encoder knobs I design my own ones and let them professionally print. They looks and feel very good.
For the vfo knob I took the one from elecraft k3. Also the stand.

6. I built in an Intel nuc 10th generation, i7, 16gb ram and 512gb ssd. Also windows is optimized for maximum performance. It's planed to charge it with a 11th generation nuc if it's available.
So I get a second thunderbolt out for additional peripherals or a second monitor.

7. A built in Bluetooth soundboard is for one of thev2 built in speakers and the external speaker connectors on the back side. One internal speaker is connected to the sound output if the ody2 board.

8. I also made a fan controller which controlls the 2 fans which are inside the case for maximum silence and cooling power. 2 sensors measure the temperature of the pa and in the travsverter section. Controlled by the software Argus.

9. It's a need to modify the Andromeda Controller for using with the ody2. With other sdr board's I think also. It is designed for the Andromeda by Kjell and Lawrence. Bit it could be modified for other projects as you see

10. I also changed the fet im the pwm control for display brightness with a 470 ohm resistor. With the fet I had a flickering display. This change need a correction in the source code of the Andromeda Controller. Otherwise the direction of the encoder was inserted.

11. I use the cheap ball bearing optical encoder instead of the encoder which is originally for the Andromeda Controller. This needs also some changes in the source because of the higher resolution of this encoder. But the haptic us excellent with this encoder better than the other one (I can't remember the type).
The other one we use for the panel version because of the smaller size

12. For power distribution I made another extra board with a 20A relay. This switch on the pa and all other components by pressing the on/off button on the Andromeda Controller.

Vy 73
Reto/hb9trt

VERY NICE!
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:14 am

Thanks for explanation Reto 8-)
YL2GVC 73!
IK2LRN

Postby IK2LRN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi, i would like to know the model of the original display used for the production.
73 Luca IK2LRN
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:21 pm

NHD-7.0-HDMI-HR-RSXP-CTU
Look in Digikey or Mouser. But it is out of stock. IC hell in action :cry: But there are bit different screen in Digikey: NHD-7.0-HDMI-N-RSXN-CTU
I do not post exact link, because sometimes it vary from country to country. If you need it urgently, better buy it 8-) It will ask more job from, because it doesn't contain metallic backplate, which goes exactly to Andromeda. Remember, there are free delivery to EU from 50EUR ;) That's mean you can order just screen.
YL2GVC 73!
IK2LRN

Postby IK2LRN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi , thanks for your useful info.
Also the main encoder is out of stock.
I am thinking about to postpone the project at next year.
I am a very lazy man and I do not wont extra work.
Luca
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:53 pm

Come on :lol: I am lazy too :D Problems with parts will not normalize earlier than next autumn :cry: I think there will be not so much to do ;) Just bent few metal plates or print on 3D printer 8-) I mentioned earlier in thread other encoder from Ali, as well as "small" encoders ;-) I like that big one encoder much more than original 8-) It goes to Andromeda, you just need to make hole for it bigger before you start to solder ;) Any questions?
P.S. I forget one important thing - case!!! If you are going to do anything with Andromeda, there will be a lot of to do with case, because there are not ready one :roll:
YL2GVC 73!
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Hi all,

just finished my Hermes/Hercules Combo...
I know I'm late. Does anybody know where to get Andromeda PCBs?

TNX

Volker

DL4ZBG
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:27 pm

You can sometimes get the Broadcom encoders on ebay - or an least a close variant. The ones typically on ebay have 0.025" square pins designed to go to a PCB below the encoder, whereas the intent for andromeda is the encoder is behind the PCB and the pins go upwards..... but you just need to desolder and resolder them.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:14 pm

You can make your own batch 8-) If there are no interest right now, it will appear when you will get these boards. That's like happen with me :D When I ask before ordering, no interest at all. When I got them on hands, they went with lightning speed ;) Even if you order 10, they all will go ;)

dl4zbg wrote:Hi all,

just finished my Hermes/Hercules Combo...
I know I'm late. Does anybody know where to get Andromeda PCBs?

TNX

Volker

DL4ZBG
YL2GVC 73!
w3ub

Postby w3ub » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:15 pm

Is Andromeda finally shipping? Has anyone received theirs? Any comments or reviews from them?
Doug
ramdor

Andromeda screen size

Postby ramdor » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:36 pm

Does anyone know the native width/height in pixels of the display to be included with the Andromeda radio?

Thanks, Richie.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:38 am

Richie,

All front panel data is available from the git repo referenced near the top of this thread:

https://github.com/laurencebarker/Andro ... nt%20panel

Just in case nobody knows the answer of the top of their head (which I don't).

Edited to add: display Is a Newhaven PN: NHD-7.0-HDMI-HR-RSXP-CTU.

https://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd70hdmihrrsxpctu-p-9649.html

1024x600

Tiny!

Scott
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:07 am

w-u-2-o wrote:1024x600

:shock:
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:48 am

It is a 7" display with that resolution. Text is small, but readable.

That's why we had to do a lot of changing to get a usable display format. It might have been possible to shrink the "classic" display to fit, but the buttons were then too small for fingers.

It is a touch screen display. You can touch and operate the button bar on the screen, and could have the physical buttons assigned to something else if you wanted.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:26 am

This display is currently NOT available, as everybody interested in this project knows (and will not be for months).
In order to get further, I bought this one in the meantime:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08RHX ... UTF8&psc=1

Resolution will be scaled automatically to 1024x577. (see attachment)

However, if someone is willing to work on the collapsed view for Andromeda, this will be highly appreciated.

Volker
Attachments
IMG_1887.JPG
IMG_1887.JPG (3.28 MiB) Viewed 44903 times
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:11 pm

Digikey promise, that original display will be back in stock at April. But price are MUCH higher :shock:
https://www.digikey.lv/en/products/detail/newhaven-display-intl/NHD-7-0-HDMI-HR-RSXP-CTU/10229807
Anybody could try to buy it directly from producer, price are much better.
https://www.newhavendisplay.com/nhd70hdmihrrsxpctu-p-9649.html
YL2GVC 73!
IK2LRN

Postby IK2LRN » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:11 pm

Hi, the producer said that the availability has been postponed at October.
Luca IK2LRN
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:10 pm

I’m confused (which is not out of the ordinary for me - lol) I have two of the “Black Version” ANAN 7000 DLE MKII transceivers and I love them! I think I’d like an Andromeda or at least the Version with the built-in i7. Prices have now gone up, so Black Version is $3,100 with Shipping (I add HP i5 laptop with 256/16 for $600 = $3,700 Total. On my other one, I bought an HP i7/512/16 for $1,000 = $4,100 (BTW: Identical performance).

Andromeda/i7/512GB/16GB is $4,744

ANAN-7000dlE MKII i7/512GB/16GB is $4494

I get the impression that the Andromeda Display is not too great and that I’ll end up using an External Monitor.

My question is - what am I really gaining? Any comments or experiences would be appreciated.
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:52 pm

Dave--with all due respect to the folks who are keen on the Andromeda, and at the risk of committing heresy of some kind, it doesn't make sense to me.

The thing is, there are some people who are very attached to having something that approximates the same look and feel of a more conventional radio. As for myself I find this desire unfathomable, but it clearly exists, and Andromeda has a definite following, as is clear from this very topic.

The price you pay for an all-in-one box with some knobs on it is most likely obvious to you already. A smaller screen with lower resolution. The inability to more easily upgrade the various components such as the display and the built-in PC. Those components become a single point of failure. And the higher overall price. A keyboard and mouse is still required to keep the system upgraded, or to run logging and other software on the built-in PC. Or one is faced with the additional complexity of a separate PC and making CAT and audio run over a network connection.

But for many the allure of having a radio that looks and feels like, say, an FTDX-10, is worth any other price they have to pay. And at least it is a much better solution than one of the Pi controllers because Andromeda preserves the full capability of the radio as it uses the Thetis software.

Personally I much prefer multiple 4K displays, a good mouse and a small MIIDI controller for the very few knobs and buttons that I (very rarely) want as real knobs and buttons. And 4K touchscreen monitors are relatively inexpensive on Amazon, if I ever felt a touchscreen was necessary.
IK2LRN

Postby IK2LRN » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:33 pm

Hi All, the original display is now available at Digikey !
Luca
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Tue May 24, 2022 1:58 am

IK2LRN wrote:Hi All, the original display is now available at Digikey !
Luca

Hi Luca,

I'm listening to my Andromeda right now ;-) It is running great! I received it on 5/21/2022. It took about 10 days to get from VK land to California. I paid $44.75 in duty to get it past US customs. Shipping was DHL - who did a great job.

Steve KA6S
Phrotus

Postby Phrotus » Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 pm

Steve (KA6S),

That is excellent news and thanks a million for the particulars.
Maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel that is not a train :).
73, Tom W4TMW
drwil

Postby drwil » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:33 pm

I ordered an Andromeda on May 22, 2022. Still waiting for the shipment notice. However, is there anyone here or on any other forum actually using one? Thank you. Dr.WiL - NM4W
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:59 pm

Yes - I have an Andromeda - and I received about the time you made your order. Note that I waited 13 months for mine. However - their shipping times seem to have come down to the 8 week time frame. I've seen some folks on the Facebook page receiving their orders lately.

Steve (KA6S)
WR4N

Postby WR4N » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:18 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Dave--with all due respect to the folks who are keen on the Andromeda, and at the risk of committing heresy of some kind, it doesn't make sense to me.

The thing is, there are some people who are very attached to having something that approximates the same look and feel of a more conventional radio. As for myself I find this desire unfathomable, but it clearly exists, and Andromeda has a definite following, as is clear from this very topic.

The price you pay for an all-in-one box with some knobs on it is most likely obvious to you already. A smaller screen with lower resolution. The inability to more easily upgrade the various components such as the display and the built-in PC. Those components become a single point of failure. And the higher overall price. A keyboard and mouse is still required to keep the system upgraded, or to run logging and other software on the built-in PC. Or one is faced with the additional complexity of a separate PC and making CAT and audio run over a network connection.

But for many the allure of having a radio that looks and feels like, say, an FTDX-10, is worth any other price they have to pay. And at least it is a much better solution than one of the Pi controllers because Andromeda preserves the full capability of the radio as it uses the Thetis software.

Personally I much prefer multiple 4K displays, a good mouse and a small MIIDI controller for the very few knobs and buttons that I (very rarely) want as real knobs and buttons. And 4K touchscreen monitors are relatively inexpensive on Amazon, if I ever felt a touchscreen was necessary.

Scott, I have come to completely agree with your conclusion (with the exception of those who feel they lack basic computer literacy - if the Andromeda comes 100% ready to operate - than I can understand a particular demographics of buyers). For me, the 7000 DLE MKII and my HP VICTUS Gaming Laptop w/ 15” display, have become a dream come true.

I do wonder about one point I’ve heard some make. Some who claim to have had all models, say they experience no RFI issues with a model that has an internal computer. But that sounds illogical to me.
RADIO: ANAN 7000 DLE MK2 (Black Version) Thetis 2.8.11.
PC: HP Desktop - Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) - 16GB memory - 512GB SSD - Intel UHD Graphics 630 - WINDOWS 10 (100% Dedicated to ANAN)
PS: ASTRON 35 AMP (100% Dedicated to ANAN)

Best 73s,
WR4N - David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:56 pm

WR4N wrote:Scott, I have come to completely agree with your conclusion (with the exception of those who feel they lack basic computer literacy - if the Andromeda comes 100% ready to operate

Alas, while it might come that way, it won't stay that way for long. You'd have to keep it from ever touching the internet or totally lock it down from upgrades. And then who can possibly keep their mitts out of it? Every computer, and it's a straight shot Windows computer in there with straight-shot Window OS, begs to be customized, software added, etc.

It is possible to lock it down with a write protected operating system and the very few settings files needed maintained on a writeable volume, but AFAIK it does not come that way and nobody has ever motivated to do this with their system.

I do wonder about one point I’ve heard some make. Some who claim to have had all models, say they experience no RFI issues with a model that has an internal computer. But that sounds illogical to me.

No, it's totally reasonable that they should have no RFI issues, with proper engineering. However there have been posts about RFI problems from time to time with the 7000's with integrated PC's, so it can happen with that design, although not so often that it seems to be the norm.
LA2NI

Postby LA2NI » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:32 am

Hello.
A short comment about RFI when the PC is built into the same enclosure as the radio. In the prototype I built and have used for > 2 years, I had no problems with RFI except some spurs from the Aries ATU. But I decided to connect the ATU only in the TX signal path. As I normally use resonant antennas this does not reduce the sensitivity of the RX.
I have not tried to reduce the RFI from the ATU but it is coming from the Arduino.
And to the discussion about the Andromeda consept: From the first day I started to use OpenHPSDR equipment I did not like to be totally dependent of using a mouse to do all the controls of the radio. >10 years ago I built a radio with all units in one enclosure and a Griffin rotary encoder for the frequency control and potmeters for audio. I still had to use a mouse for the other controls. But when John Melton found that CAT controls could be used, I started to think of constructing a complet front panel. So together with Laurence, G8NJJ we came up with Andromeda. And it must be obvious that there are many other HAMs that like this consept. I am very glad that it has been used with other SDR units than OpenHPSDR.
I see that it can be difficult to find the original 7 inch display from Newhaven and it has >doubled in price. I know that Abhi is using another display so he must have changed the PCB layout. I can search for another another display, may be with better resolution. But then the PCB must be modified for that display. I can do a new layout using KiCad. Then other people can easily do modifications in the future.
73, Kjell
va7qi

Postby va7qi » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:44 am

Well, I have to jump in with a few comments:

The discussion about buttons or not is a little like discussing the brand of beer. I prefer ESB and a number of buttons on my radio since my space for monitors is limited and I also think that buttons many times are faster to operate than a mouse, but that may depend on your setup. I regularly use the PI Controller because of the buttons, but need some additional ones, such as the ones on Android, so I am really looking forward to receiving mine.

Alas, I have yet to hear an update on my order. I ordered in April and paid the $2K deposit. No answer when I ask Apache for an ETA.

Something I am a little confused about. The pictures shown on the Apache web site and on the brochure shows a modular connector for the microphone, but Tony says that is is the same kind that is on the 7000 DLE. What do the few people that have already received an Android found?

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.
drwil

Postby drwil » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:27 pm

va7qi wrote:Well, I have to jump in with a few comments:

The discussion about buttons or not is a little like discussing the brand of beer. I prefer ESB and a number of buttons on my radio since my space for monitors is limited and I also think that buttons many times are faster to operate than a mouse, but that may depend on your setup. I regularly use the PI Controller because of the buttons, but need some additional ones, such as the ones on Android, so I am really looking forward to receiving mine.

Alas, I have yet to hear an update on my order. I ordered in April and paid the $2K deposit. No answer when I ask Apache for an ETA.

Something I am a little confused about. The pictures shown on the Apache web site and on the brochure shows a modular connector for the microphone, but Tony says that is is the same kind that is on the 7000 DLE. What do the few people that have already received an Android found?

73 de va7qi, ....Erik.

Good morning. I've heard many of my friends that bought the 7000 DLE are using and buying midi-boards to use buttons on theirs, lol.

In regards to the updates from Apache Labs, Tony from support has indicated that all backlog orders for Andromeda will be receiving an invoice by the end of this month. I spoke with Tony on the phone Thursday morning this week. He indicated that I should receive the invoice for my order by today Friday (Melbourne, Australia time). I have not received an invoice yet (Friday USA time). I did have a telephone conversation with Tony in person. He was very polite and very reassuring. However, I have not received an invoice. So honestly I do not know what the status is of the Andromedas.

It appears they are lost in the universe (LOL).

Best regards,

NM4W - Dr. WiL
administrator

Postby administrator » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:41 am

Hi All,

All remaining Andromeda preorders will be invoiced and shipped this week,

We apologize for the delay due to the factory being closed for Diwali,

Please expect an invoice this week if you have an Andromeda preorder.

Regards,

Tony

Return to “Apache Labs News”