Andromeda???

The word from the top!
Forum rules
Only admin's and moderators can start a topic in this forum, but anyone can reply to an existing topic. Off topic replies will be deleted.
laurencebarker

Re: Andromeda???

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:23 pm

Yes, I did say the texts were different. What Kjell has provided is the open source PCB and FPD; I've provided the software; but I know Abhi has made changes subsequently to make it look better (eg removing the mounting holes). None of those are a barrier to making your own!

I don't use FPD but I think Kjell's design was from a while ago, before the final text was fixed. It would be wise to check!

I haven't used the FPD but it would probably be wise to overlay it over a print of the PCB to check the positions. There were some movements of mountings and connectors at the bottom left.

Kjell may be away for a week or so so he might not see this for a while.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:46 pm

Ouch :? If I am going to make my own, then I should make triple check. Actually I have plan to modify PCB as well, but that is hell of job 8-)
YL2GVC 73!
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:22 pm

I have a question for all around 8-) Anybody will build Andromeda by themself? Most of the parts became much cheaper in group buy. I am looking very serious on build it by myself 8-)
Is it OK to chat about Andromeda DIY in this forum? At least, I think new thread should be opened, like "Andromeda DIY". I have bunch of questions about hardware :roll:
YL2GVC 73!
dj1yr

Postby dj1yr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:02 am

Hello,

...I would be there...
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 am

Best with front panel starts from 10 pieces 8-) But it necessary to adjust it, because it doesn't match PCB. And any body who will take group buy care. I asked frontpanelexpress.com for advice, but they wasn't very helpfull :? Answer was, we can produce everything, show us, what do you want. But I am not sure what I want, that who are in business for years should help. And there are possibility to get good price in China for case. But I didn't get clear answer yet. I am afraid, they are interested in BIG batches, not small. As well, there are HUGE :shock: prices for delivery. Case 50EUR, delivery 150. frontpanelexpress.com produce cases as well, may be it will be cheaper from them :lol: frontpanelexpress.com actually are not alone in this business, there are bunch of such companies around. They advantage are they own useful and simple CAD soft.
I understand, there are summer outside 8-) But guys, be more active!
YL2GVC 73!
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:10 am

I've copied the text below (from John Melton, G0ORX) from the HPSDR email reflector, in case it helps. There are other suppliers of front panels!

"The panel is aluminium from accurate-laser.co.uk. Sid Boyce, G3VBV, ordered two of them. He said that two were less than the cost from www.frontpanelexpress.com for one. I just had to export the design as a step file rather than the fpd file that the front panel design app generates by default."

I don't think Kjell had a front panel made from his FPD file; it was just being used as a drawing package. We looked at the cost and decided against it for prototypes!. As far as I know Kjell's prototype Andromeda was hand-made but he is rather better at that than me. I still have a PCB lying on my desk which is great for software development but not so good for operation.

Don't underestimate the cost of metalwork. Getting a few units made to a professional standard is likely to be very expensive (don't think just hundreds....) I know there are suppliers who sell boxes to put homebrew hifi equipment into, that may be possible to adapt. Or possibly some kind of PC chassis could be used as a starting point, with a cosmetic outer cover added.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:28 pm

Laurence, I don't underestimate that costs ;) Most of the people look where it is cheaper :lol: It is a good point, that you give us one more producer, if anybody know for what else we need 8-) All necessary positions are possible to get cheaper. Just right place and guy who will take care of it. We have a good experience with Munin buy 8-) As well as with TAPR in past.
Do you know when Kjell will be back?
YL2GVC 73!
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:44 pm

Hey,

don't know, if they have good prices, but they have good quality:
https://www.schaeffer-ag.de/en/front-panel-designer

73 de Ernst
OE3IDE
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:46 pm

:lol: it is same producer, what we talking about before ;)
YL2GVC 73!
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 pm

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:13 pm

I have not bothered to put the parts list into DigiKey, but a really rough guess as follows for low quantities (USD):

Front panel: $150
Display: $150
Bare PCB: $50 (you only need the main board)
Parts including the large encoder: $150
Chassis: $100 (assuming you do something nice, not a junk drawer job)
NUC or SFF PC: $400-$800, depending on performance.

Remember you will not need the front panel microphone, key, headphone or USB connectors, those can be deleted because as a truly remote interface you will either run those devices off of USB sound or serial connections, or plug them directly into the ANAN hardware.

So I'm SWAGing it at anywhere from $1000 to $1500 to build one of these in low quantity, including the PC. Call it $500 without the PC.
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I think that's a fair estimate for low quantities, Scott. You might shave $50 from the parts, and there are other (lower quality) displays available.

As far as I know Kjell has gone deep sea fishing. He is usually away for 1 to 2 weeks so we should expect him soon. I will send him a message that there could be some traffic for him!
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
dj1yr

Postby dj1yr » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:57 pm

I could transfer the fpd to CAD.

I think that you will end up with 70-80€ per front panel from Schaeffer, PCB from Fischer cost arount 40€/piece with production of three PCB´s or 22€/piece for production of ten
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:40 pm

dj1yr wrote:I could transfer the fpd to CAD.

I think that you will end up with 70-80€ per front panel from Schaeffer, PCB from Fischer cost arount 40€/piece with production of three PCB´s or 22€/piece for production of ten

That would be nice 8-) Schaeffer for single buyer will cost twice as. PCB from Chinese PCB fabs in small(5) will cost no more than 15 EUR or even 10. Bigger batch significantly will lower price. Same as with front panel. Group buy cry for us 8-) Who will be that nice guy, and will take care of it? Other thing, if ordering goes from outside EU, we should find best income point. Because some countries, inside EU, are more friendly to custom taxes for such cases :roll:
YL2GVC 73!
administrator

Postby administrator » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:07 am

Fantastic to see so many home brewers interested in the project,

I am happy to share my modified front panel design file, and just so you have a fair estimate as to the costs see below:

Please be aware that just the encoder costs (6 x Dual + Tuning) for the front panel is $125 plus the cost of parts/PCB/Touchscreen and Encoder caps which is another $275-300 including the PCB. Making it a total of $400 for the front panel.

The 10th Gen i5 NUC plus OS and RAM/SSD is $650, for the i7 it works out to $800,

The enclosure if made by protocase is exorbitantly costly at $600, Front panel in low quantities 10+ is about $120 from front panel express.

Volume production requires an MOQ of 100 units or more and is substantially cheaper, you may also choose to make your own enclosure.

Abhi
Attachments
Andromeda FrontPanel.zip
(41.23 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks Abhi for design 8-) My five cents :) I think, use NUC isn't the best way. I reported some time ago, that I bought mainboard based on i7 8550U. If look right now, it has some disadvantages. Only 1ch DDR, no DP, no USB-C 3. no NVME. But when I try run it under PSDR, no problems, even on hardest setting + CW skimmer 8-) Right there are even more powerfull chips appears, like i9 9880U. I didn't see offers, where such mainboards are sold separately. But, as I get my board, just patiently ask sellers, can they sold just mainboard, till one seller say, YES 8-) I think they can be interested, even in batch of 10. It's quite often price break line. If look on that chips on Ali, there are ready computers, with memory, SSD and case, what make it more expensive. I don't know why, but I can buy memory and SSD much cheaper locally. I am going to solve one my board disadvantage, I found, there are mini PCIE USB-C 3.1 gen2 cards 8-) And with proper hub, I will solve some problems with my board. A bit long :lol:
YL2GVC 73!
administrator

Postby administrator » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:14 am

We decided on the NUC after trying out several other platforms, the decision was based on the combination of Computing Power, RFI and overall stability of the platform. The NUC form factor is very compact, uses a SoC rather than a CPU/Chipset (this combination which require several high speed buses to be laid out on the PCB causing significant digital hash) when placed in the same enclosure as the radio causes birdies and noise floor degradation of the receiver.

Even the i5 NUC has a lot of headroom when running two receivers at 1536Khz, CW Skimmer and wsjt-x at the same time.

Abhi
administrator

Postby administrator » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:17 am

The 10th GEN NUC does support Dual Channel DDR4, NVMe, USB 3.0 v2 and Thunderbolt 3.
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Sad :( No any movement... It looks like activity, I hope so, wil come around autumn 8-)
YL2GVC 73!

Return to “Apache Labs News”