New Protocol 1 (current protocol) firmware Orion_v4.9 available for Orion/ANAn-200D

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
K5SO

New Protocol 1 (current protocol) firmware Orion_v4.9 available for Orion/ANAn-200D

Postby K5SO » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:54 pm

All,

Orion_v4.9 firmware is available for download from

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware

This firmware version changes the Tx DAC reference clock timing to fix PureSignal functionality on some Orion/ANAN-200D radios. This timing change has resulted in curing the “failure-to-update-cor.cnt-of-PureSignal-in real-time” problem in PureSignal on the ANAN-200D here. Hopefully this version will operate successfully on a wider range of ANAN-200Ds.

73, Joe K5SO
DL8LAQ

Re: New Protocol 1 (current protocol) firmware Orion_v4.9 available for Orion/ANAn-200D

Postby DL8LAQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:04 pm

Hi Joe,

looks good so far :-) Thanks!

73, Norbert
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
DO2ZA Erwin

Re: New Protocol 1 (current protocol) firmware Orion_v4.9 available for Orion/ANAn-200D

Postby DO2ZA Erwin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Hello all,
FW 4.9 works fine on my Anan 200 D, Board Rev. 24.
Thanks to all Programmers!!!

73 Erwin
Anan 7000DLE MK2 black, P.2 v2.1.18, WIN 10, 10.0.18362 (1903), i7-7700 @3.60 Ghz, 2x Monitor 24"@144 Hz and 1x 32" Monitor @120 FPS for Thetis
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Hi Joe,

I installed v4.9 on my Orion board and everything runs smoothly. I suppose v4.9 is the official release of
the v4.9test version I tried before.

Big thanks for your good job.

73s Phil FM5GB
therealboss

Postby therealboss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:41 am

I installed v4.9 on my 200D Orion board and everything runs smoothly, Thinking of dabbling with playing Protocol 2 again but don't really see any advantage as v4.9 is working well and offers more features than if I run Protocol 2 and Thetis.

I guess Protocol 2 will take over in the near future but only time will tell.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:09 pm

therealboss wrote:I installed v4.9 on my 200D Orion board and everything runs smoothly, Thinking of dabbling with playing Protocol 2 again but don't really see any advantage as v4.9 is working well and offers more features than if I run Protocol 2 and Thetis.

The feature set is nearly identical at this point. Remember that features are primarily defined by the thick client, which is PowerSDR and Thetis (and SDR Console, which is in alpha'ish/beta'ish status right now). PowerSDR and Thetis have been leapfrogging each other a little bit. Thetis, with the new protocol, allows the following additional features right now:

- Higher sample rates, up to 1.5Msamples/sec; this replaces "stitched receivers"
- No restrictions on sample rate vs. PureSignal (although the current PureSignal algorithm does not work optimally at sample rates above 192KHz)
- A full spectrum display showing the entire output of the ADC (but you have to disable all preselection "Alex" filtering to see it)
- Spotting in the panadapter

That's pretty much it for functional differences at this point. 90% of the differences are really "under the hood" and are setting the stage for much greater things to come. Thetis is thus just a tool for proving that the new protocol firmware works and is stable. Once that hurdle is cleared then the limits for what can be done in the client software will rise substantially.

Scott
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:10 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:
therealboss wrote:I installed v4.9 on my 200D Orion board and everything runs smoothly, Thinking of dabbling with playing Protocol 2 again but don't really see any advantage as v4.9 is working well and offers more features than if I run Protocol 2 and Thetis.

The feature set is nearly identical at this point. Remember that features are primarily defined by the thick clients, which are PowerSDR and Thetis (and SDR Console, which is in alpha'ish/beta'ish status right now). PowerSDR and Thetis have been leapfrogging each other a little bit. Thetis, with the new protocol, allows the following additional features right now:

- Higher sample rates, up to 1.5Msamples/sec; this replaces "stitched receivers"
- No restrictions on sample rate vs. PureSignal (although the current PureSignal algorithm does not work optimally at sample rates above 192KHz)
- A full spectrum display showing the entire output of the ADC (but you have to disable all preselection "Alex" filtering to see it)
- Spotting in the panadapter

That's pretty much it for functional differences at this point. 90% of the differences are really "under the hood" and are setting the stage for much greater things to come. Thetis is thus just a tool for proving that the new protocol firmware works and is stable. Once that hurdle is cleared then the limits for what can be done in the client software will rise substantially.

Scott

Return to “Orion Firmware (200D)”