New current protocol (Protocol 1) firmware for ANAN-200D version 4.8 released

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
w-u-2-o

New current protocol (Protocol 1) firmware for ANAN-200D version 4.8 released

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:48 pm

From Joe...

All,

There is a new version of Orion firmware, Orion_v4.8, for the current protocol (protocol1), available for download at:

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware

This version implements the peak detect feature for FWD_PWR (AIN1) and REV_PWR (AIN2), improving stability of the SWR readings in software. It also fixes a previous bug with external PTT IN (pin 13 of the accessory jack on ANAN-200D). Details are described in the release notes document on the download page.

73, Joe K5SO
DL8LAQ

Re: New current protocol (Protocol 1) firmware for ANAN-200D version 4.8 released

Postby DL8LAQ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Happy Easter!

I did a quick try but failed to load 4.8 in my 200D. After writing v4.8 the progammer failed to discover the board with the loaded 4.8.

I had to use the bootloader to get back to v4.7. I tried it again, two times, but no successs.

73, Norbert
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
N2XD

Re: New current protocol (Protocol 1) firmware for ANAN-200D version 4.8 released

Postby N2XD » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

I had no problem loading 4.8 here.

John N2XD
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Ahhh! I downloaded the file again with MS Edge instead of another browser and now is has the correct size!

73, Norbert
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:45 am

Hi all,

I flashed v4.8 : installs flawlessly but no Pure Signal operation is possible. I had to return to v4.7

73s Phil FM5GB
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:34 pm

Hi Phil,

I did a quick test and PS seems to work with my setup. No external coupler, still to be build...

73, Norbert
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 pm

I am curious as to why v4.8 seems to work for some ANAN-200D users but not others. I have prepared a test firmware version to evaluate a specific timing change in the design. If there are users of ANAN-200D willing to test this version as to PureSignal operation I would appreciate hearing the results. In particular, I would like to know if PureSignal works for you at all and second, I would like to know if the cor.cnt values in the Advanced Pure Signal window updates during the PureSignal two-tone test while the test is running, or if the cor.cnt only updates the displayed value when the two-tone test is halted.

Here is a dropbox link to this v4.9_test1 version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7v1zwkmabizb ... 1.rbf?dl=0

Thanks!

73, Joe K5SO
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:49 pm

Hi Norbert

I did several flashes back and forth. And no luck PS will not work under FW 4.8. I tried all tricks : resetting database, importing data base.
Nothing helped. PS does'nt even show any feed back, correction or even waveforms in the amp view.
So I'ma back again on FW4.7
:?:

73s Phil FM5GB
Onnosr

Postby Onnosr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:35 pm

K5SO wrote:I am curious as to why v4.8 seems to work for some ANAN-200D users but not others. I have prepared a test firmware version to evaluate a specific timing change in the design. If there are users of ANAN-200D willing to test this version as to PureSignal operation I would appreciate hearing the results. In particular, I would like to know if PureSignal works for you at all and second, I would like to know if the cor.cnt values in the Advanced Pure Signal window updates during the PureSignal two-tone test while the test is running, or if the cor.cnt only updates the displayed value when the two-tone test is halted.

Here is a dropbox link to this v4.9_test1 version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7v1zwkmabizb ... 1.rbf?dl=0

Thanks!

73, Joe K5SO

Dear Joe,

I tested 4.8 and 4.9 test 1 with 3.9.15.0 (anan 200d rev 24).

Pure signal works with both firmware's perfect with intern coupler barefoot and extern (homemade) coupler and linear. (>55db -- imd)
Cor.cnt runs (updates) during 2t test.

73 Onno PA0ONO
Last edited by Onnosr on Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:41 pm

Dear Onno,

Thank you for the prompt testing on your radio and reports.

73, Joe K5SO
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Dear Phil FM5GB,

Would you mind testing the v4.9_test1 version for me please?

Thanks!

73, Joe K5SO
FM5GB

Postby FM5GB » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:44 am

Hi Joe,

I did test FW v4.9_test1.
Now Pure Signal behaves normally :

- feedback indication and correcting both light up (feed back turning red when I disengage crosstalk with no external sample- I have a coax relay on RX1 input)
- signal monitoring on an external receiver shows excellent correction by PS.
- cor.cnt increments continuously with time when running a long two-tone test; this counter will stop when Single Cal is selected. Turning Pure Signal off then on again will resume counting on correction counter. To reset the counter I have to shut down HPSDR and relaunch it.
All this seems to be normal.

I hope the info will help
Thank you much for the great job you do Joe :D

73s Phil FM5GB
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:31 am

Hi Phil,

Thank you very much for testing the firmware for me and I'm pleased to hear that it works on your system. It is confusing to me though because this version doesn't work quite that well for me here. While PureSignal does the corrections on the rf output normally the cor.cnt values in the PureSignal window do not update here during the two-tone test but only updates after the two-tone test is halted. I do not understand this behavior but I'll investigate further; likely this differing behavior is due to a subtle timing issue although frankly at the moment I do not understand the issue well enough to be able to predict on what systems it will work properly and what systems it won't.

Thanks again for the tests and reports!

73, Joe K5SO
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 am

Joe,

At the risk of stating the obvious, the reason it is working for Phil and not you is because the timing is not being met across the entire population of radio hardware. As the firmware is becoming more and more complex, it would appear that the timing model in the version of Quartus that is being used is no longer capable of effectively modeling the entire population of hardware.

If there is no way to obtain a better tool, i.e. we are stuck with Quartus Lite, then there will need to be a better way of validating firmware against the tools we have. If we could identify a set of alpha/beta users that represent "problem children" for new firmware (I know that my radio represents such a case on a regular basis) then we could have each new version of firmware tested by these corner cases first before release.

However, if we can identify such a group of radios/people, I suspect that the results would be somewhat disheartening, i.e. that every version released to that group would never run on all of those radios successfully.

Thanks,

Scott
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:55 pm

K5SO wrote:...
In particular, I would like to know if PureSignal works for you at all and second, I would like to know if the cor.cnt values in the Advanced Pure Signal window updates during the PureSignal two-tone test while the test is running, or if the cor.cnt only updates the displayed value when the two-tone test is halted.

Hi Joe,

the cor.cnt value updates while two tone test is running, the value counts up continuously. And there no change in the tx spectrum, it's stable.

73, Norbert
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:25 pm

Thanks for the tests and reports, Norbert. Much appreciated.

Yes, Scott, thanks. We've discussed this issue numerous times before, thanks for reiterating it.

I keep thinking that there might be one or two timing constraints that, if identified, could be adjusted such that they fall in a "mid" range between known max/min failure values such that the mid range settings allow operation over all hardware units. While that sounds like a plausible goal in practice it is quite difficult to identify the constraints that fall into that category due to the sheer number of constraints that are involved. It is not at all clear to me that the paid subscription versions of Quartus would resolve this for us, although admittedly I do not know much about those versions of Quartus. No matter what version of Quartus is used one of the central problems is that it cannot be effective in solving timing problems unless we accurately tell it what the actual range of delays of pathways external to the FPGA are. These we have to estimate and those estimates may be incorrect over the entire range of hardware out there and will therefore result in different behavior on some machines.

I don't know what the answer is, of course, but upgrading from Quartus Prime Lite to a paid subscription may not in fact solve our problems. The problem may be that we don't have the skills in hand at present to solve these problems definitively using the tools that we have, and we might well still have the same problems using a paid subscription version.

73, Joe K5SO
Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:22 pm

Good afternoon Joe. Since I just recovered from bricking my early mod 200D it is right at 3 years old purchased direct from Apache Labs, I though I might give the 4.9_test1 a try. Well from 15 w to 100 w on all bands with an AC2IQ external sampler it works well. There is a slight bump of a red feedback indicator then it turns green with normal correcting. On 6m all is normal till I get over 50w then I get a blue feed back light with NO correction.

Hope this helps.
Justin K5WAZ
K5SO

Postby K5SO » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Okay, thank you for the tests and report, Justin. Appreciated.

73, Joe K5SO
w8er

Original 200D Firmware

Postby w8er » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:07 pm

Hi to all,

My name is Larry W8ER. I recently acquired a beautiful 200D. It has version 4.9 of the protocol 1 firmware loaded. I am curious as to what version of firmware originally was loaded on the 200D from ApacheLabs and if it was updated in the later production units, just before they stopped producing them. So far, it appears that 4.9 must have been loaded by the previous owner.

The reason I ask is that I am seeing some strange activity when using PS. I have reports that my signal occasionally goes wide and the audio distorted for a brief second before returning to normal. I am seeing the "feedback" icon normally flashing green but occasionally going red and blue on me. I have read everything I can find on the issue and found that getting my audio level up to consistent peaks of "0" on the mic meter seemed to do the best as far as minimizing any problems but they still occur.

Running Firmware 4.9 on the 200D and PowerSDR version 3.4.7 with a sample rate of 192khz. Computer is i7-4790k with 16 gb RAM and an NVMe 240 gb SSD. CPU utilization is about 6% normally.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments?

-- Larry W8ER
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:29 pm

Larry,

Any problems you are experiencing with PureSignal are almost certainly not related to firmware version 4.9. That version is quite known to be quite reliable.

There are a great many reasons that you may be having problems with PS, or just think you are having problems.

I suggest re-engaging on this with a new post in the PureSignal sub-forum.

Scott

Return to “Orion Firmware (200D)”