New 7000DLE MKII owner - Want to run Thetis

FIRMWARE TOPICS ONLY--non-firmware topics will be MOVED
txSDR

New 7000DLE MKII owner - Want to run Thetis

Postby txSDR » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm

Hello,

I just received delivery of a new Anan 7000DLE MK II. I'd really like to run Thetis. I see so many threads about protocol upgrades, firmware upgrades, etc. Can someone give me some advice and if my new radio needs a firmware upgrade to be able to run Thetis can someone point me to a forum post or document with instructions? I see so many scattered threads and discussions but nothing like a "here's how to upgrade your 7000DLE MK II to run thetis" step by step. I know that's asking for a lot - thanks in advance for any assistance and guidance!

TxSDR
W1AEX

Re: New 7000DLE MKII owner - Want to run Thetis

Postby W1AEX » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:36 am

The best place to start would be to read through the 3 sticky posts at the top of this section of the forum:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewforum.php?f=18

Then read through the firmware list for your 7000 MKII here. It will be a matter of trial and error to determine which firmware release works best with your Orion MKII board. Generally, the firmware where Pure Signal works best is the firmware you would want to start out with :

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192

Then read through the Thetis v2.7.0 thread below with particular focus on Richie's first post explaining that you need to install the final release of v2.6.9 so that you can unzip the latest v2.7.0a3 update into the v2.6.9 folder.

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3345

The installer for the final release of Thetis v2.6.9 is here:

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/releases

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
txSDR

Postby txSDR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:10 pm

W1AEX,

First - thanks for the reply. I've enjoyed your AM Modulation / SDR focused videos on YouTube for years. Always great information... I've been gathering supplies to make try to make some quality AM with my Anan station (REA Modulation Monitor, LP100-A, 2x3-500Z amplifier, etc.)

In your opinion, should I run protocol 1 or 2? Or better question - is protocol 2 required to run Thetis? I'd prefer the most stable/less experimental branch (I realize that means I probably shouldn't run Thetis yet then) of firmware for things like diversity, pure signal, etc. (reasons why I bought a 7000DLE MK II). Ultimately, if possible - I think would be great to have both Thetis and latest OpenHPSDR installed so I could switch between the two.

Thanks,
TxSDR
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:32 pm

Not Rob, but IMHO, if you have an Orion MKII based rig, i.e. a 7000 or 8000 series radio, you should be running Protocol 2 and Thetis. You might have to fuss around a little bit to find the exact version of Protocol 2 firmware that works best on your specific serial number hardware unit, but there are very few people who have not been able to get it to work well on the Orion MKII board.

And, yes, you need Protocol 2 firmware to run Thetis (and vice versa) ;)

Scott
txSDR

Postby txSDR » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks for the replies Rob & Scott!
txSDR

Postby txSDR » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 pm

I successfully upgraded my Anan 7000DLE MKII to Protocol 2 and Thetis last night and WOW - I love this radio even more! I haven't read through the release notes to fully understand the major differences, but there's just something more satisfying about the panafall & display on Thetis vs. previous OpenHPSDR - it's much more smooth.

I'd say for those on the fence - just do it! My i7 laptop ran OpenHPSDR OK but I received lots of pops and clips in the receive audio which I always attributed to resource contention, but I experience none of that with Thetis & protocol 2.

I realize this info is all over the forum (granted, in much more verbose instructions) AND there are multiple bootloader program options/versions, but here's the exact procedure I used: (mods, feel free to move this post to the firmware update forum if you want)

I successfully upgraded my Anan 7000DLE MKII to Protocol 2 and Thetis last night and WOW - I love this radio even more! I haven't read through the release notes to fully understand the major differences, but there's just something more satisfying about the panafall & display on Thetis vs. previous OpenHPSDR - it's much more smooth.

I'd say for those on the fence - just do it! My i7 laptop ran OpenHPSDR OK but I received lots of pops and clips in the receive audio which I always attributed to resource contention, but I experience none of that with Thetis & protocol 2.

I realize this info is all over the forum (granted, in much more verbose instructions) AND there are multiple bootloader program options/versions, but here's the exact procedure I used: (mods, feel free to move this post to the firmware update forum if you want)

1. Downloaded Thetis 3.6.9 - I am using Windows 10 and installed using "Thetis_v2.6.9.0_Setup_25Jan20.msi" downloaded here: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Thetis/releases & install (Installs like a standard windows installer)

2. Download Protocol 2 Firmware & Rename file so it includes word "Metis" in the filename.
2a. Open the following link https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Firmware/
2b. Browse to the "Protocol 2" folder
2c. Browse to the "Orion_MkII (ANAN-7000DLE-8000DLE)" folder
2d. The firmware version/file I used (Orion_MKII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf) can be downloaded from this folder. *** Note - you can't just "right-click/save as" the .rbf file when browsing this directory, you must click on it like a standard hyperlink and then once you are on the subsequent page, there will be a link to view the file as raw and your browser will prompt you to download it. This is a quirk of browsing the software/source code repository Github.

If all else fails I've uploaded the firmware version that I downloaded & used (with the filename already modified to include "Metis") to this post and can be downloaded direct link here:
Metis_Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf
(1.65 MiB) Downloaded 305 times

2. Rename the firmware file (in my case Orion_MKII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf to something with "Metis" in the filename. I chose to put it at the beginning of the existing filename, so I ended up with "Metis_Orion_MKII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf" Apparently “Metis” has to be in the filename for HPSDRBootloader to recognize it properly. *** If you downloaded the firmware file from this post instead of from the TAPR Github repo, this step is not necessary as the firmware file attached to this post has already been renamed.

3. Install WinPCAP & HPSDRBooatloader. Download WinPCAP Installer I use here (You don't actually interact with WinPCAP, it's just required by HPSDRBootloader): https://www.winpcap.org/install/bin/WinPcap_4_1_3.exe and HPSDRBooatloader 2.0.4.4 2015-1-29 windows installer here: https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Proto ... loader.msi

4.Start HPSDRBootloader 2.0.4.4 2015-1-29

5. Power off the 7000 and flip the small switch on the bottom of the radio to the on position. I don't think mine is marked, just flipped it to the opposite direction than it currently was.

6. Power the 7000 back on

7. In HPSDRBootloader program click “Test for Bootloader”. You should see the Board MAC Address appear. This means it found a radio that it should be able to upgrade.

8. Browse to find and select the firmware file you renamed (Metis_Orion_MKII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf)

9. Press the “Program” key. It will start the operation to erase your 7000 and reprogram it.

10. Once successfully reflashed the HPSDRBootloader program will say something like "reboot and flip the switch back" (paraphrasing)

11. Turn the 7000 off, flip the switch on the bottom to the original position and then power it back on.

12. Fire up Thetis and enjoy!
Last edited by txSDR on Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:18 pm, edited 8 times in total.
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:36 pm

thanks for the step by step - but when/how did you install Thetis itself?!

Gary
txSDR

Postby txSDR » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:44 am

I edited my post to include missing info.
EI2HH

Postby EI2HH » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:54 am

My 7000DLEMkII is brand new, running Open HPSDR right now.

Do I need to update the firmware to run Thetis? Is there any way of telling?

thanks

Andy EI2HH
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:33 pm

Yes Andy you do need to upgrade to protocol 2 firmware.
EI2HH

Postby EI2HH » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:55 pm

Oh I assumed it'd already be Protocol 2.

Is there a guide to doing this on here?
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:55 pm

EI2HH wrote:Oh I assumed it'd already be Protocol 2.
Protocol 2 firmware is still in a beta state. Thetis is as finished as PowerSDR (meaning they both have bugs and don't meet everyone's idea of what the feature sets should be ;)).

Also remember that no matter what you may read, Apache only produces hardware. They deliver it with the open source, openHPSDR Protocol 1 firmware on it. Firmware and software are open source products produced by a very small number of part-time, volunteer developers.

Is there a guide to doing this on here?
The closest thing is W1AEX's post above in this very topic. Did you see that?
EI2HH

Postby EI2HH » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:00 am

Ah thanks for the explanation. I thought the explanation above was for older units- I see now it does apply.

Andy
WD4BBQ

Postby WD4BBQ » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:29 pm

Hello everyone.

I just put a deposit on a MKII Black version. I am trying to absorb as much information as I can. This thread has been very helpful.
We are now at Thetis-v2.8.11. Is it worth upgrading to this version? I will be starting from the beginning. Will I need to start with v2.6.9 and then use Richie's zip file to update to version 2.7.0? from there do I need to install any other versions prior to installing version 2.8.11?

Thanks for your patience and expertise.

Walt
WD4BBQ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:06 am

Running the latest version is definitely worth it.

Install the latest production release, which is 2.8.11:

https://github.com/TAPR/OpenHPSDR-Theti ... ag/v2.8.11

Then follow the instructions here to patch to the latest beta:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3817

Return to “Orion Mk II & III Firmware (all 7000, 8000 & Andromeda Variants)”