ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

administrator
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:20 am

ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby administrator » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:32 am

Hi All,

Some users of the 8000DLE are experiencing SWR trips when using the Radio amplifiers, this is because most amplifiers can have an SWR of 1.5:1 or higher, the Microprocessor based primary protection in the 8000DLE with the initial controller firmware is sensitive to this, therefore, we have released an updated controller firmware which resolves this issue:



https://apache-labs.com/download_file.p ... ds_id=1015



The process to update the firmware is enumerated in the ANAN-8000DLE user guide pages 72 through 75:



https://apache-labs.com/downloadsfiles/ ... -Guide.pdf


Thanks to Warren NR0V, Doug W5WC, Joe K5SO an Clyde K2UE for the fix,


73,

Abhi
w9ad
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:37 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby w9ad » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 am

Thanks to all for this update. I was noticing a greater sensitivity to SWR on the 8000 over the 100d.
Am trying my best to follow the instructions but I get "Error compiling for board Arduino Nano" . Any Idea what I might not be doing correctly that gives me this message? Dave
User avatar
W2PA
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby W2PA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:38 pm

I just applied this patch and it went without a hitch. But here are some tips that might help you if you find the instructions in the draft manual just a bit confusing, which you might if you're less familiar with this stuff. You might want to mark up your manual with these additional tips.

1) On page 73 of the draft document, in the section labeled "Open Sketch with Arduino IDE": This is an example of how to load a "sketch" (a program in the Arduino world). You don't need to actually perform these steps yet. You'll follow them later, on page 75, using the new file you downloaded in this forum thread that Abhi pointed us to, instead of the one named here on page 73.

2) On page 74 of the draft, in the section labeled "Add LCD display library:" The four bullet points aren't all things you do, they first describe what you're doing, then name the menu choices you make to do that function. They're better understood when written like this:

- Setup board to compile, by choosing this sequence from the Tools menu:
Tools → Board → Arduino Nano
- Verify the sketch will compile by choosing this sequence from the Sketch menu:
Sketch → Verify/Compile

3) On page 75 of the draft, in the section labeled "Start Arduino IDE", the first step says "Start the Arduino IDE and load the sketch (see above)." By this it means to start the IDE as described on page 73, then follow the procedure to load the sketch, as described on page 73, except use the file you newly downloaded, i.e. the one labeled CONTROL_BOARD_v1.06b - NOT the one named on page 73, which is SSPA_V08_1.01. Do complete the part about adding the library.

4) If you still need help, just ask here.
73,
Chris, W2PA
User avatar
John
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby John » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Upon receiving the 8000DLE and getting it operational I noticed the rig had high sensitivity to SWR on SSB. Downloaded the SWR sensitivity "fix". Seems that the issue is corrected for SSB. However just tried a long run (many contacts) on CW and found the SWR sensitivity issue still very much exits. The rig goes into SWR mismatch and must be reset. The SWR of the antenna is 1.28. Rig displays 1.2. This occurred always upon the initial transmit of the CW string. No predictable regularity. Was on 20 meters. Varying power levels did not matter. If i remember the software version was 1.06B but the display after loading and running the new code showed 1.06?
Have not looked at the code but perhaps a short delay before the SWR measuring begins?
KR0P, John
User avatar
KA1GXR
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby KA1GXR » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:04 am

John wrote:Upon receiving the 8000DLE and getting it operational I noticed the rig had high sensitivity to SWR on SSB. Downloaded the SWR sensitivity "fix". Seems that the issue is corrected for SSB. However just tried a long run (many contacts) on CW and found the SWR sensitivity issue still very much exits. The rig goes into SWR mismatch and must be reset. The SWR of the antenna is 1.28. Rig displays 1.2. This occurred always upon the initial transmit of the CW string. No predictable regularity. Was on 20 meters. Varying power levels did not matter. If i remember the software version was 1.06B but the display after loading and running the new code showed 1.06?
Have not looked at the code but perhaps a short delay before the SWR measuring begins?
KR0P, John



There is room for version confusion here. The latest Protocol1 8000dle firmware released Saturday is 1.6.
The LCD version upgrade to fix excessive SWR alarms is 1.06. Both address aspects of high SWR alarming. The LCD update is tricky. Use the above reply hints to help the process.

73
Tom
KA1GXR
User avatar
John
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby John » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:06 am

Tom
I am running protcol 2 and Thetis.
The sketch upload seemed to complete with no errors. Does your 8000DLE show version 1.06 on the display or 1.06B after the firmware upload? If yours shows 1.06B then my upload was not successful (Although the SSB SWR error issue was addressed after the firmware was uploaded).
?
Thanks
John
User avatar
w-u-2-o
Posts: 691
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:47 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:55 am

John,

In addition to confirming you've got the right LCD microprocessor code loaded, I'd suggest reverting to protocol 1 and PowerSDR. There's no guarantee that protocol 2 and Thetis will work properly regardless of the LCD firmware revision.

Unfortunately I can't guide you on what the 8000 LCD should say, version-wise, as I do not have one.

73,

Scott
User avatar
John
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby John » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:28 am

Scott I may have to revert.
Looking at the arduino code at the moment. The version number in the code is still 1.06. In other words the filename/sketch name is 1.06b but the code was not changed to reflect the version change.
Now will look at the SWR routine.
Thanks
John
User avatar
W2PA
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby W2PA » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 pm

John,

I can confirm that the display says 1.06 on mine, after application of the update.
73,
Chris, W2PA
User avatar
John
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby John » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:52 pm

So, looking at the arduino 1.6b code there is no hysteresis in measurements of SWR. I added 250 msec delay before fault trigger and that cured the random SWR mismatch errors. Code will fault if SWR is greater than 3.5 and power is greater than 50W, seems generous enough. Noticed on the front panel display that sporadically would see a high reverse SWR graphically and numerically displayed (into a dummy load btw). Almost like RF output was allowed before a relay was in a fully closed state. Don't like that possibility. So reverted back to protocal 1 and Power SDR. I do not know enough about the 8000DLE circuitry/Thetis/Protocal 2 interaction to be playing. Want to be using the radio, which seems more stable now and without the random high SWR. FWIW also had some PA Overdrive (don't remember the exact displayed error nomenclature) errors as well. These were at a low power setting.
John
administrator
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:20 am

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby administrator » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi John,

Thanks for the update, can you please share the modified sketch file please, we can incorporate this change to the release,

my email is abhiarunoday@gmail.com

73,
Abhi
User avatar
KA1GXR
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby KA1GXR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:43 pm

John wrote:Tom
I am running protcol 2 and Thetis.
The sketch upload seemed to complete with no errors. Does your 8000DLE show version 1.06 on the display or 1.06B after the firmware upload? If yours shows 1.06B then my upload was not successful (Although the SSB SWR error issue was addressed after the firmware was uploaded).
?
Thanks
John

Have 50.4 V here. New 1.06 will show no b. Have 1.6 Firmware protocol 1 .
SWR issue fixed so far

Tom
KA1GXR
User avatar
N7CVZ
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:33 pm
Location: Corbett, Oregon USA

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby N7CVZ » Fri May 19, 2017 4:56 pm

W2PA wrote:I just applied this patch and it went without a hitch. But here are some tips that might help you if you find the instructions in the draft manual just a bit confusing, which you might if you're less familiar with this stuff. You might want to mark up your manual with these additional tips.

1) On page 73 of the draft document, in the section labeled "Open Sketch with Arduino IDE": This is an example of how to load a "sketch" (a program in the Arduino world). You don't need to actually perform these steps yet. You'll follow them later, on page 75, using the new file you downloaded in this forum thread that Abhi pointed us to, instead of the one named here on page 73.

2) On page 74 of the draft, in the section labeled "Add LCD display library:" The four bullet points aren't all things you do, they first describe what you're doing, then name the menu choices you make to do that function. They're better understood when written like this:

- Setup board to compile, by choosing this sequence from the Tools menu:
Tools → Board → Arduino Nano
- Verify the sketch will compile by choosing this sequence from the Sketch menu:
Sketch → Verify/Compile

3) On page 75 of the draft, in the section labeled "Start Arduino IDE", the first step says "Start the Arduino IDE and load the sketch (see above)." By this it means to start the IDE as described on page 73, then follow the procedure to load the sketch, as described on page 73, except use the file you newly downloaded, i.e. the one labeled CONTROL_BOARD_v1.06b - NOT the one named on page 73, which is SSPA_V08_1.01. Do complete the part about adding the library.

4) If you still need help, just ask here.


I keep getting an error when verify/comile?
User avatar
W2PA
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby W2PA » Fri May 19, 2017 9:20 pm

What kind of error are you getting? Are you sure you downloaded the correct file?

The new manual may have different wording. I'll have to take a look and perhaps modify my own instructions.
73,
Chris, W2PA
N2LYM
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:14 pm
Location: Lake Hopatcong NJ

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby N2LYM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:23 pm

I am getting errors when compiling with Arduino IDE ver 1.8.2

I can't attach a file so I posted a clip:

C:\Downloads\ANON\8000DLE\Firmware\CONTROL_BOARD_v1.08\CONTROL_BOARD_v1.08 - Copy.ino:54:9: error: redefinition of 'uint8_t nRows'

uint8_t nRows = 4; //number of rows on LCD

^

C:\Downloads\ANON\8000DLE\Firmware\CONTROL_BOARD_v1.08\CONTROL_BOARD_v1.08.ino:54:9: note: 'uint8_t nRows' previously defined here

uint8_t nRows = 4; //number of rows on LCD


Thanks,

Mike
WB8LBZ
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 3:59 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby WB8LBZ » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:38 pm

I got an error too. Kinda cryptic as I am new to the Arduino world. Lots of beeping when I plug in the USB cable. I downloaded 1.8.3 for Windows. I changed the board to Aduino Nano. I loaded the LCDtest.pde and clocked on the check icon (Verify). I get ERROR compiling for board Adruino Nano.

Any tips - pointers?

73,
Larry, WB8LBZ
8000DLE - SN:46
El Paso, TX
good in QRZ
WB8LBZ
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat May 13, 2017 3:59 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby WB8LBZ » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I was able to find what I was doing wrong when doing the update. I got the hint/tip from the Yahoo user group. The arduino program is now version 1.8.3 and once in it I went to the Tools menu and changed the Board to Arduino Nano. Then I went to the File menu and opened the first file CONTROL_BOARD_V1.08.ino . Then I went to the Sketch menu and went down to the Include Library and selected the LiquidCrystal440.zip file. Click on the check icon (verify) and it should go through the verification process, when that is finished then you connect the USB cable and upload to the radio display. If you are a member of the Yahoo user group the advice was given there. I'm going from memory and I'm an older dude so your mileage may vary.

73,
Larry, WB8LBZ
8000DLE - SN:46
El Paso, TX
good in QRZ
User avatar
GW4DVB
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:32 pm
Location: Llanharan - Wales UK
Contact:

Re: ANAN-8000DLE SWR Protection

Postby GW4DVB » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

Just a thought

But as a newcomer to the 800DLE why are the Firmware upgrades so complicated?

Admittedly once I got the rig apart it was relatively easy (apart from the erroneous scripting in the manual)

Couldn't the 8000DLE have been designed to take all updates via the LAN or other dedicated port?

As for getting the case top off and on - you need a degree in Mechano !! :)

Return to “Orion Mk II (7000DLE, 8000DLE)”