Remote (WAN) Operation

m0cke

Remote (WAN) Operation

Postby m0cke » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:03 pm

Hi All

Is there any way to operate the Aana7000DLE MK2 over WAN?

I have a local PC with the radio and I could use remote desktop software but they all seem to have really high latency.

Is there any remote connection software that's very low latency?

Or what other ways are there of using the station remotely?

TIA

Jim
w-u-2-o

Re: Remote (WAN) Operation

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:00 pm

I used to do this quite often. And you are correct, remote desktop software is a method to do this and generally suffers from high latency.

I chose to use the remote desktop method. I found that the Microsoft supplied Remote Desktop (RDP) had the lowest latency. I connected directly into my home LAN via a high performance VPN router (hardware VPN, not software VPN) for maximum performance and security. I also lowered the spectral display update rate to 10Hz and kept the Thetis window as small as possible. I used RDP to carry the audio as well. I was able to get total latency down to around 1 second with this method, which isn't too bad and is very comparable with the Flex remote software. For PTT I just used the spacebar, the MOX button, or VOX.

Note that the above method will require between 1 and 2 Mbit/s of network bandwidth. This is sufficiently low so that your average hotel WiFi will be OK. Also, running RDP server requires a "pro" or "enterprise" version of Windows OS.

Another method which does work but that does not give you full control over the radio is to use the RCForb client and server app's. I've done this as well and it works quite well. I've even worked remotely using their Android client.

The two methods are not mutually exclusive. You can run both at the same time and pick and choose how you want to connect. Or you can make a hybrid setup whereby basic rig control, audio and PTT go by way of RCForb and remote desktop lets you see the spectral display and operate any controls not supported by RCForb.

Again, either way you go, I recommend making the connection over a private, hardware VPN for security. When I first started dabbling with RDP and RCForb and opened ports in my router the router logs were showing thousands of intrusion attempts per hour on those ports! :cry:
w9ac

Re: Remote (WAN) Operation

Postby w9ac » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:19 pm

Although far from ideal, consider a pair of RemoteRig RRC-1258-II devices for audio and CW. Then for rig control, use any remote desktop variant. For digital modes, control software (e.g. WSJT-X) from the remote site PC with attached audio sound interface.

RemoteRig units operate IP over Ethernet -- no PC involved in the audio stream. The current firmware allows the user to select one of 13 audio CODECs. These vary between digitally-compressed low bit rate with low-latency to uncompressed, 16-bit linear CD quality in stereo for SPLIT operation. Changes can be made on-the-fly to adjust for mode operating preferences.

I'm not sure of new RRC product availability from a U.S. distributor. If considering this option, it may require the purchase of used RRC units. They're typically grabbed very quickly when posted for sale.

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Remote Operation Over The Internet”