Internet Remote using RCFORB and VSPE

WA3GIN-Dave

Internet Remote using RCFORB and VSPE

Postby WA3GIN-Dave » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:01 pm

Hi,

I've been tinkering with RCForb and VSPE but I don't speak the language so haven't made any progress.
The WAN connection here is provided by an AT&T cell modem; on a good day download rate is about 95 Mbps with latency of low 30ms. I wasn't planning on running Thetis on a PC at the remote site in SNJ. The QTH network here is not typical:

- ANAN7000 (in the quonset hut down the road) connected to unmanaged 1G Ethernet switch to fiber converter (running a pair of multimode AT&T fibers from Q-Hut to house)
- Fiber run abt 1000ft to converter at house and back to 1G Ethernet
- 1G Ethernet to 1G multi-port unmanaged switch NetGear GS208 ; LAN connection to PC running Thetis in the home office PC
- 1G unmanaged switch to NetGear NightHawk cell modem
- AT&T cell tower about 3 miles line of site 4G LTE (no 5G on the tower yet)

My work around today is using SPLASHTOP for Business screen scraper to grab the Thetis dashboard from the PC in home office. My test was using iPhone AT&T 1st Net HotSpot with wireless for Mac Pro Book running SPLASHTOP and SKYPE. Throughput on iPhone was not acceptable. Audio was watery. I will test again when I'm at a remote site in SNJ ; SNJ has both 5G wireless and Fios.

Wondering if there is a write-up (with step by step directions to get RCForb and VSPE working) for dummies like me who were licensed back in the early 60s. I have no objection to adding hardware if necessary. Wondering when AL is going to come up with a built-in server???

dave
wa3gin
w-u-2-o

Re: Internet Remote using RCFORB and VSPE

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:15 am

Dave,

I was hoping someone had a RCForb/Thetis cookbook for you, but it appears nobody does, and nor do I.

Obviously your cellular connection is the weak link in the chain, with WiFi being the second weakest link the chain.

If you want access from your iPhone RCForb is probably your best bet, but you will not have any sort of spectral display.

Interfacing the RCForb server, which needs to run on the same PC as Thetis, is really no different than interfacing any other digi mode software. Do you/have you run any digi mode stuff? WSJT-X? Fldigi? Anything? Or are you truly starting from scratch?

Scott
WA3GIN-Dave

Postby WA3GIN-Dave » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:54 pm

AH, Sadly, truly starting from scratch. I have the spectral display covered nicely using SPLASHTOP remote access to the PC. I'm mostly operating as NCO for nets or rag chewing, so latency is not an issue. I"ve loaded RCForb and it runs, I've taken a few steps to name the ports but that is about it. Doesn't seem to be any response from either CAT in the ANAN or RCForb as to whether they are talking to each other. This is where things stand for the moment.

Thanks,
dave
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Post screenshots of your Thetis and RCForb CAT setup screens, and of your VSPE settings.
w4bf

Postby w4bf » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:23 pm

I have RC Forb on my Android phone and an ANAN 7000 working with Power SDR OpenHPSDR v 3.4.9. The remotehams.com RC server program is on same PC as running the ANAN. This server app is set up to
control a FLEX with PowerSDR.

Use virtual audio in and out on VAC1 so the RC Forb has audio ports. A virtual COM port is hooked up on the CAT port of the ANAN.

Works beautifully with just one issue. When transmitting with the remote, whenever it keys, it also turns on the MON so you hear xmit audio in local shack speaker.

My audio system has a USB mike that is always live on same virtual audio port on tx input as the RC Forb server uses. Naturally, this causes great feedback unless I mute the mike via another SW switch I've kluged up.

Anyone experience this and fixed it? Apparently the TX key commands for the Flex that the remotehams.com server app is sending out are interpreted differently by Power SDR Open HPSDR.

Also tried this on latest version of Thetis and same result.

For now, if I'm leaving the shack and might use the remote, I just mute the mike. Other than this one glitch, it works great and is very stable.

I can put all this in a document with screenshots, etc if anyone interested.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:38 am

This did not used to be a problem back when I dabbled with RCFORB. I updated RCFORB client and server to the latest versions and it is a bug in the supplied RCFORB Flex PowerSDR radio driver. Using the CAT PTT method on the server, and monitoring the serial link to PowerSDR, I can clearly see the ZZMO1 and ZZMO0 CAT commands going each time TX is started and stopped.

In order to fix this problem you will have to appeal to the folks that write RCFORB to change its behavior.

In the meantime, there is a work-around. Use the COM port PTT method instead of CAT. Set up another virtual serial port pair, say 21 and 22. Assign 21 as the PTT port in RCFORB server. In PowerSDR go to Setup > CAT and assign 22 as the PTT control port. Choose matching signaling for both (I like to use RTS for no real reason). Enable the port in PowerSDR. Save your config. in RCFORB server. That worked fine for me.

However, at the end of the day, there should not be an open mic left in the shack when there is nobody there. There's too much potential for extra noise to get onto your transmission. It ought to be just flat out unplugged when you leave.
w4bf

Postby w4bf » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:15 am

Yes, this works wonderfully now! All the other RC Forb functions seem to do something on the ANAN, so if they fixed that MOX/MON key, the server could have a dedicated drop down menu for setup for ANAN. I'll sent them a bug report.

Return to “Remote Operation Over The Internet”