Will WIFI Cause Problems

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
catdad23

Will WIFI Cause Problems

Postby catdad23 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:30 pm

Hi folks,

I'm just starting to get my 7000 DLE MKII set up. I have read the web page about connecting the radio via ethernet. My new fiber modem/router was installed near where the radio is going. I can use the "Option 1" and connect the radio to the router. But, my computer is using WIFI. Will that cause a problem with timing, etc.?

I could connect the radio directly to the NIC on my motherboard, but it sounds like that type of connection requires you to have a separate NIC card (but I don't understand why).

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks.
Trucker

Re: Will WIFI Cause Problems

Postby Trucker » Tue Feb 27, 2024 7:38 pm

If there is nothing connected to the network connection on your computer's motherboard you can connect directly to it with your 7000DLE MKII. The only time you would need to add a network card is if the current network connection is in use.
Wifi connection between the router and the wired connection to your router ( if you connect your radio to the router) will have problems when trying to run Thetis on your laptop or pc with Wifi. Thetis needs plenty of bandwidth ( network wise) to work well.
James
WD5GWY
catdad23

Re: Will WIFI Cause Problems

Postby catdad23 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:50 pm

Trucker wrote:If there is nothing connected to the network connection on your computer's motherboard you can connect directly to it with your 7000DLE MKII. The only time you would need to add a network card is if the current network connection is in use.
Wifi connection between the router and the wired connection to your router ( if you connect your radio to the router) will have problems when trying to run Thetis on your laptop or pc with Wifi. Thetis needs plenty of bandwidth ( network wise) to work well.
James
WD5GWY

Thank you. That confirms what I was thinking on both counts.

Mike
AA7MW

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”