Lost connection on re boot

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
Tony EI7BMB

Lost connection on re boot

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:15 pm

So last night I inadvertently shut down the PC before closing Thetis. When I rebooted this morning I got the dreaded "Error starting SDR hardware". I had a good read again through Robs excellent tutorial. I can connect using HPSDR bootloader and I've successfully reloaded the firmware as a test and reset the IP address to previous 192.168.6.2 . HPSDR programmer V2 no pcap, does not discover the board.

My dedicated ethernet card from the PC is set to 192.168.6.1 with a manual network metric higher than the other ethernet card. Any ideas what other items that I may have missed or any diagnostic checks I can make to try narrow down the issue ?
w-u-2-o

Re: Lost connection on re boot

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:32 pm

Low metric wins. Think golf score. Set the metric on the NIC that goes to the ANAN lower than the metric for the other NIC.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:04 pm

Thanks Scott, changed the Anan NIC metric to 1 and other ethernet to 2 . No change unfortunately, still getting the error message. I've now reinstalled Thetis too and no change.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Time to start looking at the basics. Link lights of the correct color showing a good GigE link. Can you ping it? Etc.

For instance: a bad cable can fool you. Bootloader runs in 100BASE-T mode. That requires only 4 wires on the Ethernet cable. If you are running Thetis and P2 that forces the link to GigE and that requires all 8 wires to be good. I've actually spoken to someone that had a bad cable like this and it drove him crazy for a couple of hours.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:32 pm

You nailed it Scott. The bad shutdown was a red herring. Great info on bootloader still working when connections not right . Really not sure what happened but all I did to correct was pull out the cable on the NIC end and re insert. I'll replace that cable to to rule it out in future. Thanks so much Scott
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:40 pm

For info : Even though the radio is working fine HPSDR Programmer does not work in any of its forms. HPSDR Bootloader works fine as always.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:43 pm

I've never been a fan of the V2 (P2 compatible) version of HPSDR Programmer. It has always been semi-reliable for me.

I recently went through my own hair-tearing few days. Upgrading from a KPA500 to a KPA1500, I started to experience interruptions in Ethernet service to only a single port on my main computer during transmissions on 80 and, worse, 160M. After looking at literally everything else, it seemed that it was just a bad port. I was thrown off because that port is part of a 2 port PCIE NIC card and the other port worked fine. It seemed strange that it could only be one port. Other red herrings included the increased power, and that I had also added a couple of CAT5 Ethernet cables from the radio rack when I installed the KPA1500. But, ultimately, I replaced the card with another and now everything is wonderful. I have no idea why that one port was so susceptible to RF and not the other, but for $40 (the price of the new card) and free, overnight Amazon Prime delivery, I don't really care :D

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”