Direct Network To 10E

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
WA3O

Direct Network To 10E

Postby WA3O » Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:58 am

Hello group,

I just purchased a used 10E and I have it working well with PowerSDRMRX and downgraded to protocol 1 with a network connection wired directly to my router. I removed the network cable from the router and plugged in directly to the computer and rebooted both the radio and the computer and waited a few minutes for APIPA to assign an IP ( i don't think this ever happened) and the network is 169.X.X.X I then opened up PowerSDR and it never finds the iP even after a power button press.

I am aware of the W1AEX site to connect by statically assigning the IP however for other reasons I rather not do that. My question is...Do I have to use the programming tool to delete the ip address that my router assigned it (192.168.1.55) to get it to accept a direct connection IP? or is there some other issue that dictates that I have to do a static ip?

Thank you.

Mike WA3O
w-u-2-o

Re: Direct Network To 10E

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:15 pm

Mike,

Assuming your 10E was set up for DHCP (the somewhat unintuitive setting of 0.0.0.0 as the initial address using Bootloader or HPSDR Programmer), then address assigned by the router via DHCP is temporary and will be gone every time you power cycle the 10E. So nothing to worry about there.

APIPA addressing is unreliable. I know you don't want to hear this, but for a direct connection static IPs are the way to go.

Why not just leave it on the LAN and let it obtain DHCP addressing with the rest of your devices?

Scott
WA3O

Postby WA3O » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:32 pm

Scott,

Thank you for the quick response.

I bought the 10E used. I assume that the guy before me just hooked it to his network and possibly it was the same type network I have (192.168.1.1).

I read in another post viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3723 Where FM5GB states..." Try to assign a correct IP address in bootloader. Sometimes an old IP address is kept in the FPGA memory and that makes it impossible
for Thetis to find the radio while bootloader is still seeing it." and I was thinking that my 192.168.X.X was somehow "stuck"?

The reason I wanted to hook it to the computer directly is of a couple of reasons. I don't like Window 10 updates...and I have had the updates kill my computer more than a couple of times and I was going to keep that computer off of any network besides the ANAN. I also wanted to run it on a laptop in a few different locations with different networks (one is a 192.168.1.1 and the other is 192.168.0.1).

The 10E was just bought because I have a 7000DLE MKII on order and it will take a few months to get So, I am hashing out all this type stuff out now so I have a jump on things to come .

Thanks for the information

73's
Mike WA3O
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:44 pm

Mike,

It sounds like you don't know how the IP is configured in the 10E. Therefore, and since it's running protocol 1, I'd suggest you use HPSDR Programmer to explicitly set the IP to 0.0.0.0. This should explicitly configure it for DHCP. Then test it attached to your router. Then try it again with APIPA.

Scott

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”