TCI Protocol with Apache

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
N4QNT

TCI Protocol with Apache

Postby N4QNT » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:11 pm

Maybe a question for Richie, wonder if at some point via Firmware or Software can transceiver control interface (TCI) be implemented in the Anan platform?? I know Expert MB1 and Sun users Bragg a lot about it.
kc2rgw

Re: TCI Protocol with Apache

Postby kc2rgw » Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:52 pm

TCI would be pretty slick, more and more software is supporting it and amp manufacturers are adding support as well now.

It would be a slog to code that all out though :-).
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm

What amp manufacturer is adding TCI?

Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
EA1DAV

Postby EA1DAV » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:44 pm

https://rf-kit.de

They are working on it to add TCI.

w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:05 pm

What software supports TCI, not including Sun and Expert's own client software? It seems like TCI is very Sun and Expert specific, and driven hard by Sun in particular to create a Sun-centric standard.

Other than that it avoids virtual serial port software, what advantages does it have? I literally don't need TCI for any software I use with Thetis, and that includes Winmail, WSJT-X, Fldigi, N1MM, DDUtil, the DXLabs suite, JS8Call and probably a few I'm forgetting about. Nor do I need it to run my Elecraft amplifier.

It would literally be easier if the entire industry just agreed on an IP socket wrapper for standard CAT commands instead of going to an entirely new protocol that consists of a lot of Sun and Expert specific and unique commands (see the TCI protocol documentation).
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:31 pm

It is a nice idea granted. Remove the need for VAC, virtual comports etc. Everything up/down a winsockets connection, IQ, trx control etc.

I have coded a client for it a couple of years ago on an ESP8266 to give me vfo readout etc from the sun on a small lcd display. Coding up the server side to mimic their protocol would be possible I am sure..... for..... someone :lol:

Richie.
Tony EI7BMB

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:46 pm

I would not mind paying for TCI feature if there was a coder willing to do it . Would a fund it campaign be appropriate ?

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”