Port forwarding?

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
w8du

Port forwarding?

Postby w8du » Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:56 pm

Can someone tell me what TCP/UDP ports I would have to forward in my router in order to access my 7000DLEMk2 from outside my home LAN?

Tnx es 73 de Arnie W8DU
w-u-2-o

Re: Port forwarding?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:59 pm

Arnie,

Unless you have a WAN connection of at least 100MBit/s with near zero latency you can't connect to your 7000 from outside your home over the internet. It's just not fast and reliable enough.

You may be thinking about how you are paying Verizon or whoever for 100 or 300 Mbit/s, and speed checks may show that rate, but that is an average rate. Sometimes data is flowing very fast, other times it is not flowing at all. Any time it stops is a disaster for the way our SDRs work. They rely on UDP, which is a lossy protocol, and they use small buffers to lower latency into the 10's of millisecond range. Everything quickly falls apart. That is the downside of a so-called "thick client" SDR, where raw, high speed IF data must move between the client software (Thetis or PowerSDR) and the hardware.

If you are determined to try this anyway, it would be much more secure if you setup your own VPN server at your home so that you can make a secure remote connection. This also eliminates any need to forward a whole bunch of TCP and UDP ports.

I remote operate my station using RDP over a VPN connection provided by my VPN-capable router. Setup is not trivial, the user experience is not as nice as it is with a Flex, but it does work.

Scott

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”