Intel Adapter User Guide for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
w-u-2-o

Intel Adapter User Guide for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 pm

There's a lot of mystical, random and just generally goofy stuff posted on the internet about what settings to change on your Ethernet hardware to get better performance, mostly from gamers. Well, here's the advice straight from the horse's mouth, Intel, for the great many of us who have Intel network hardware on our motherboards:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28410/Adapter-User-Guide-for-Intel-Ethernet-Adapters

More specifically, refer to Page 8.

However, even it is not 100% clear. For instance, even though my adapter is covered by this document, when I went to change some of the settings I found the naming of the settings was not exactly as shown in the document. At any rate, I made some educated guesses, for instance all the "offload" settings were disabled, and I increased buffer sizes by a factor of 4. I think it made a small difference in performance, but it's barely noticeable for me.

Your mileage may vary, have fun, and all that sort of thing :)

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (138.7 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
cLicari

Re: Intel Adapter User Guide for Intel® Ethernet Adapters

Postby cLicari » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:51 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:There's a lot of mystical, random and just generally goofy stuff posted on the internet about what settings to change on your Ethernet hardware to get better performance, mostly from gamers. Well, here's the advice straight from the horse's mouth, Intel, for the great many of us who have Intel network hardware on our motherboards:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28410/Adapter-User-Guide-for-Intel-Ethernet-Adapters

More specifically, refer to Page 8.

However, even it is not 100% clear. For instance, even though my adapter is covered by this document, when I went to change some of the settings I found the naming of the settings was not exactly as shown in the document. At any rate, I made some educated guesses, for instance all the "offload" settings were disabled, and I increased buffer sizes by a factor of 4. I think it made a small difference in performance, but it's barely noticeable for me.

Your mileage may vary, have fun, and all that sort of thing :)

Capture.JPG

Scott...
Even after finding my specific Ethernet card the Intel download center, finding the correct version for my OS (the most popular of all, win 10) was not exactly obvious. Reading the release notes was even more daunting, with warnings about what would be removed disclaimers. I'm not a computer science major but I've built enough computers from scratch (including my current PC for the Anan) and installed enough software to be comfortable updating a driver. Their website was joke and as clear as mud. Good luck to uninformed PC users updating their Ethernet drivers.
Carl
NX5T
Carl Licari
NX5T
Anan 8000DLE, FW v2.0 2b, Thetis 2.8.11, 21k9
Windows 10, dedicated network subnet, Intel i7 8700K, 32GB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, Samsung 40" 4K display

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”