Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
KW4CQ_Bob

Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Postby KW4CQ_Bob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Greetings all. I am just now setting up my new 7000DLE i7 radio. I appears to work fine on all band/modes but I keep getting a windows popup window now and then saying it can't connect to the internet. Well sure, that's because I don't have a CAT 6 LAN cable connected to the radio and my router or to the network switch I use here. I am just using the LAN to LAN patch cable on the back of the that came with the radio. In my ignorance I don't understand why I need to connect to the Internet if my i7 is running fine by itself (expect for the popup reminders I mentioned). If I do need to use an Internet connection, and since the LAN/LAN patch cable is in place, do I need to remove the LAN patch cable and where do I plug in the LAN cable on the back of my radio to my switch? I couldn't figure out an answer to that from the User Guide.
Thanks and 73 from Bob, KW4CQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Bob,

1. You don't need to connect the PC inside the radio to the internet if you don't want to. I don't know how to stop the annoying pop-up's, that's something both you and I would need to do a Google search on, so I'll let you do it ;)

2. However, if you don't connect the PC inside the radio to the internet, then you will not get any updates to Windows. Some people may find this a plus, others a minus. It's a very complex topic. I prefer to keep my Windows fully up to date, but that's just me.

3. To connect the PC inside of the radio to the internet and the radio at the same time, you simply use two Ethernet cables, one from the RF part of the radio, the other from the PC, and connect both to a Gigabit Ethernet switch. Then connect an Ethernet cable to the switch from your router.

4. If you do what is described in (3) above, you may or may not have to change some network settings on both the PC and the RF sides of the radio. I don't know for certain because I do not know what those settings are "out of the box".

Scott
KW4CQ_Bob

Postby KW4CQ_Bob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Thank you Scott. Sounds logical. I will give that a try.
73 Bob
n2pk

Postby n2pk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:17 am

Scott,

Would another option be to keep the short jumper between the two LAN ports and
connect an antenna to the wifi SMA connector for internet access?

Paul N2PK
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:59 am

Paul,

That's a very reasonable option. However, you may need to make some adjustments as described in step 5 at this link:

http://www.w1aex.com/anan/anan.html#network

Scott
n2pk

Postby n2pk » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:36 am

Thanks, Scott.

Paul N2PK
n2pk

Postby n2pk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:35 am

Hi Scott,

While the connections I suggested might be effective for the NUC and SDR in the 7000DLE, I'm wondering
now if the SDR would be detectable and operable by a different instance of PowerSDR on a wifi connected
tablet or laptop instead of the NUC's PowerSDR?

What I have in mind here is living room band monitoring.

Your thoughts?

73, Paul N2PK
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Paul,

Consider doing a little studying up on basic computer networking.

If you've got the internal PC and radio hardware sections wired directly together, and the internal PC connected to the rest of your home WAN and internet via Wi-Fi, that does not provide any connectivity between your WAN and the radio hardware.

You can set up something called a "bridge" between the Wi-Fi and wired Ethernet ports on the internal PC to achieve connectivity (Google "bridge WiFi with Ethernet in Windows 10"). I've never done it myself.

Better yet, hardwire the internal PC and the radio hardware ports to your router, or to a switch and attach the switch to your router.

Either way, now any machine on your home network will have access to the radio hardware.

Only one client at a time can access the radio hardware.

And now for the big problem: the bandwidth and latency requirements of a "thick client" SDR radio architecture like this one typically do not work well over Wi-Fi. Connections will drop or fail frequently. You need a VERY good Wi-Fi connection, the Wi-Fi access point needs to be pretty much dedicated to just the one connection, and you may need to tweak PC settings to a very high degree to prevent any other software from using Wi-Fi on that PC while using the radio. People have done it, but it isn't easy.

If all you want to do is monitor, you might start off with a different method that requires no bridging or mucking about with fancy Wi-Fi settings. Simply make a remote connection to your internal PC using any one of a number of app's, including Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), VNC, Teamviewer, and many others.

I've even been successful streaming my radio to a Chromecast on my living room TV, too 8-)

Scott
n2pk

Postby n2pk » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:38 pm

Many thanks for all, Scott.

As a testcase, I installed Teamviewer on both my (living room) Surface Pro and my desktop PC
which currently runs the Red Pitaya via PowerSDR.

Can see the desktop PC's PowerSDR just fine on the Surface Pro and can also control it remotely.

So far tho, I have not figured out how to get the PowerSDR RX audio audible on the Surface Pro.

The PSDR VAC is enabled and audio is heard on the desktop PC.

I do have various audio settings enabled on Teamviewer running on the Surface Pro.

Still looking/searching...

73, Paul N2PK
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 pm

Audio is the tricky part.

I'm not familiar enough with Teamviewer to provide guidance in that area.

I use RDP. I had to pass the VAC audio through Voicemeeter to the RDP "Remote Audio" device to get audio to work. I had to do the same thing when casting with Chromecast.
n2pk

Postby n2pk » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:05 am

Scott wrote:

>Audio is the tricky part.

Indeed!

After many settings change, finally got sound working from the remote PC in Teamviewer
on the Surface Pro after re-booting both PC's.

It's not great but good enough for living room band monitoring til I find better.

Thanks, Scott.

73, Paul N2PK

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”