Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
KW4CQ_Bob

Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Postby KW4CQ_Bob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:38 pm

Greetings all. I am just now setting up my new 7000DLE i7 radio. I appears to work fine on all band/modes but I keep getting a windows popup window now and then saying it can't connect to the internet. Well sure, that's because I don't have a CAT 6 LAN cable connected to the radio and my router or to the network switch I use here. I am just using the LAN to LAN patch cable on the back of the that came with the radio. In my ignorance I don't understand why I need to connect to the Internet if my i7 is running fine by itself (expect for the popup reminders I mentioned). If I do need to use an Internet connection, and since the LAN/LAN patch cable is in place, do I need to remove the LAN patch cable and where do I plug in the LAN cable on the back of my radio to my switch? I couldn't figure out an answer to that from the User Guide.
Thanks and 73 from Bob, KW4CQ
w-u-2-o

Re: Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:12 pm

Bob,

1. You don't need to connect the PC inside the radio to the internet if you don't want to. I don't know how to stop the annoying pop-up's, that's something both you and I would need to do a Google search on, so I'll let you do it ;)

2. However, if you don't connect the PC inside the radio to the internet, then you will not get any updates to Windows. Some people may find this a plus, others a minus. It's a very complex topic. I prefer to keep my Windows fully up to date, but that's just me.

3. To connect the PC inside of the radio to the internet and the radio at the same time, you simply use two Ethernet cables, one from the RF part of the radio, the other from the PC, and connect both to a Gigabit Ethernet switch. Then connect an Ethernet cable to the switch from your router.

4. If you do what is described in (3) above, you may or may not have to change some network settings on both the PC and the RF sides of the radio. I don't know for certain because I do not know what those settings are "out of the box".

Scott
KW4CQ_Bob

Re: Need help with Internet LAN connection for my i5/i7 7000DLE MKII

Postby KW4CQ_Bob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:46 pm

Thank you Scott. Sounds logical. I will give that a try.
73 Bob

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”