New computer doesn't see 8000

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
AA3DA

New computer doesn't see 8000

Postby AA3DA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:16 pm

My old laptop running HPSDR crashed. I got a new i7 laptop now running Win 10, installed the latest HPSDR and plugged it directly into my 8000DLE. Now on startup (power) I get message asking if the radio is on and connected. It can't seem to see the radio. The setup box does not show a URL or mac address. I tried keying the radio URL that worked with the old computer to no avail. I tried a new Ethernet cable to no avail.
Any ideas?
w-u-2-o

Re: New computer doesn't see 8000

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:30 pm

See the "sticky" thread at the top of this very sub-forum where you posted.

Here's the link for your convenience:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2464
AA3DA

Postby AA3DA » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:38 pm

I went there the first time you referred me. Nothing there indicated anything that I could recognize as steps to take to find the radio ip or whatever else might tell me if there is a radio or software problem.
David
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:04 pm

You are kidding, right? Rob did a fantastic job of putting that page together in great detail.

Proceed as follows:

I'm going to assume that your laptop is connected via Wi-Fi to your router. If it is not, then make it be connected that way.

Follow the procedure under "Direct Connection to a Second Ethernet Port on Your PC".

Understand that if your laptop is connected via Wi-Fi to your router, then the wired port on the laptop is your "second connection".

That should solve your problem of being able to find your radio with it wired directly to the LAN port on the laptop.
AA3DA

Postby AA3DA » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:42 am

Thanks for the key to understanding. As an EXTRA I know about 2nd if stages but the second connection being the only Ethernet port because I have wifi active was a true revelation. I shall poke around in the new world of Win 10 to try to make the second port active. Learning is a good thing and fun even when you are old and senile. I was afraid I was going to have to sell the 8000 and go back to a radio with knobs and buttons. I still have my old Swan 350 in the meantime. I will confirm getting the 8000 back on line or call for help again on this board.
Thank you for your patience, Scott.
David
AA3DA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:21 pm

Yes, in this modern age of software defined radios we all need to develop our computer knowledge. Even if you buy a Flex with a front panel it is still a PC inside which will ultimately require software updates.

Your wired Ethernet port is already active. It is merely a matter of configuring the port, and the radio, properly. Follow Rob's procedure.

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”