Anan 8000 and WiFi

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
Burl, AJ9Q

Anan 8000 and WiFi

Postby Burl, AJ9Q » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 pm

I have been investigating a how to connect wirelessly to my Anan 8000 using my Microsoft Surface Pro tablet with Windows 10. I have used HPSDR Programmer to discover the IP address and set a static address in the PowerSDR OpenHDSDR to match. I keep getting an error message "Error starting HPSDR hardware, is it connected and powered". I have spent 2 days searching forums and websites and beginning to think nobody has successfully accomplished this task. Unfortunately, my Surface Pro does not have an ethernet port and I am not a network engineer.

All constructive ideas are welcome.... Burl, AJ9Q
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 8000 and WiFi

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:42 pm

You have two problems.

The first problem is that you simply don't have it set up correctly. See this thread to get that part fixed:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2464

Once you fix that problem and are actually able to run the radio, you are going to find that you have a second, much more difficult, problem, which is that Wi-Fi is not capable of providing a low enough latency, steady enough connection, to run the radio successfully. It will run in fits and starts, with data drop-outs and all manner of ill behavior.

There was, at one time, a very lengthy discussion by someone on the Yahoo group about an epic battle to make this work. He had to use a top quality 802.11ac wireless access point. He also had to strip down his operating system to the absolute minimum number of processes and use the minimum sample rate on the radio (48KHz). Even then it wasn't 100% reliable.

Scott
Burl, AJ9Q

Postby Burl, AJ9Q » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks Scott for the info.

I have my system running just fine on my desktop Win 7 for the last 8 months or so. I was hoping the WiFi might be a a possibility for causal listening. I guess another possibility might be Team Viewer and Skype.
Do you know of any USB3 to Ethernet converters for Cat 6 cables?

Thanks again for all your work..... Burl, AJ9Q
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 pm

Burl, AJ9Q wrote:I have my system running just fine on my desktop Win 7 for the last 8 months or so. I was hoping the WiFi might be a a possibility for causal listening. I guess another possibility might be Team Viewer and Skype.
I use Microsoft Remote Desktop.
Do you know of any USB3 to Ethernet converters for Cat 6 cables?
A quick search of Amazon turns up an endless list.

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”