New Router Can't Find ANAN

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
WA3GIN-Dave

New Router Can't Find ANAN

Postby WA3GIN-Dave » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:32 am

Today the old router was replaced with a new router. All 24 devices found the new router w/o issue except the ANAN. When I start Thetis I receive this unhelpful error message:

Error starting SDR hardware, is it connected and powered?

I'm sure its a simple item. I've read and read till my eyes are bleeding and haven't found that simple item. Was not using Static IP.

Thanks,
dave
wa3gin
w-u-2-o

Re: New Router Can't Find ANAN

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Dec 11, 2021 2:22 pm

Dave,

I know the last thing you wrote was "not using static IP", but that's high on my list of culprits :D

Need more info:

- What model router?
- Is the topology router-->switch-->everything else including the ANAN and PC in question?
- What model switch?

I'd go into the router web UI, see if you can view all of the DHCP leases, and then see if you can reconcile every lease to a particular device, in order to determine if the ANAN is actually getting a DHCP assigned IP address.

If you do find the lease associated with the ANAN, then see if you can ping that address.

If you can't find the lease associated with the ANAN then it is almost certainly setup to use static addressing. In this case use Bootloader to set the IP to 0.0.0.0 which will instruct the ANAN to use DHCP.

Scott
WA3GIN-Dave

Postby WA3GIN-Dave » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:43 am

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the fast response.
TP-Link AX1800 Dual Band Wi-Fi 6 Router, Archer AX21...

The network is a bit convoluted:

- Cell Modem to AX1800
- AX1800 1st ethernet port home runned to switch (Netgear 5208 switch) that two ports used; one to Mac Laptop and the other to PC where Thetis runs
- AX1800 2nd port to ethernet to fiber converter to fiber (1100ft of multi-mode fiber) to ethernet converter w/four ethernet ports located in quonset hut equipment rack. 1st port connected to ANAN7000. Other ports used for a couple of servers and a wireless router)

This configuration has worked for a couple years. Swapped out the old TP-Link TL-MR3420 due to many 5G wireless devices running throughout the house. The beamforming antennas appear to do the trick for those devices that were hindered on 2.4G

The network layout seems straightforward and I'm stumped at the moment as to why the ANAN has decided to be so unwelcoming to the new router.

I reviewed the clients IPs and didn't find the ANAN. The ANAN claim it's IP is 192.168.1.200. I tried to talk to it with a direct connection between a PC in the hut - fail. Tried to ping that IP and doesn't appear to exist. Tomorrow I thought I might download the programming software in that PC in the hut and try to discover the ANAN's true IP. Flailing in the dark on this one... There was no MAC address in the ANAN's General / H/W Select tab. So, I think that ANAN IP was bogus.

I certainly will try bootloader...

Thanks,
dave
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:30 pm

The IPs you see in Thetis are misleading. They are invalid unless you are successful connected, which you are not.

Since you are not seeing a lease in the router, the simplest explanations are a coincidental hardware failure (bad cable, etc.) or that the hardware really was set to static IP and is now in conflict with another address.
WA3GIN-Dave

Postby WA3GIN-Dave » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:08 pm

Router wasn't the issue. Wrote a new IP to the ANAN... eventually, I connected a PC to the ANAN, used a bootloader to change the IP to an appropriate static IP for the new subnet. I had hoped to be able to do this remotely but I had no way to move the switch position for the bootloader or remove power from the unit. All is well. Thanks Scott. You always provide the motivation for me to dig further into the innards of this awesome SDR transceiver.

dave
wa3gin
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:24 pm

Never thought the new router was the issue ;)

On my fully remoted station I have enough automation to be able to cycle power on the ANAN hardware remotely, and I connectorized the bootloader switch so I can control that remotely as well. See my qrz page and follow the links to my website for more information. The other thing you need is to have a path from PC to ANAN that does not have any managed switches because the MAC address the bootloader uses is an illegal one and only dumb, unmanaged switches will route it. If you do have managed switches in the way you can get around that by using a Pi or something adjacent to the ANAN and use the Linux version of bootloader. VNC or SSH into the Pi and have at it.

Most people probably do not muck with their firmware often enough to both, but I went through a period where I was testing a lot of firmware and having all that automation helped me quite a bit.

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”