remote operation

Can't talk to your radio? This is the place to ask!
w4cm

remote operation

Postby w4cm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 pm

Just started having issue with my desktop when connecting to Anan7000DLE via wireless.
The audio is very broken and if I lower the sampling rate it gets a little better. Now set to 192K. Same PC works fine on all other wireless connections with web pages and audio. If I connect the PC to Anan direct no issues.
On my laptop I have no issues.
What should I look for ?
Thanks
w-u-2-o

Re: remote operation

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:37 pm

Trying to use PowerSDR or Thetis over Wi-Fi is just asking for problems, even at low sample rates. The system is simply not designed for it. It uses UDP not TCP/IP so the connection is not lossless. It does not use any error detection or correction. Buffering is minimal for low latency. Drop just a few packets and you are going to hear broken audio.

Some people have been successful at this. They kill off all other processes on the PC, use dedicated Wi-Fi links just for that one PC, keep the Wi-Fi distances very short, and of course use the fastest Wi-Fi access points and PC adapters you can buy. It's a labor of love to make it work, though.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Also don't forget, the OpenHPSDR protocol is full duplex and wi-fi is half duplex.
So you're fighting with one hand tied behind your back right from the jump.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:54 pm

Everything is fine on laptop and never an issue.

I would think a lot people are running their laptop remote in their house using the Anan with Thetis
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:14 am

If you really want/need this, then a) consider yourself very lucky you have a model to guide you that actually works and b) start making your desktop more like your laptop. Do they run the same version of Windows? Do they use equivalently fast Wi-Fi cards? Are they the same distance to the access point with the same speed and signal strength reported? Does the desktop OS got a lot more crap loaded on it like printer software or other things that want to chat over the Wi-Fi all the time? It's not going to be easy to sort this out.
w9ac

Postby w9ac » Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:22 pm

w4cm wrote:Everything is fine on laptop and never an issue. I would think a lot people are running their laptop remote in their house using the Anan with Thetis

I do, but use a tablet PC with either TeamViewer with audio enabled, or RealVNC with an IP audio add-on. Remote CW via paddles works very well too but requires a pair of synched-up Winkeyers and K1EL Remote Software. Local CW side-tone comes the client Winkeyer, modified with a DDS sinewave PIC. Side-tone audio is routed to the tablet PC.

It's sort of a thin-wire work-around solution to a thick-wire application. I wouldn't think of trying a direct Wi-Fi connection with Thetis.

Paul, W9AC

Return to “Network Connections & Network Hardware”