Problems With PS in Thetis (Attched Video)

LarryW

Problems With PS in Thetis (Attched Video)

Postby LarryW » Sun May 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Hello All,

Rather then try to explain the issue please watch the video in the link below.
This is a new (3 week old) 7000 with NO internal PC. Tried on two (2) PCs and still get the same results.
Both Ethernet cable are Cat7
Using P1 with PowerSDR--PS work great
Using P2 with thetis--PS does not work
https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cYh62ag4tx

FYI-- I have tried several verisions of p2 firmware and all have showed the same results. Sometimes after stopping the two tone the S meter will shoot clear over to the right side and stick or lock there. Only powering off the software will it reset itself. Also I have noticed most of the time during the two tone--the ATT is indicating 0db.

At this time we are NOT using any external samplers-----Using radio into dummy load.

Thank you
Larry
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
W1AEX

Re: Problems With PS in Thetis (Attched Video)

Postby W1AEX » Sun May 10, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi Larry,

I watched the video and thanks for displaying all the setup screens as well as verbally describing what is happening. I believe that since you are not using an external sampler, you need to make one correction on the transmit tab. Uncheck the Bypass on TX box. What is happening now is that PS is not getting feedback because no external coupler is there to sample the RF. Unchecking that box will direct Thetis to use the internal sampler in the 7000DLE for attaining the RF sample needed for correction. This is true for my 200D and I believe it holds true for the 7000DLE as well. I'm pretty sure that is why you are seeing wild excursions with the Auto-Attenuator.

Hope that solves the mystery and let us know how it turns out!

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Sun May 10, 2020 9:32 pm

Thanks Rob--

I tried it unchecked several times and still get the same results---- Hopefully we can get this figured out, will keep my fingers crossed :D

Thank You
Larry
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun May 10, 2020 10:17 pm

Rob is correct, and that is an important and necessary change (Bypass on TX should be off), but that is not the root problem.

I'm betting the real problem is that the version of P2 firmware you are running is not making timing on your specific serial number 7000. Go back to the Orion Mk2 P2 firmware topic and pick a different version to run. You may have to try several.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Mon May 11, 2020 1:28 am

OK it looks like we found one that works.
Pre 1 appears to be working
Pre 7 worked but every time I would key there would be a errors
All the others did not work.

Is it normal for everyone to be running different version of firmware? If this old version works ok for me at this time--when if ever, do I upgrade to something newer?
Thank You
Larry-N7ZDR
Attachments
Annotation 2020-05-10 190057.png
Annotation 2020-05-10 190057.png (33.01 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
P2_v2.0b
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Mon May 11, 2020 3:26 am

Larry,

At this time it is pretty much the way it is across the board with all the different ANAN hardware using the P2 platform. It's my understanding that the assortment of firmware versions you see out there for your 7000 are compiled with slightly different thermal compensation and timing settings to address the slight variations in all the FPGAs that are out there. What works optimally with one rig might not work optimally with another. I believe that most people with the 7000/8000 series are using either pre-1 or pre-2 with good success.

I have heard that this is largely due to the opensource commitment that the firmware developers use Quartus Lite, the somewhat limited free version of the firmware development software, rather than the expensive Pro or Standard versions that are used commercially.

The shotgun approach seems to be working for pretty much everyone out there but it's a lot of work for the firmware guys! Glad you are up and running well.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”