Using Pure Signal on ANAN 10 with a transverter

G3NPI

Using Pure Signal on ANAN 10 with a transverter

Postby G3NPI » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:53 pm

After several years of using an ANAN 10 and transverting to 70 Mhz with a 150 watt MOSFET PA, I decided to try and make Pure Signal work.
I am just using an ADE-2ASK ring mixer, feeding the LO port from the transverter osc/buffer chain, the IF port to the 28Mhz RX socket and the 70Mhz sample to the RF port. I was not very confident as the 70mhz RF in the shack was messing with the level readings of my instruments, however it appears to work!! Looking at RX2 display it shows an IMD improvement from -38dB to -58dB.
My query is; why does the black line just below the RX2 on the right, show PureSignal2 in Green, then a flashing red box showing FEEDBACK, then a yellow box saying Correcting. I guess it is telling me something......
Can somebody advise me?

TIA and 73

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Re: Using Pure Signal on ANAN 10 with a transverter

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm

See the "sticky" thread, Puresignal 2.0 Release Notes, here:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewforum.php?f=20

I'm absolutely amazed that the 70MHz feedback works at all :o

The colors you are seeing are saying that the feedback level is too low. However, if it broken and it works, then it isn't broken ;)

Scott
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:12 am

Hi Scott,

Thank you. After reading your notes and a bit more thinking... I realise that what I am seeing on the RX2 display is the 28 Mhz signal (although the display reads 70 Mhz) and this is reacting to PS correction. My circuit/mixer is doing nothing. Back to the drawing board. There does not seem to be much written on PS and transverters but I have noted I need to lift the earth from the RX path on TX.

HNY and 73

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:01 pm

Geoff,

Also take a look at this thread.

Scott
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi all,

I have been having another go at making PS work on the ANAN 10 with a transverter. My transverter has a mixer for TX and another for RX so I opted to use the RX path for feed back. From the notes on this forum it seems I could either feed the signal back into the short circuit or dis the internal jumper so that the RX path did not have an earth on it. I opted to remove the internal jumper, because the power available out of the xvtr would not high enough. This did not work because the crosstalk in the ANAN at 28 mHz is too high (is it worse because I disconnected the earth?). The next step was to increase the output of the transverter to try and overcome the crosstalk, I used 40 dBm of amplification using a couple of mmics. This gave a 3db reduction in the 3rd order IMD from the PA but the ADC OVERLOAD was flashing....

My conclusion is that unless someone knows how to reduce crosstalk on the ANAN 10, Pure Signal is just not going to work. Which after several days work is disappointing.

My ANAN 10 is still in its original case. I wonder if anybody who has built a system from a bare HERMES board and has overcome crosstalk.

Geoff G3NPI
G3ZQH

Postby G3ZQH » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:38 pm

Hi Geoff and others interested in transverters and Pure Signal

Has anyone made any progress with implementing PureSignal with a 70MHz or 144 MHz transverter using an ANAN rig? I am successfully using transverters with my 200D, but the quality of the SSB TX signals is so much worse than I am used to using PureSignal.

It would be great to be able to implement PS and find a usable route to feedback the VHF RF. There seems to be a lot more activity on VHF recently, so perhaps there is a demand for this? I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how to do this myself, but if anyone has done it, or even has some ideas of how to do it, I would be very interested.

73 Dave G3ZQH
dl4zbg

Postby dl4zbg » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:43 am

Hi Dave,

please take a look at this product:

https://shop.kuhne-electronic.de/kuhne/ ... b_content4

you might get some ideas by reading the documentation. Your receiver must be that well designed to cope with the TX power of 0 dBm or so.
Not an easy victory....

Volker

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”