Anan 8000, Power SDR vs the current user manual

Bill in Georgia

Anan 8000, Power SDR vs the current user manual

Postby Bill in Georgia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:34 pm

Just unpacked my 8000, looking at the back panel and reading the manual, the two don't jive...for the Pure Signal setup..

For Instance..
On the back panel lower Right ..two BNC connectors, labeled...HUFR and ADC2 in the manual they are labeled, XVTR TX output and RF 1 reserved
turn to the next page in the manual and they are labeled, PS feedback and PS Input.

Now moving to the two gold SM/SMA connectors with a jumper installed (upper left corner of the panel. one is labeled, PS Feedback, the other PS input. And if you look closely at the picture on page 19 of the manual they are labeled, PS feedback and PS input.

So according to the panel labeling we have two PS Feedback connectors and 2 PS input connectors.

I hope we can get the answer of what is what, so I can transfer the two cables from my 200D coupler and not get into trouble..

Thanks..
-Bill .. KC4PE
kc4pe@mindspring.com
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 8000, Power SDR vs the current user manual

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Bill,

Did they really change the silk screen labeling to put "HUFR" on the XVTR TX output connector (that is what that BNC is)? Crazy! But it is indeed the XVTR TX output.

RF1 was changed intentionally to ADC2, which is, IMHO, a big improvement. When the equivalent connector was marked RX2 on older radios it caused no end of confusion, as RX2 is a software construct that could be assigned to either ADC1 or ADC2. At any rate, that BNC is the input, via the second set of BPFs, to ADC2.

The SMAs provide access to the path from the internal PureSignal coupler, which is output on "PS Feedback", to ADC1 (via internal switching), which is input on "PS Input". IMHO that labeling could be clearer. Nevertheless, remove the jumper cable and attach the coupled output of your external coupler to "PS Input", via a suitable attenuator, if necesssary.

Scott
Bill in Georgia

Postby Bill in Georgia » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 pm

WOW ...Thanks Scott for the correction on Pure Signal

But you'd better give it to me in simple terms...

On my 200D I have a cable that goes from the IN connector of the amplifier to the RX Bypass OUT of the 200 ..where does this cable go on the 8000?

Also a cable runs from 10/20 db pad on the coupler to ANT 1 on the 200 ...where does this cable go on the 8000.

The author of the 8000 Users manual. should make the corrections and changes on terminology, relative to, or a lot of guys are going to pull a lot of hair out..LOL
Better yet a simple schematic/drawing would answer a lot of questions on Pure Signal/Anan 8000DLE

Thanks,

-Bill
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Bill in Georgia wrote:On my 200D I have a cable that goes from the IN connector of the amplifier to the RX Bypass OUT of the 200 ..where does this cable go on the 8000?

That does not sound possible. First, the Bypass connector on the 200D is an input. Secondly, assuming you have correctly selected "Bypass on TX" in the setup screens, this is the input to which you attach the forward coupled output of the coupler. This is almost certainly the coupler output that has a pad on it.

Also a cable runs from 10/20 db pad on the coupler to ANT 1 on the 200 ...where does this cable go on the 8000.

Again, this does not sound possible.

I do believe that your are not properly reporting your connections to the coupler, amp and 200D. You should probably take another look at it and report back how it's really connected.

It's probably worth pointing out that some knowledge of how things work is valuable. To simply settle for "connect this here and that there" doesn't help very much when you need to do something else, like hook up a new radio ;)

If you are using an Xtronic coupler, then your 200D setup should look like what is described here at Rob's most excellent web page.

The only differences you need to make for your 8000 are to connect the feedback cable to the PS Input port instead of the Bypass port, and, more than likely, reduce the value of the attenuator you have in-line between the coupler and the PS Input port. It needs to be at least 6dB less on the 8000 compared to the 200D. Also, there is no need to select "Bypass on TX" because the 8000 has no such function.

Scott
Bill in Georgia

Postby Bill in Georgia » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 am

That's what you get when you hit the BIG 80, and you try and recall something from memory...No I have it right; exactly like the write up on rev.24 ... you referenced....

So OK I got it now..thanks for your patience, but the panel and manual rhetoric thru me, then I crossed up the 200 connections, so it was not best of days..LOL

TNX,

Bill
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:17 am

No worries, Bill, it's not like the documentation is super clear ;) That's why we have the forum, and great websites like Rob's.

73!

Scott

Return to “PureSignal Operations (PowerSDR & Thetis)”