Interested in upgrading ANAN-100D

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
Phil WB9TAE

Interested in upgrading ANAN-100D

Postby Phil WB9TAE » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:14 pm

Just fired up a used ANAN-100D, using it on-the-air for a few weeks now, mainly phone, & having fun with it. It was originally purchased in November 2016. I installed OpenHPSDR mRX PS v3.4.9 on my Win10 I5 quad 3.1 GHz shack PC with 1GB ethernet & the Angelia firmware version is reported as v4.8. The ANAN-100D & PC are connected to an unmanaged LinkSys 1 GB ethernet switch.

I am interested in upgrading the ANAN-100D to the latest release of firmware & using the latest release of Thetis as a client.

I have read the 1st 3 pinned messages in this forum & believe I understand what I need to do to upgrade. Please allow me to summarize & I would appreciate any additional guidance:

-download & install Protocol 1 HPSDR Programmer, since Protocol 1 firmware is currently in the radio hardware
-download the latest firmware file: Protocol 2/Angelia (ANAN-100D)/Angelia_Protocol_2_v12.0.rbf
-follow the "Protocol 1 HPSDR Programmer Instructions" steps 1-9 in W2UO's pinned msg: "Guide To Using HPSDR Programmer and HPSDR Bootloader"

Questions I have:
-Will I need to change out the F3 fuse to a higher value?
-At what point during the firmware programming sequence should I change the ANAN-100D to a fixed IP with the Protocol 1 HPSDR Programmer? Before I program the firmware, then do another "discovery"?
-Can I downgrade the ANAN-100D back to the current version if the upgrade doesn't work?

Thank you for any assistance,
Phil WB9TAE
w-u-2-o

Re: Interested in upgrading ANAN-100D

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:45 pm

I'd recommend using Bootloader for loading P2 firmware. The reason is because it will be very likely you will have to try a number of different versions, or may want to go back to P1, and Bootloader is the most reliable way of doing this. Unfortunately this means you will have to gain access to the Bootloader jumper. For that reason I executed a "open it once and be done with it" modification on my 100D:

http://wu2o.dyndns.org/wu2o_bootloader_switch.html

You may have to change the F3 PTC device. There is a good chance of that.

If you use Bootloader it does not matter what the hardware IP is set to. For normal operation I like using DHCP, and I have both my PC and radio hardware on a switch that is uplinked to my router. Do what you need to do with respect to your network configuration.

Again, downgrades can only be accomplished with Bootloader.

Be sure to read the 100D (Angelia) specific P2 topic to see how the various versions available worked out for everyone.
Phil WB9TAE

Re: Interested in upgrading ANAN-100D

Postby Phil WB9TAE » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:04 am

I appreciate the recommendations & the time you take to assist the community, sounds like the way to go. I think I'll order some replacement F3s & "while I'm in there" replacing it, also do the bootloader switch mod.

Thank you,
Phil WB9TAE

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”