Trouble using HPSDRProgrammer 2.0 and HPSDRBootloader 2.0

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
rbduck

Trouble using HPSDRProgrammer 2.0 and HPSDRBootloader 2.0

Postby rbduck » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:14 am

I'm having a problem with both the programs mentioned above. I couldn't get either to work correctly. I read the Guides from beginning to end. I searched for terms relating to the errors I received . I did get a hit on one.

First I tried to use HPSDRProgrammer 2.0. I received an error stating it could not find the board and told me I may need to use Bootloader. The bootloader switch was in the correct position.

I moved to HPSDRBootloader 2.0. It did find the board. I read the IP address from the board. I thought it was unusual. It was 255.255.255.255.
I put a static IP of 10.0.0.101. I wrote it and it reported back that it was written to the board.

Next I moved to the next section that was named "Board Programmer" I browsed for the .rbf file I had downloaded. The file name is Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9 . It was listed on the github website under the 7000DLE/8000DLE download section.
I browsed for the file. WHen I selected it I received the error "HPSDRBootloader Proggrammer only write to boards with an ethernet connection! Use HPSDRBootloader as a JTAG programmer for c:\Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf "

I moved to the JTAG programmer section. I browsed for the same file and received an error interrogating the JTAG chain! Check that the correct interface is selected! Check that there is a jumper on J1 for Metis . HPSDRBootloader JTAG Programmer will on write to Mercury and Penelope/Pennylane boards! Penelope has been found! This rbf does not match C:\Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf

I searched and found one thread about this error and that it may have been caused by the way the file was downloaded from the github site. I downloaded it again. Same error. Did I download the incorrect file? Thanks for any help you may give.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
W1AEX

Re: Trouble using HPSDRProgrammer 2.0 and HPSDRBootloader 2.0

Postby W1AEX » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:02 am

Ruben,

I'm assuming that you are directly connected to your anan since you installed a static IP address. A couple of quick comments:

1. You say the bootloader switch was in the correct position while using the HPSDRProgrammer. If you are using the HPSDRProgrammer that would mean it should be in the Run position as the HPSDRProgrammer does not require moving the bootloader switch to bootloader. Just making sure you know that. If it's in the bootloader position the HPSDRProgrammer will not be able to discover the board.

2. The error you received when selecting the firmware file is well documented in Scott's tutorial. Simply add the word Metis to the beginning of the firmware file and it will go right in.

3. The JTAG programmer is not used for the simple task of writing the IP address or a routine upload of firmware to the radio.

Review Scott;s tutorial! Hope this helps, 73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:37 am

Moving this topic to the correct sub-forum. It has nothing to do with PowerSDR.

rbduck wrote:I'm having a problem with both the programs mentioned above. I couldn't get either to work correctly. I read the Guides from beginning to end. I searched for terms relating to the errors I received . I did get a hit on one.
It would seem that perhaps you are having difficulty navigating the forum. I have moved this topic to the Firmware Discussion > Upgrading/Downgrading sub-forum. In this subforum you will find a number of tacked topics that discuss exactly how to use these tools.

First I tried to use HPSDRProgrammer 2.0. I received an error stating it could not find the board and told me I may need to use Bootloader. The bootloader switch was in the correct position.
As Rob points out, the switch needs to be in the "normal" position for Programmer, and the Bootloader position for Bootloader. It is easy to get confused because the switch is not labeled. I recommend you label it carefully once you figure out which position is which.

I moved to HPSDRBootloader 2.0. It did find the board. I read the IP address from the board. I thought it was unusual. It was 255.255.255.255. I put a static IP of 10.0.0.101. I wrote it and it reported back that it was written to the board.
So now you know which position is for Bootloader. Again, label it carefully for future reference.

Next I moved to the next section that was named "Board Programmer" I browsed for the .rbf file I had downloaded. The file name is Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9 . It was listed on the github website under the 7000DLE/8000DLE download section.
I browsed for the file. WHen I selected it I received the error "HPSDRBootloader Proggrammer only write to boards with an ethernet connection! Use HPSDRBootloader as a JTAG programmer for c:\Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf "
You clearly did not find the right tacked topic to read. It is right at the top of this sub-forum. To make it SUPER easy: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2333

When working with Protocol 2 it is strongly recommended to only use Bootloader.

But also be sure to read the other tacked topics in this same sub-forum. And, since you are starting to work with Protocol 2, be sure to check out the Protocol 2 sub-forum and read the tacked topics there as well, and, most important, this topic: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3192

I moved to the JTAG programmer section. I browsed for the same file and received an error interrogating the JTAG chain! Check that the correct interface is selected! Check that there is a jumper on J1 for Metis . HPSDRBootloader JTAG Programmer will on write to Mercury and Penelope/Pennylane boards! Penelope has been found! This rbf does not match C:\Orion_MkII_Protocol_2_v1.9.rbf
This part of Bootloader you will not need except under the most bizarre and unlikely circumstances.

I searched and found one thread about this error and that it may have been caused by the way the file was downloaded from the github site. I downloaded it again. Same error. Did I download the incorrect file? Thanks for any help you may give.
Again, read ALL of the tacked topics here: viewforum.php?f=18
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:58 am

Looks like Scott and Rob have pretty much covered all the basis, and there is good coverage of all this in the forum. But just want to reiterate that bootloader has issues working through switches, save yourself some issues and do a direct network connection from your PC and the Anan.

Also the metis name at the beginning of the rbf, or just call it metis.rbf
Gary NC3Z
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 pm

NC3Z wrote:But just want to reiterate that bootloader has issues working through switches, save yourself some issues and do a direct network connection from your PC and the Anan.
I'm afraid I must disagree with this statement, Gary. Bootloader has absolutely no problem working through DUMB switches. It's only Layer 2 or Layer 3 managed switches that it has problems with.

The reason for this is because (and Phil hates when I bring this up, but it causes people so many problems it has required endless repeating, just as it does now) when they designed the Bootloader build they had it assign a fake MAC of 11:22:33:44:55:66 to the hardware when it runs, and that MAC is an illegal MAC address that is rejected for forwarding by any intelligent (managed) switch.

So as long as your switch, or switches are DUMB, non-managed, devices it will work just fine though that switch.

BTW, to work around this problem, I had to add a dumb switch to my network topology. Normally I would have every device in the house go back to my single, large, fully-managed switch. But because of this issue the PC that I do my firmware loading with and the radio hardware exist on a small, dumb, GigE switch which is up-linked to my main switch.
NC3Z

Postby NC3Z » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:42 pm

OK, it may as well work through DUMB switches. My Netgear is not dumb so I use to have to go direct, but since I switched to a dedicated NIC on the PC it is a moot point.
Gary NC3Z
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for all you have written. I've learned much over the past few days, but I've barely scratched the surface. I do get a little embarrassed by the obvious things I miss. I'm not getting a lot of time to spend reading and grasping what I need. I'll get there.

I have moved from this problem to another one that I've posted about in the networking section. That one is also turning into a brain teaser (squeezer!). I do love this radio no matter how big a pain it seems sometimes. Thanks again!
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”