Firmware Programmer & Bootloader versions

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
Joe

Firmware Programmer & Bootloader versions

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 pm

Scott,
Could you please explain the firmware programmer and bootloader versions. Mainly which one to use for the correct operating system and protocol, etc. The instruction set is great that you have, I use your link to the programmer but there are quite a few to choose from. I thought I had read this information before but seem to have lost the location.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
W1AEX

Re: Firmware Programmer & Bootloader versions

Postby W1AEX » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:24 pm

Hi Joe,

I'm not as good looking as Scott but I can answer this one:

The HPSDRProgrammer (version 2 nopcap) utility is the most convenient for flashing any protocol 1 firmware to another protocol 1 version. You can also use the HPSDRProgrammer to flash from protocol 1 to protocol 2, however, it is unable to flash from protocol 2 back to protocol 1. No need to fuss with the bootloader switch/jumper when using the HPSDRProgrammer.

The HPSDRBootloader utility works great for flashing protocol 1 to protocol 1 or protocol 2. It also works great for flashing protocol 2 to protocol 2 or flashing back to protocol 1. In all cases you must set the bootloader switch when running the HPSDRBootloader utility.

The HPSDRProgrammer version 0.2.7 that runs through your web browser can flash from protocol 2 to protocol 2 and also from protocol 2 back to protocol 1. It cannot flash from protocol 1 to protocol 2. The bootloader switch is not used when flashing with this utility.

I use the stand-alone HPSDRProgrammer utility to flash protocol 1 to protocol 1 and also when flashing from protocol 1 to protocol 2. When I flash protocol 2 firmware to another protocol 2 version I use the HPSDRProgrammer version 0.2.7 web browser utility and also use this to go from protocol 2 back to protocol 1. By using these two utilities I never have to mess around with the bootloader switch. You will find that the web browser utility gets the flash done surprisingly fast.

Hope that helps!

Rob W1AEX
Last edited by W1AEX on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:34 pm

What Rob said, plus:

There is actually two different firmware loads in the radio at any given time: the "normal" firmware, the stuff that does all of the cool RF stuff we love, and the bootloader firmware.

Programmer (any version) only works if you have good "normal" firmware in the unit. If the normal firmware is messed up then you have to go to Bootloader.

The trick here, of course, is that the Bootloader firmware is protected in a way that makes if VERY difficult to mess it up, thereby acting as a method of last resort in the event you have fouled up the normal firmware. This way you never wind up with a radio bricked so badly it has to be attached to a JTAG programming pod (for many people that equates to "has to go back to the factory", not everyone, though ;) )

The other reason to use Bootloader is if you do not want to have to remember that the old programmer is for 1-->1, 1-->2 and the new programmer is for 2-->2 and 2-->1, which can get confusing for some people.

Of course once we have all abandoned Protocol 1 we'll all forget about old programmer/new programmer and it won't be a problem any more. When that day will be be I can't say.

Lastly, do be sure to read this thread if you have not already.

Scott
Joe

Postby Joe » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks very much for the information, I hate to admit it but the reason I am here is that I had protocol 2 firmware running and very very well I might add but got the urge to try the updated sdr-radio software v3.0. Well, sdr-radio would not start so I tried to go back to my trusty Thetis, which is great and it would start to run for maybe two to three seconds and freeze. I then tried database reset, etc., I finally used the bootloader to get back to protocol 1 and powersdr max ps, that took care of the freeze problem. I hope no one else has this issue, if they try sdr-radio they might need to be ready to back track. The only thing that I did not do before down grading firmware / software, is delete wisdom and database files to force completely new database setup steps, step one that starts asking radio version, etc. after wisdom information completed. The reason I mention this is because these steps appeared when I downgraded and started powersdr max ps. I did try a database reset and loaded an earlier database version but did not work before downgrading. I plan to reload protocol 2 as soon as possible. Thanks for all of the help.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”