Bricked my radio, what to do next?

Bricked your radio? Can't get it to program? Ask here...
Justin

Bricked my radio, what to do next?

Postby Justin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:52 pm

After 2 years of operating and upgrading software and firmware with only the usual problems, I finally managed to “brick” my 200D.

Thanks to this new site I was able to find out how to go about fixing my radio. At least the info is all one place and easy to find. The directions were good, thanks Rob. I was able to get the bootloader to see the radio.

I found the .rbf I wanted to change to, well the bootloader indicated that the .rbf does not match the one I told it I wanted to use. I tried to get it to revert back to 4.4, 4.7 still the same problem. “This .rbf does not match”. Now what? Any ideas on what I did wrong? I have restarted both the radio and the computer, no luck.

My computer is dedicated to the radio, it is an Intel NUC Core i7 with 16. GB running Windows 10 with the latest update. I am using a GB switch that has worked well. I disconnected the switch and went straight from the computer to the radio. It had been doing well till this latest adventure.

Oh, Scott, thanks for your efforts on this new board setup. It is so much better for us old guys to find information rather than the Yahoo board. Please pass my 73 to the rest of the administrators.

If I can get someone to tell me where to go to get my radio running again I will be happy, Hi.

Justin K5WAZ
w-u-2-o

Re: Bricked my radio, what to do next?

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:30 pm

Hi Justin,

Just change the name of the rbf file to "metis.rbf". I believe that will solve your problem.

73!

Scott

P.S. thanks for the nice feedback!
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 am

Justin PM'd me that the above suggestion fixed his problem.

Scott
Justin

Postby Justin » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:49 pm

Scott, sorry for the PM, not used to this new format. I hope this comes out better. Not a computer guy but do like the layout and the much better search function.

As for renaming the .rfb file, it did work. Thank you so much for the help.

I was so happy to get my radio working again I was on it rather than here.
Justin K5WAZ
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 am

Justin wrote:I was so happy to get my radio working again I was on it rather than here.
:)
wt9s

Postby wt9s » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:21 am

I'm having the same issue with my 10E, what file name should I be using to make the bootlader believe it's correct?
SA3ATF

Postby SA3ATF » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 am

Because it worked with my 200D with metis. ,,,, rbf I would think it works with the same in your case.
Otherwise, I certainly believe someone else in this eminent forum may seem to share two opinions.

Anyway good luck Justin!
I don’t suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it!
wt9s

Postby wt9s » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:50 am

No, metis does not work. Nor does penelope or hermes.

The error message says "Penelope has been found. This .rbf does not match"

To be clear, my radio isn't bricked, it has the new beta firmware on it and I was trying to go back.
w4kcn

Postby w4kcn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:15 am

You need to run HPSDRBootloader to go from protocol 2 back to protocol 1.
wt9s

Postby wt9s » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 am

I am running HPSDRBootloader. It's telling me the v 1.5 rbf doesn't match with Penelope.
wt9s

Postby wt9s » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:41 am

And FWIW, I just tried programming the protocol 2 firmware and got the same error.
Conrad_PA5Y

Postby Conrad_PA5Y » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:47 pm

So in an attempt to investigate the 'sticky relay' problem on my ANAN-100D I decided to upgrade the firmware for my ANAN-100D to Angelia_v6.0rbf. I have upgraded the FW before with the HPSDR programmer without any issues. Anyway unbelievably I had a power outage for a few seconds which of course bricked my radio.

So I thought Ah well bootloader time. I also took the opportunity to add a bootloader rear panel switch in the style of WU2O. This works perfectly. With the switch closed I detect the bootloader and have successfully both set the IP address, read the ANAN MAC address and programmed the new firmware FROM the BOOTLOADER application.

I then turn off the ANAN, switch off the bootloader switch and power cycle. I cannot discover the radio with the programmer and cannot use PowerSDRmRX PS . I checked that there was no short circuit on my bootloader switch but that is fine. When I try to discover the bootloader using the bootloader program with the bootloader switch off it does not see the bootloader. Power cycle with it on and the HDSDR bootloader program sees the bootloader and the IP address is
what I had set it to previously.

What can the problem be?

I have read the forum but did not see this problem described anywhere
obvious.

Regards

Conrad PA5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Conrad reported separately that the problem was that he was not using the proper clicks to download the firmware .rbf file from the TAPR github site. He was therefore getting a file but not the right file. Once he downloaded the file correctly everything was fine.

It is beyond annoying that the github site allows this mistake, and that both bootloader and programmer do not perform any integrity checking on the files.

I will update the bootloader and programmer instructions on the Apache forum to include this issue in the hope that similar problems can be avoided by others in the future.

Scott
Conrad_PA5Y

Postby Conrad_PA5Y » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:03 pm

Scott is correct.

Specifically right click and save as results in a corrupted rbf file when using the GitHub repository. The bootloader application appears to be happy with the file and erases then programs the firmware as expected. There is absolutely no indication that your rbf is corrupted. Until you try and use your radio.

The correct procedure from the GitHub repository is to left click and then click the download button. This results in a successful outcome and a sigh of relief.

Conrad

Return to “Upgrading/Downgrading”