Anan 7000 DLE - Proper RX-Antenna configuration

iw7dmh

Anan 7000 DLE - Proper RX-Antenna configuration

Postby iw7dmh » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:30 pm

Hi,

I connected a RX terminated loop on my 7000-DLE ANT-2 connector.
I am planning to use it on 20/30/40/80/160m so I configured the Antenna control as in the picture below.

ANT-Control.jpg
Antenna COntrol
ANT-Control.jpg (66.54 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

Ant-1 should be the only transmitting antenna.

The problem is that, each time I start transmitting, Thetis (2.8.11) reads a high swr value and it shows the red alarm rectangle around the panadapter window. After few millisecond (something between 50ms and 100ms) the swr reading become lower, about 1.3:1 as I expect from the transmitting antenna.
I suspect I have had misconfigured some of the timeout shown below: maybe the Key-Down value is too small.

Delays.jpg
Delays.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 3102 times

Can you please suggest the proper setup so that I don't damage the rig?

Thank you in advance
73' iw7dmh
Enzo
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 7000 DLE - Proper RX-Antenna configuration

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:07 pm

Your delay values are fine. I run separate transmit and receive antennas on certain bands. The only delay relevant to the RX-to-TX transition is "RF Delay" and I use 2 (and those values are in milliseconds).

What happens if you put a dummy load on the ANT2 connector?
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:11 pm

I don't know if newer firmware 'fixed' this but back in 2018 I worked with Doug on an issue where I was seeing "HI SWR" effects when using a 2nd ant port to bring in a RX antenna and while sending CW using semi-break in. Doug found at a Key Down setting of 7 (default I believe) there was RF present before the relays completed their switch-over. Also - additionally - I had a problem (this was not while using a separate RX antenna) where the first element of the first letter sent on CW was truncated. I had people I was calling sending "A9RX?" ... I had a friend listen in and we confirmed this was the case.

To "solve" these problems I set Key Up and Key Down both to 30mS. I am not aware of any downside to these settings - only the issue they averted.

Now that said I will add: to this day I can't use semi-breakin on any band where I'm using a separate RX antenna (60/80/160). If I do I see HI SWR issues, still. I have to step on the footswitch when using CW. A PITA ... but it is what it is. I am using firmware version 2.30 and PSDR 3.4.9.

Gary Myers
K9RX
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:18 pm

Just to clarify, all of my experiences are with phone or digital, not CW.

Enzo: with what modes are you experiencing problems?
iw7dmh

Postby iw7dmh » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:23 pm

Hello,

thank you very much for your answers.
I have to confirm what Gary said: i have no issue in SSB mode using the mic PTT or the MOX Thetis button.
The problem is only in CW mode and as suggested, after having set Key Up and Key Down both to 30mS, it was solved.
Now, it is still not clear for me if those setting will make me missing the first part of the first letter. I'll have to do some test with a friend, or Gary, please, help me to better understand what you mean with "only the issue they averted". (Sorry for my bad English comprehension).

Best 73'
Enzo, iw7dmh
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Enzo - Ciao!

I was only saying by going to these values I eliminated the truncation of the first element being sent. Which I believe you say you now see as well. So it must STILL exist.

Gary
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:34 pm

At 30ms it is very possible to miss a first dit, send or receive, at higher send rates. Using the "PARIS" standard, a dit length is approximately 60/(50*words-per-minute), so at 20 WPM a dit is only 60ms.

This would appear to be an unavoidable consequence of the delays inherent in the software/firmware commanding the relays to switch between antennas, and the physical relay switching speed. When Chris coded up and improved the break-in performance, it was predicated on no T/R switching, i.e. the radio operates in full duplex mode when break-in is set to "semi".

Note that this is all theoretical to me, I'm not a CW operator ;)
iw7dmh

Postby iw7dmh » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:05 pm

Hi,
thank you very much for the further clarification.
Considering I am planning to use a power amplifier a 30ms delay is not so bad.
As Scott pointed out it is unavoidable and it happens on other rigs as well.
The important things are not damaging the rig and be on air with a understandable code.

Best 73'
Enzo, iw7dmh

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”