Power supply requirements for ANAN 7000 DLEMKII

JJ4SDR

Power supply requirements for ANAN 7000 DLEMKII

Postby JJ4SDR » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:12 am

Hi,

I did see a few threads dealing with power supplies for use with the 7000 or 8000 series radios and also there was mention of Astron 35M which is what I am using.

Now, at 50W (running CW) the voltage indicator on the bottom left of the display shows 13.2V when I am putting out 50W (this is more or less the max RF out I use with my amplifier as well). When I put out 100W the voltage drops to 13V! When I am merely monitoring the voltage indication "toggles" between 13.8V and 13.7V. I used the Astron with my Kenwood TS950SDX/amp for several years, but don't have any info on what the voltage drop might have been, but as that remained "hidden" as there was no voltage indicator telling me that there might have been issue (perhaps there wasn't any at the time and I never observed the needle of the current meter not moving either).

I do have a SPS by Jetstream (45A surge, 40A continuous) that I could put in just for a look-see, but on principle I don't want any SPS power supply for the ANAN as that might just be asking for all kinds of RFI.

Now, by way of a "side bar" the lights in my shack flicker slightly when I am using the amp which leads me to think that I may need to consider getting 240 V/@40A into the shack which would be quite a project. The distance from the breaker box to my shack would be around 90 feet. On another forum someone told me if I were to run a brand-new cable (according to electrical code) in a conduit to the shack I would in essence be building "a ground loop" that might not be helping things. Then again, many have put in 240VAC for use in their shacks.

Q1: What is the tolerance on the 13.8V voltage?
Q2: Perhaps there is something going on with the Astron. Surely that is the case as the needle of the current indicator doesn't move at all at times only to start moving again at some point.
Q3: Perhaps the line to my shack is inadequate?

Thoughts?

Juha
PC: 8 Core i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz, NVMe SK Hynix 512 GB SSD, 32GB RAM
Windows 10 Home, Version 22H2
Thetis v2.10.4.3 x64
Protocol 2 v2.1.18

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”