Remote Power On/OFF - 7000DLEMkII

w8du

Remote Power On/OFF - 7000DLEMkII

Postby w8du » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:06 pm

Has anyone successfully implemented remote power on/off for your Anan 7000DLEMkII?
If so, please let me know what you did.
Tnx de Arnie W8DU
Joe

Re: Remote Power On/OFF - 7000DLEMkII

Postby Joe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:16 pm

I did this to an 8000dle but it involved hardware additions. I wanted the same functionality as the flex line, grounding the center rca pin to power on radio. I added a 12vdc relay coil spst contacts in parallel with the “power on” switch. The coil pos. is tapped to the 12vdc bus and coil neg. connects to an rca connector added on the radio rear. When the center pin of the rca connector is grounded the rig is powered up. I have this interfaced to a Denkovi relay interface that I can start via a batch file that brings up all software - Thetis, wn2, ddutil, etc. The Denkovi starts the radio with a line in the batch file. All remote. An easier way would be to use an ethernet or usb switch to energize a relay big enough to carry the power to the 12 vdc power supply. I did a post here regarding this quite some time back. I hope you get this worked out as you prefer.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:24 pm

I control all aspects of my station including remote antenna and power switching via DDUtil, using its ability for macro button control of a PLC. I even have remote control of my bootloader switch. See my QRZ page and follow it to my station website.

Bottom line is that you will have to provision a remotely controlled switch or relay of some kind.
w8du

Postby w8du » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Thanks for the replies. Scott, I get that I will need a PLC, but the question I really have is how to interface the external relay to the radio. In other words, do I parallel the relay with the power switch in the radio, or is there some other method to use?
Tnx de Arnie W8DU
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:32 pm

You don't need a PLC per se, that's just how I chose to do it as it is a very nice way of effecting station automation with DDUtil. You can use any of dozens of network controlled relay type products. DDUtil also supports more conventional type relay systems.

There is no benefit to modifying the radio to get access to or replace the power switch. The power switch is a simple SPST switch in series with the main 12V input line. Just leave it in the "on" position and provision an external relay on the main 12V input line.
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:50 pm

I did the same also with bringing the remote bootloader to the rear panel, very helpful for loading new firmware. The main reason I wanted to parallel the radio power switch was I only needed to use a small relay with low amp rating at this point. If I used one to control main power to the radio it would have to been much larger in rating and also outboard as well. I also added internal cabling and connections to the USB port for the lcd controller for programming remotely. You might check out the denkovi site for relay units and plc units.

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w8du

Postby w8du » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks guys. I happen to have a denkovi board with an unused set of relay contacts so will put that into service for this.
73 de Arnie W8DU

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”