How do I update firmware on black 7kMKII with no Bootloader Switch on rear panel?

K1LSB

How do I update firmware on black 7kMKII with no Bootloader Switch on rear panel?

Postby K1LSB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:30 pm

Gents,

This is my first post in the Community. I ordered a new black-face 7000DLE MKII last week from the Apache Labs website, they sent me an email stating that my radio should ship next Monday (so I don't actually have it yet).

Here's my concern: I've looked everywhere I can think to look, and I haven't seen any mention of how to flash an update to the firmware on the new black face 7K MKII, which according to the published pictures doesn't have a Bootloader Switch on the rear panel.

It appears that a very recent update to the Protocol 2 firmware is available, with likely more to follow, so it's possible that I will have a legitimate reason to want to update the firmware soon after my radio arrives. But I can find no clear instructions on how to perform that task on a radio that has no bootloader switch.

Does anyone have any info they can provide?

TIA,

Mark K1LSB
w4cm

Re: How do I update firmware on black 7kMKII with no Bootloader Switch on rear panel?

Postby w4cm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:42 pm

Check page 55 of the operating manual
K1LSB

Re: How do I update firmware on black 7kMKII with no Bootloader Switch on rear panel?

Postby K1LSB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:39 pm

w4cm wrote:Check page 55 of the operating manual

Not sure what you mean by "operating manual", here is what page 55 looks like in the ANAN-7000DLE MKII User Guide, I see nothing in there that addresses my question:

7KMKII User Guise page 55.PNG
7KMKII User Guise page 55.PNG (325.54 KiB) Viewed 8414 times

Please advise.

TIA
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm

Depending on the specific 7000 variant you have, some have the bootloader switch on the rear panel, others have it on the underside of the unit. So check the bottom of your unit. And when you do this, make sure you label the switch positions so you don't get confused.
w4cm

Postby w4cm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 pm

My manual this is on page 55:

Download the HPSDRBootloader installer for Windows HERE. Install the HPSDRBootloader software. Connect the radio to your computer network using an ethernet cable. Place the radio into bootloader mode using the slide switch on the bottom panel. Power the radio ON. Having a direct ethernet connection between the radio and computer is highly recommended and in some cases will be required. Run the HPSDRBootloader software.

Keep looking it will be there.

Page 60 in the new "Guide "
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 pm

w4cm wrote:Download the HPSDRBootloader installer for Windows HERE. Install the HPSDRBootloader software. Connect the radio to your computer network using an ethernet cable. Place the radio into bootloader mode using the slide switch on the bottom panel. Power the radio ON. Having a direct ethernet connection between the radio and computer is highly recommended and in some cases will be required. Run the HPSDRBootloader software.

Keep looking it will be there.

Page 60 in the new "Guide "

Thanks for clarifying the page number, I did find that verbiage.

Here's hoping there's a "slide switch on the bottom panel", or the proud owners of the new black model will in for a big surprise at flash time! :?
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:45 pm

w-u-2-o wrote:Depending on the specific 7000 variant you have, some have the bootloader switch on the rear panel, others have it on the underside of the unit. So check the bottom of your unit. And when you do this, make sure you label the switch positions so you don't get confused.

Thanks for that heads-up Scott, will do.
Ernie

Postby Ernie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 am

I can confirm that on the blue face 7000dle, the switch is on the bottom, but is installed randomly without regard to orientation. Some are operate towards the outside of the rig, some are bootload toward the outside of the rig, and none (that I have seen) are labelled. YMMV

W2FMU
Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:19 pm

The switch is on the bottom of my 7000 blackface.
K1LSB

Postby K1LSB » Sun Feb 16, 2020 4:30 pm

Jim wrote:The switch is on the bottom of my 7000 blackface.

Thanks Jim, is the switch labeled as to which position does what?
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:16 pm

Lifting the front of the radio and looking at the bottom. The switch position left is for bootloader. "Normal" is to the right or switched closes to the right hand side of the radio . That is how mine is configured. I bought the radio new in December 2019. It was not labeled. I did that myself.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
Jim

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:30 pm

Correct!

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”