Remote power on/off ?

Joe

Remote power on/off ?

Postby Joe » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:33 pm

Is there a way to remotely turn the Anan on and off? I have the Anan 8000dle. I plan to mount the radio remotely. I know you could leave the radio on and cycle power the power supply on / off but possibly have a power variation at power up. Any suggestions or versions of what others are doing?

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Re: Remote power on/off ?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:29 pm

There is no way to do this within the context of Apache hardware or open source software. You have to provide some sort of remotely controlled, external switching mechanisms.

My entire station is remotely located in a rack in my basement (photo below). I use both a programmable logic controller (PLC) and a commercial AC power distribution unit to control power in the rack. The PLC is put on the network using a serial device server. The AC power unit has Ethernet built-in.

The PLC is controlled via DDUtil. It is an outstanding asset to my station and provides a great deal of automation associated with both the remote auto-tuner and antenna switch, as well as some utility switching functions. I even modified the 8000 to allow the PLC to remotely activate the Bootloader switch.

"Vintage" Baytech RPC-3 AC power controllers are on eBay pretty often for not much money. I've got one and have been very happy with it.

Scott

Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:56 pm

Scott

Your remote setup is awesome! Thanks for the photo and information. I wasn’t sure from your info but I take it that you leave the on/off switch on the 8000 on and power up the 8000 by the remote power unit. You also brought out the bootloader switch connections to the 8000 rear by an rca or similar connector?

73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:28 pm

Correct on both counts!
Joe

Postby Joe » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:16 pm

Scott

I am running Anan 8000dle with protocol 2 firmware and Thetis 2.60. I setup the rig with the power button in (on) and powered up the setup when turning the astron rs-70 on remotely, when I do this the radio comes up with “radio not found error or not powered up”, I can only get the rig to come up when I power all completely down and restart the Anan 8000 by pushing the power button after the power supply has been turned on? Have you seen this in your remote setup? The other thing that has happened is the radio (Thetis) stops right after turning on, I am using vac. It acts as if the audio buffer and associated settings are set way to tight, I have to go back into the settings and re-enter data points to correct but the data points are not changed. Just checking to see if you have seen this before.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:07 pm

I have not seen either one of those behaviors specifically. However, the P2 firmware currently available from the TAPR Git repository is not stable on all radios, so that is most likely the problem.

I'm hoping the developers will release some more recent firmware soon.
Joe

Re: Remote power on/off & remote control installs

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:52 pm

I am planning the install of a RCA connector on the 8000 rear plate. Is there any way to find out if the power switch just grounds the control line to power the rig on?. I tried going over the supplied schematics but it’s not shown? I am also looking into installing the connector for the bootloader, which the idea came from Scott’s install. Also, looking into usb connector for the connection to the lcd / control unit, this would allow updating without cabinet removal. The bootloader is shown in the schematic, it grounds the control line for the update process, just can’t find anything on the power switch circuit? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:45 pm

Joe--I have no idea about the power switch. I'd have to open up my 8000 to take a look, same as you, I'm afraid.

As for a USB connection for the Arduino, I had read in the past about someone using something like this cable, and sneaking it out between the cover and rear panel.

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Ribbon-degree-standard-charging/dp/B07B9NNN98
Joe

Postby Joe » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:55 pm

Thanks Scott

I will verify the power switch when I open rig. I plan to install this usb cable, I also ordered a 90 degree adapter in case the plug into the arduino is close:
http://www.l-com.com/usb-waterproof-usb ... 5-male-05m

The rca connectors I have can also be isolated from ground with the supplied insulating washers, we will see?

I will post the results after I work this in.

Thanks and 73’s
Joe
WD5Y
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:08 pm

If the power switch is switching any significant power an RCA connector may not be adequate.

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”