Anan 8000 fan noise

Josh

Anan 8000 fan noise

Postby Josh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:46 am

Hey guys,

Bought an 8000 the other day and so far I'm rather impressed with it's signal cleanliness and tx audio quality. Especially for digital modes! Very clean.

As it is quite a new unit I just wanted to clarify whether, when the fan is on its lowest speed, does the fan in your radios make a very slight rattle/chatter noise. It's only slight , but it's one of those things that once noticed you can never ignore. It seems to disappear when the fan speeds up. Probably just the the fan is reverberating and this may lessen overtime.

I have actually moved it to the next room As the fan gets quite loud, but I wanted to see if it was party normal before I've had it too long. Maybe I'm being a bit too picky. Lol
w-u-2-o

Re: Anan 8000 fan noise

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:15 pm

The fan control circuit provides no snubber action on the PWM waveform (edges are sharp) and this makes the fan noisy. The PWM is just controlled by a digital output of the Arduino connected to the gate of FET Q7.

You could try adding a snubber circuit such as that shown in this topic:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2682

Unlike the 7000, there is no fan controller chip to be fooled into a fail-unsafe state by such a circuit so its implementation would be OK in the 8000.
Josh

Re: Anan 8000 fan noise

Postby Josh » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm not too technically minded so they're most likely to all sound like that when idling and the fan is on its lowest speed.

I'll check out that thread.

Thanks. :D

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”