Problems with original equipment fuses and fuse holders

w-u-2-o

Problems with original equipment fuses and fuse holders

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri May 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Not a new problem, but it came up on the forum recently and is worthy of a "sticky" post:

This is a photo of my original fuse before I replaced it and the low quality original fuseholder with something better:

The low quality fuse holders that were shipped with many early radios can make a bad connection to the fuse and cause resistive heating at that connection, thereby damaging the fuse and causing major voltage drops. In my case it was causing funky PureSignal operation. Another typical symptom is poor output power on 6M. Low voltage at your power connector at the back of the radio will cause all kinds of strange problems. Check your fuse and fuseholder and replace both if necessary. Check your power supply, and check your voltage with a voltmeter right at the connector on the radio (you can fit the probes into the backshell pretty easily.

73!

Scott
WA0VY

Re: Problems with original equipment fuses and fuse holders

Postby WA0VY » Fri May 26, 2017 11:40 pm

One obvious answer to this issue is to use a RIGrunner, or similar, nominal 12 vdc fused PDU and direct cable runs from the PDU. Since I have approximately 10 12 vdc devices, that is what I have done and there are no fuses on the lines, only on the PDU. Works great and I have seen no measurable voltage drops.
73 Brent WA0VY
W1AEX

Re: Problems with original equipment fuses and fuse holders

Postby W1AEX » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:21 pm

I had really good luck with the inline ATO fuse holders sold by Parts Express. This one is the same ATO inline style but much more solidly built than the stock fuse holders. I have not had one melt yet:

https://www.parts-express.com/in-line-ato-atc-fuse-holder-10-awg--070-675

Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."

Return to “Everything Else: Antennas, Relays, Switches, Power, Grounding, Cooling, etc.”