JTDX and WSJT not keying 8000DLE

K9RX

JTDX and WSJT not keying 8000DLE

Postby K9RX » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:45 pm

Hardware: 8000DLE connected to i7. Running 2.9.0.6 Thetis and protocol 2. Using Etherlogic VSPE and Muzy's VAC. I have a virtual serial pair that I use to communicate between Thetis and JT (I run both WS and JT at the same time, JT is used for TX). I've been using this for months - w/o an issue.

Today when I tried to transmit using JT the radio stayed in RX. Note JT shows the proper frequency, JT does shift the frequency (JT set to "FAKE IT", so this is normal if the TX is above 1500Hz). When I do this the TX 'bar' in JT doesn't show anything - its blank vs. when proper it would show a vertical bar that is set to 0 dbm (full scale). All settings are the same as they've always been. I also closed out JT and set up WS to be the main (TX) using this same com port - and it does the same thing. So this isn't something related to JT or WS since they both do the same thing.

I had this problem show once before, about a month ago, and rebooting fixed it. I've rebooted a 1/2 dozen times now (not just to reboot but trying other things as well). As far as I know there wasn't a windows update. I'm at a total lose. And to top it off 6M has been mostly dead for sometime only this morning to have 3 new ones coming through: EK, A9, EY! FRUSTRATING.

Since the radio frequency is properly showing on the apps, JT and WS, and since it shifts the frequency on TX - that would suggest that the com port is working properly. I can't see how that could work and not the PTT command (CAT selected, as, again, it always has been) so I can't see how this is specifically a com port issue. Also the fact that when I hit TUNE or ENABLE on JT there is no power bar - that I can't figure. I have tried switching the output of JT to another VAC channel to no avail. Same action.

I just ran the Muzy VAC control panel and when I hit TUNE or ENABLE I am seeing a signal on the audio channel. So it just appears what I'm lacking is PTT.

I can be reached at arsk9rx@gmail.com if anyone has a strong suggestion (i.e. they've seen this and found a way to fix it). Meanwhile I've tried a lot of things - to no avail. 2 Hours and counting.

Gary
K9RX
w9mdb

Re: JTDX and WSJT not keying 8000DLE

Postby w9mdb » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:49 pm

You don't say what version of WSJT-X you are running...but try this new DLL...

ew hamlib for installation directions

#1 Shut down WSJTX

#2 Download either the 32-bit or 64-bit DLL matching the 32/64-bit version of WSJTX -- hopefully your browser doesn't block it but may warn you multiple times.

If you can do a "Save As" you can save it directly in the appropriate WSJTX directory
C:\WSJT\WSJTX\bin and replace the libhamlib-4.dll that is there.

http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll32/libhamlib-4.dll

http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net/dll64/libhamlib-4.dll

Linux/Unix/Mac users need to compile the latest tar file from http://n0nb.users.sourceforge.net
Note: If compiling on Unix-like systems please uninstall any Hamlib package you have before installing the new build

#3 If you don't save directly you need to open a file browser and move the file that way.

If you're not familiar with that here's a video on the file browser - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyVqCJrs9dk

Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:55 pm

Post screenshots of your Thetis CAT settings and your digi software radio settings. It's got to be a simple oversight.
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:03 pm

I would also recommend Rig Split instead of Fake It.
Fake It is really intended for rigs that cannot do Rig Split.

Mike W9MDB
Mike W9MDB
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:52 pm

Thanks guys.

First I'm not using Hamlib. I am using JT 160-rc3 (and have been for a while now) and WS 2.6.2-new improved (again, for a while now). Both have worked - for a while now. Radio in Thetis set to Flex and in JT Flex/Thetis. Nothing changed here.

Second everything is as it was, nothing has changed. The serial port settings are all as they were, the VSPE is showing the same screen of pairs (4 of them) and all show "OK". JTDX hasn't changed (nor has WSJT and neither works).

I downloaded a serial sniffer program and ran it. Looking at the serial streams going from JTDX (com13) I can clearly see, when I hit TUNE,
the transmit frequency shift to 50313500, I can clearly see ZZTX1 (MOX ON). It does this until I turn TUNE (on JTDX) off or, I also looked at using the ENABLE function and the same thing happens. When TUNE stopped it goes to proper frequency 50313000 and ZZTX0. As mentioned previously VAC control panel shows the output (from JT) signal.

Then looking at the serial coming out of the 8000 I can clearly see it acknowledges the frequency shift going from 50313000 to 50313500 followed by an acknowledgment of ZZTX1 (MOX on) and goes to ZZTX0 when I hit halt.

I'm happy to send the actual files (saved as txt file) to anyone to look at.

I'm at my office computer here Scott - I'll go to my radio room computer and try to post a screen shot. It is, as stated, no different than its always been. And as mentioned I've seen this once before - what solved it that time was a reboot so nothing "changed" in Thetis/JT/VSPE just with a reboot.

What makes no sense is JT is commanding TX1 (MOX ON), the radio is acknowledging (response to ZZTX; command) MOX is on... yet clearly the radio is in RX.

I can be reached at 864-845-1399. I've checked and rechecked everything. I'm at a total loss. I'll try loading a previous DB in to Thetis - hadn't done that yet.

Gary
K9RX

Postby K9RX » Mon Jun 12, 2023 3:57 pm

BINGO.

I should have tried that hours ago. I reloaded the last saved DB. Working fine. GEEZ. The radio has been so super stable I just didn't think about this.

Thanks guys.

Saw 3 new ones on 6 this morning - and at 162 worked they're getting to be more rare... missed them. Hopefully an opening will happen again.

Back to normal life 4 hours later.

Gary
w9mdb

Postby w9mdb » Mon Jun 12, 2023 4:07 pm

FYI...you ARE using Hamlib -- that's what is in WSJTX and JTDX talking over the serial port.

Glad you got it fixed....
Mike W9MDB

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”