No Output power when WSJT-X Tune button is activated

Dick

No Output power when WSJT-X Tune button is activated

Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:23 pm

THETIS Crashed during an FT8 Contact and no longer functions with WSJT-X
Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Greetings All

After several Issues (blank Panafall screen after upgrading to THETIS v2.9.0.6 x64) were solved with great mentoring, I was successfully running THETIS with WSJT-X (v2.5.4 ), JTAlert (v2.51.3 ), DXKeeper (v16.4.5 ) . After ten-plus successful contacts made and logged, a pop-up screen appeared saying THETIS had stopped working.

I finally had to access TASK MANAGER to close-out THETIS. I restarted THETIS and clicked on the power button in the T-Main-screen. Another pop-up asked if the ANAN-200D was connected or powered up - it was. I had to power-cycle the 200D after which THETIS connected to the SDR and displayed signals normally in the Panafall display.

Next I restarted WSJT-X and tried contacting someone (decodes signals fine) but now, there was zero output power when the 200D was in TX mode. I had made no changes to the setup of WSJT-X or in THETIS (or anywhere!) since it had last been working. This ZERO output condition started immediately after the first THETIS crash.

Under these conditions I do see RF output when the THETIS "Tune" button is activated.

Seems like I'm in a wack-a-mole event getting one thing after another to work correctly but the damn Mole is winning !!

My system setup is as follows:

- DELL E6510 laptop running W-7 64-bit OS (8GB of added RAM)
- ANAN-200D (in day-one shipment status)
-THETIS v2.9.0.6
- WSJT-X v2.5.4
- DXKeeper v16.4.5
- LOTW (so far no problems here!)

Speeds :
- Internet 58.6Mbps
- 100Mbps LAN (Intel (R) 82577LM GigaBit Network (for connection to ANAN-200D direct Ethernet connection)

Hopefully someone has an answer to this problem.

73 Dick/w7wkr at CN98pi
w-u-2-o

Re: No Output power when WSJT-X Tune button is activated

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:11 pm

What software are you using for virtual audio connections?

What software are you using for virtual serial connections?
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:20 pm

Dick wrote:THETIS Crashed during an FT8 Contact and no longer functions with WSJT-X
Postby Dick » Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:21 pm

Greetings All

After several Issues (blank Panafall screen after upgrading to THETIS v2.9.0.6 x64) were solved with great mentoring, I was successfully running THETIS with WSJT-X (v2.5.4 ), JTAlert (v2.51.3 ), DXKeeper (v16.4.5 ) . After ten-plus successful contacts made and logged, a pop-up screen appeared saying THETIS had stopped working.

I finally had to access TASK MANAGER to close-out THETIS. I restarted THETIS and clicked on the power button in the T-Main-screen. Another pop-up asked if the ANAN-200D was connected or powered up - it was. I had to power-cycle the 200D after which THETIS connected to the SDR and displayed signals normally in the Panafall display.

Next I restarted WSJT-X and tried contacting someone (decodes signals fine) but now, there was zero output power when the 200D was in TX mode. I had made no changes to the setup of WSJT-X or in THETIS (or anywhere!) since it had last been working. This ZERO output condition started immediately after the first THETIS crash.

Under these conditions I do see RF output when the THETIS "Tune" button is activated.

Seems like I'm in a wack-a-mole event getting one thing after another to work correctly but the damn Mole is winning !!

My system setup is as follows:

- DELL E6510 laptop running W-7 64-bit OS (8GB of added RAM)
- ANAN-200D (in day-one shipment status)
-THETIS v2.9.0.6
- WSJT-X v2.5.4
- DXKeeper v16.4.5
- LOTW (so far no problems here!)

Speeds :
- Internet 58.6Mbps
- 100Mbps LAN (Intel (R) 82577LM GigaBit Network (for connection to ANAN-200D direct Ethernet connection)

Hopefully someone has an answer to this problem.

73 Dick/w7wkr at CN98pi

Most likely the wrong audio-device selected in wsjt-x.
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:04 pm

I had a similar situation occur. What I found was that the PTT signaling from WSJT wasn't getting through to Thetis. I had it on CAT.

My conclusion was that the Virtual Serial Cables got messed up some how. I wound up taking them all down, cleaning out and re-installing the VSP Manager that I'm using. Once I did the removal/reboot/reinstall - things started working again.

One way to diagnose this issue is - do you have Audio from OTHER sources working? I could use MOX in USB and saw the Audio signal in the transmit window - while with WSJT-X saw nothing in the TX window. The radio was going into Transmit mode - no audio? Not sure why - but replacing the Virtual Serial Cables made the difference.

Steve KA6S
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:05 pm

I should also add that I'm now using RTS signaling for PTT instead of depending on a TX command from CAT serial communications.

Steve KA6S
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:22 pm

If you continue to have problems with VSPM, you might consider trying com0com (free) or Eterlogic VSPE ($25). My personal experience with VSPM is that it is not very stable, others have said it works fine. I use VSPE.

There is no reason to not use CAT PTT. The additional complexity of serial port PTT is unnecessary for digi modes. However I do use serial port PTT to run a footswitch that is attached to a serial port on my PC.
wevets@gmail.com

Postby wevets@gmail.com » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:39 am

Scott,

I've used com0com for multiple previous radio setups - but for whatever reason - it isn't playing nice on my Andromeda.

That is why I'm using VSPManager... I've also switched as many of my applications over to TCP/IP as I can!

As a side note - I saw that you were looking at the Fork of PiHPSDR - let me know how that goes for you..

73s de Steve KA6S
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:40 am

Steve,

TCP/IP works in WSJT-X and Fldigi. No more serial comm's necessary. See this topic: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4249

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”