TCI - Transceiver Control Interface: is it the future?

w-u-2-o

TCI - Transceiver Control Interface: is it the future?

Postby w-u-2-o » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:04 pm

TCI - Transceiver Control Interface:

https://eesdr.com/en/software-en/software-en

Is this the future? It sure would be nice to see all those nasty serial connections go away, both real and virtual. But right now it appears to be limited to a mostly obscure ecosystem of SunSDR adherents.

On the radio side, it's almost certainly too much to expect the Big Three, plus Elecraft, to adopt this standard. That leaves Flex and the openHPSDR community. If Flex adopted it that would be a major impetus for further adoption, not sure about openHPSDR (e.g. Thetis).

On the application side, there's no mainstream software on the list right now with the possible exception of Log4OM. But without the usual suspects: WSJT-X, Fldigi, CW Skimmer, DXLabs and N1MM, again there's little impetus for further adoption.

Of course this is a classic chicken and egg scenario. With no app's there are no radios. With no radios there are no app's. And, worse, no amps, no tuners, no antenna switches, no rotators, etc.

Thoughts?
oe3ide

Re: TCI - Transceiver Control Interface: is it the future?

Postby oe3ide » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:29 pm

My vote: +1

I implemented TCI into my 2 tools (TunerReminder and 4square-Controller), it was an easy job. I guess the most work will be the mapping of the countless Thetis-Commands to the TCI-Interface.

73 Ernst
DL8LAQ

Postby DL8LAQ » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:19 pm

My vote: +1

My RF-Kit PA is TCI ready!
73, Norbert - DL8LAQ - ANAN-G2 w/display - Richie's latest Thetis version and pihpsdr by N1GP&DL1YCF
KA5KKT

Postby KA5KKT » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

√ ...gets my vote.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:27 pm

Not seeing a lot of responses. And most of them are kind of corner cases.

It would be great to see the kind of effort that would be necessary for TCI to be put into something that would be more universal, like a macro button capability.
oe3ide

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby oe3ide » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:59 pm

@Scott: Would you be so kind and move this post to the TCI-Tread? Thank you!

IMHO we need only one tcp-port for TCI and it would be nice if we didn't have to sacrifice a serial port for this.
I am not sure, if the N1MM tcp/cat implementation meets any existing "standards". As far as I know there is a 3rd party tci/n1mm middleware application available, which "translates" N1mm-network to TCI... I doubt that this is the right way...

What would have to be clarified in any case is whether a server-side TCI implementation is covered by the expert electronics license.

Below a simple TCI interface (client) from one of my projects.

73 Ernst

Code: Select all

Imports System.Net
Imports System.Net.Sockets
Imports System.Net.WebSockets.ClientWebSocket
Imports System.Text
Imports System.Threading.Tasks
Imports System.Net.WebSockets
Imports System.Threading

Public Class TCICore

Dim ws As New System.Net.WebSockets.ClientWebSocket()

Public Async Function Connect(ip As String, port As String) As Task

Dim hoststr As String
        hoststr = "ws://" + ip + ":" + port
        Dim uri As New Uri(hoststr)

ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12 Or SecurityProtocolType.Tls11
        Await ws.ConnectAsync(uri, CancellationToken.None)

End Function

Public Sub reConnect(ip As String, port As String)

ws = New System.Net.WebSockets.ClientWebSocket()
#Disable Warning BC42358 ' Because this call is not awaited, execution of the current method continues before the call is completed
        Connect(ip, port)
#Enable Warning BC42358 ' Because this call is not awaited, execution of the current method continues before the call is completed
        ' End If

While ws.State = WebSocketState.Connecting
            'Form1.writeConnStatus(False, "TCI: CONNECTING...")

End While

If ws.State = WebSocketState.Open Then

Me.StartListen().Wait(1000)
        End If

End Sub

Public Function getWSState()
        getWSState = ws.State

End Function

Public Sub OpenConnection(ip As String, port As String)

#Disable Warning BC42358 ' Because this call is not awaited, execution of the current method continues before the call is completed
        Connect(ip, port)
#Enable Warning BC42358 ' Because this call is not awaited, execution of the current method continues before the call is completed

While ws.State = WebSocketState.Connecting
            Form1.writeConnStatus(False, "CONNECTING...", "TCI")

End While

If ws.State <> WebSocketState.Open Then

Form1.writeConnStatus(True, "NO CONNECTION! (try reconnect every 5s)", "TCI")
            Form1.commState = False
            TCIinterface.tcidevice = ""

Else
            Form1.writeConnStatus(False, "successfully connected", "TCI")
            Form1.commState = True
        End If

Form1.writeConnStatus(False, "successfully connected", "TCI")

Form1.commState = True
            Me.StartListen().Wait(1000)
        End If

End Sub

Public Async Function StartListen() As Task
        Dim result As WebSocketReceiveResult
        If ws.State <> WebSocketState.Open Then

Form1.commState = False
        End If

While ws.State = WebSocketState.Open
            Form1.commState = True
            Dim buffer = New ArraySegment(Of Byte)(New Byte(1023) {})
            Do
                result = Await ws.ReceiveAsync(New ArraySegment(Of Byte)(buffer.Array), CancellationToken.None)

If result.MessageType = WebSocketMessageType.Close Then

Exit Do
                Else
                    Dim str = Encoding.UTF8.GetString(buffer.Array, 0, result.Count)

Form1.receivedTxt.Text = Form1.receivedTxt.Text & str & vbCrLf

TCIinterface.parseTCI(str)

str = ""
                    End If
            Loop While Not result.EndOfMessage

End While
    End Function

Public Function sendTci(txt As String) As Boolean

sendTci = True
            Dim message As Byte() = Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(txt)
            ws.SendAsync(New ArraySegment(Of Byte)(message), WebSocketMessageType.Text, True, CancellationToken.None)
            sendTci = True
            Form1.writeConnStatus(False, "successfully connected (Receiver " + Form1.recnrStr + ")", "TCI")
            Form1.commState = True
        Else
            Form1.commState = False
            sendTci = False

End If

End Function

End Class

w-u-2-o

Re: Thetis 2_8_11 changes/ideas/wants/wishes

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:35 pm

oe3ide wrote:@Scott: Would you be so kind and move this post to the TCI-Tread? Thank you!
IMHO we need only one tcp-port for TCI and it would be nice if we didn't have to sacrifice a serial port for this.

I can't see why "sacrificing" one of four ports is a problem? Particularly if all ports could be set to either serial or IP mode.

I am not sure, if the N1MM tcp/cat implementation meets any existing "standards".

There's no special standard required, per se. CAT is already the message payload standard, that continues unchanged, and the IP socket/port standard is what it is. Don't overcomplicate this.

An IP port interface is one thing. CAT and TCI over that port are apples and oranges, or chalk and cheese, or whatever they say in your neck of the woods. TCI could easily work over RS232 serial or IP. Since Thetis already supports CAT if you add the IP port capability you then get CAT for free via that kind of connection. TCI is an entirely different protocol that would have to be added. But one step at a time. First let's get the IP port interface.

In other words: don't conflate TCI with IP port comm's.

Another way to understand this: the serial port (real or virtual) and the IP port comprise layers 1-4 of the OSI model. CAT and TCI comprise layers 5-7.

OSI-7-layers.jpg
OSI-7-layers.jpg (39.1 KiB) Viewed 4932 times
Dave30019

Postby Dave30019 » Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:11 pm

I'd like to see the full TCI implemented into Thetis; Audio & CAT. I use a RF2K-S amp which has TCI client, Log4OM & JTDX all have TCI capability. I am waiting for TCI in Thetis. I'm not really interested in trying the experimental version's being used right now. I'll patiently wait for the approved released version of Thetis.

Thank's Richie for all your efforts.

Dave
k4em
oe3ide

Postby oe3ide » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:01 pm

Dave30019 wrote:I'd like to see the full TCI implemented into Thetis; Audio & CAT. I use a RF2K-S amp which has TCI client, Log4OM & JTDX all have TCI capability. I am waiting for TCI in Thetis. I'm not really interested in trying the experimental version's being used right now. I'll patiently wait for the approved released version of Thetis.

Thank's Richie for all your efforts.

Dave
k4em

I speak as a software developer (not for Thetis).
Without testers who also test experimental versions, it is very difficult and time-consuming to produce software that runs 100% bug-free.
The software developer usually does not have the opportunity (and time) to test all eventualities and features.
It is part of the ham spirit for me (especially on open source projects) to test prereleases or beta versions and thus let the software mature.

73 Ernst
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:48 pm

I am having trouble with seeing an application for audio over TCI.
Will someone please edify me?

Bryan W4WMT
Dave30019

Postby Dave30019 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:39 am

Does the TCI implemented in Thetis have PTT control. I know it has CAT but is there PTT control too.

Dave
k4em
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:26 pm

Dave30019 wrote:Does the TCI implemented in Thetis have PTT control. I know it has CAT but is there PTT control too.

Dave
k4em

TCI is a different protocol entirely that runs over WebSockets, invented by ExpertElectronics and included in their ExpertSDR2 and ExpertSDR3 software.

As far as I know, we are currently the only other SDR radio software that has a form of their TCI server running. However, it is a work in progress and still has a number of missing facilities, including sensors (swr/power/etc/etc), rit/xit, cw macros, volume control, mon control, agc changes, dsp control, and audio/iq over the stream.

If you use the correct client software that uses TCI, such as Log4om, JTDX, and many others, then you can remove the need for virtual com ports.

The protocol is here : https://github.com/ExpertSDR3/TCI/blob/ ... %20TCI.pdf

A non exhaustive list of 3rd party TCI software is here : https://eesdr.com/en/software-en/software-en

Richie.
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:46 pm

I can, sort of, understand the desire for I/Q over TCI. To run digi-mode software with Thetis, without having to resort to COM ports, right?

But what could possibly be the motivation for scalar audio over TCI? I just don't get it :-(
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:34 pm

First, remember that IQ data and "scalar audio" (I'll just call it audio) data is different. The vast majority of third party software (e.g. WSJT-X) uses plain audio. That's what makes it important. There are a few app's that use IQ, primarily to create a panadapter display, but there are exceptions, such as CW Skimmer. Nevertheless, the most popular app's just use audio.

The primary attraction of TCI is that it aspires to be an all-in-one solution. Put in a couple of IP and port addresses and you are done. No need to install, configure or understand virtual COM ports for command & control, or virtual audio cables for IQ or audio. This makes it conceptually simple for both the operator/user and the software developer.

The other attraction of TCI is that every radio that is TCI complaint produces the same interface. This also potentially makes it a lot easier on software developers. Rather than having to support a different library of CAT commands for every type of radio, there is just the single set of TCI commands. Of course there will still be some differences, e.g. not all radios have two receivers, but it becomes a question of what subset of TCI is supported as opposed to a completely different set of commands.

Of course the downside is that, at least at this point, TCI remains a white elephant, with only Expert Electronics having a full implementation, and Thetis a partial one. With the excellent CAT language rig control support afforded by HamLib and other implementations, as found in all of the most popular software like WSJT-X, Fldigi, DXLabs, etc., TCI is elegant but it is, to a certain extent, reinvention of the wheel, not that it isn't a "nicer wheel". And, it's already been shown that doing away with the virtual COM port for a traditional CAT language interface is trivial. This leaves simplifying the transfer of IQ or audio data between app's, something which remains as a community challenge. If the latter could be brought forth as a competing standard, the large body of work out there that already implements a CAT language interface might not be sufficiently motivated to implement TCI.

Finally, there is a challenge in convincing radio manufacturers that there is a market advantage in supporting TCI instead of supporting a proprietary CAT protocol. While we might see such forward thinkers as Elecraft or Flex jumping on the bandwagon, does anyone believe a Japanese radio manufacturer would consider this?
W4WMT

Postby W4WMT » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:11 pm

Okay, thanks, I think I see now! Being completely ignorant of digital modes, I had missed your points above. So what type of audio interface would we need with TCI? Per receiver, where the client would tell the server which receiver to stream? Or both receivers mixed, like what we get with the audio codec in the hardware?

Reason I ask, is that it comes from two different places in the channel. So one would have to know where to start.
ramdor

Postby ramdor » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:24 pm

One big difference is that any changes, such as vfo, window focus, etc, etc, in Thetis are sent to any connected clients, without those clients having to poll the server. TCI clients can decide if they want to use the info coming in, or just ignore it.

Cat based setups are mostly implemented as a polling system. Sometimes the Kenwood AI command is used, but afaik this is not correctly handled by Thetis, just a check box in Setup which 'broadcasts' a couple of bits of info. This aspect of Thetis needs re-working, and moved to the delegate system, but I did not get around to it, as it falls outside my 'interest' area ;)

R.
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:47 pm

W4WMT wrote:Okay, thanks, I think I see now! Being completely ignorant of digital modes, I had missed your points above. So what type of audio interface would we need with TCI? Per receiver, where the client would tell the server which receiver to stream? Or both receivers mixed, like what we get with the audio codec in the hardware?

Reason I ask, is that it comes from two different places in the channel. So one would have to know where to start.

Now you are getting outside of my knowledge space :D

I don't use any software that relies on TCI, so other than from a high level, philosophical standpoint, I'm not familiar with the nuts and bolts.

You should probably read the entire TCI document here: https://github.com/maksimus1210/TCI/tree/master/doc

It's a little rough, probably a Russian to English translation.

IQ and audio streams appear to be arbitrary. Assign them however you wish, from 1 to n. I haven't read the document in great detail, I assume this matches up with VFO or DDS constructs in some logical manner. At the bottom of the document are the definitions for formatting the streams.

P.S. thanks for pointing out that other potential advantage, Richie, i.e. push vs. pull on radio state data.

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”