Switching between phone and digi modes

G3NPI

Re: Thetis 2.8.11 Released!

Postby G3NPI » Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:13 pm

I finally used Thetis 2.8.11 on my ANAN 10 and love it all the previous glitches etc have disappeared. What is useful, I can easily switch back to HPSDR.
However there appears to be a problem on VAC2 audio not reaching Thetis from MGM programs.To check it is not my setup, I reverted back to HPSDR v3.4.9 and all was well. I wonder if anybody else is successfully using both VAC1 and VAC2 running Thetis on an ANAN10 ? I am using WIN10 on an I7 computer and my VAC links are from VB_Audio.com

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm

G3NPI wrote:However there appears to be a problem on VAC2 audio not reaching Thetis from MGM programs.
Would you please clarify what you mean by this? VAC2 provides receive audio output only in both PowerSDR and Thetis. What is an MGM program?
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:51 am

Hi Scott,

Sorry for the delay I have been trying to gather more info. MGM = Machine Generated Mode ie data. I am using MSHV to generate the data but get the same problem with WSJT-X. The problem is no data is transferred on VAC2 to Thetis but OK from Thetis to MSHV for RXing data. Same setup works well on HPSDR. This problem is not intermittent so I have been able to play for hours to try and fix it without success. I have never had it working on Thetis.

Using ANAN10, 16bit, P1, Thetis v2.8.1, VB Cables, Win 10
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:47 am

G3NPI wrote: The problem is no data is transferred on VAC2 to Thetis but OK from Thetis to MSHV for RXing data. Same setup works well on HPSDR. This problem is not intermittent so I have been able to play for hours to try and fix it without success. I have never had it working on Thetis.

Again, again (because you did not appear to copy my last response): VAC2 provides receive audio output only in both PowerSDR and Thetis. It cannot be used for transmit in those programs. It is not something you can fix without writing new code. You must use VAC1 if you wish to transmit.
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 am

Thank you Scott, I had been under the impression that VAC1 was for use on RX1 and VAC2 on RX2 so another misunderstanding. I will have to find another way to TX data. Not my favourite mode anyway.

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:59 am

@G3NPI Geoff, your understanding is correct, but there is no facility to transmit associated with RX2. Why not just use RX1 with your digi modes? Why the fixation on RX2?
G3NPI

Postby G3NPI » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:59 am

Hi Scott,

My main use of the ANAN 10 is to drive 4m and 2m transverters and take part in VHF contests. Unfortunately in the UK in the SSB/CW contests the rules permit to use of data modes. Which means you need to be able to quickly switch from N1MM+ (doing Auto CQ on SSB/CW) to digital modes. So I was planning to use RX1 and VAC1 dedicated for N1MM+, then use RX2 and VAC2 for digi modes. Reconfiguring in the middle of a contest does not seem a good plan...
If you have any suggestions to get round this they are very welcome, other than getting the contest committee to drop digimodes which would please me but perhaps I am just too old for these new modes.

Geoff G3NPI
w-u-2-o

Switching between phone and digi modes

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Geoff--I've split this discussion off of the main Thetis 2.8.11 thread because, with your last post, it is now clear that this is really a discussion of digital mode and logging software interfacing and not a Thetis issue per se. So we can continue this discussion in the separate sub-forum that exists for exactly these sort of issues.

Again, to be clear, transmit facilities are only available in Thetis (and PowerSDR mRX) via VAC1. However this should not prove to be an impediment to what you want to accomplish.

The answer to your operational requirement is simple: connect both N1MM and your digi mode software to VAC1 at the same time via your VB Cable virtual audio connection. This is possible because more than one software application can connect to a VB Cable simultaneously. With that accomplished you can simply transmit via N1MM or the digi mode app as required.

However, it's probably worth mentioning that you are going to also want to switch between LSB/USB and DIGU modes, and possibly want to change your transmit profile as well. At a minimum switching to DIGU is very important, because digi mode information needs to remain unmolested by the stuff we normally use for phone: leveler, EQ, CFC, etc. Similarly, received digi mode signals need to remain unmolested by RX EQ. When DIGU is selected all of those functions are automatically disabled.

So, in practice, if you are working a phone signal, be in LSB or USB and use N1MM. If you are working a digi signal, be in DIGU and use the digi app.
G3NPI

Re: Switching between phone and digi modes

Postby G3NPI » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:44 am

Many thanks Scott, I can confirm that your suggestion to use VAC1 for both N1MM+ and digi program is the solution. Also thank you for making the point about using DIGU, not something I of which I was aware.

HNY & 73 from the UK

Geoff

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”