FT8 and ANAN 7000dle Mark II, black edition

Glasgow

FT8 and ANAN 7000dle Mark II, black edition

Postby Glasgow » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:24 am

I have searched YouTube and this community and cannot find a "cookbook" list of what to do to operate FT8 with ANAN Thetis. Have I overlooked it? I see hints that I will need VAC's but I have no idea why. Can anyone point me in the right direction? 73, Harry K1RSA
kc2rgw

Re: FT8 and ANAN 7000dle Mark II, black edition

Postby kc2rgw » Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:21 pm

To work digital modes you need two cables.

One is the CAT control and Omnirig provides the serial cable to tie the digi mode software to the radio. You enable CAT on the Anan for one of the ends of the cable and you point the digi mode software to the port for the other end of the cable. Now the two can communicate the PTT and tuning etc.

It’s the same with the audio. A virtual audio cable is a patch cable to connect the audio to and from the Anan to and from the digi software.

There’s a setup guide at the top of this forum in one of the threads.

An oddity of this radio is how you set audio levels separately from power drive levels. Just note that you set your audio levels to just reach zero with no ALC action at all, then separately you set the drive for the desired power output. It’s a bit odd compared to a hardware radio where you run full power always but control output level with the drive audio levels.
w-u-2-o

Re: FT8 and ANAN 7000dle Mark II, black edition

Postby w-u-2-o » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:27 pm

You do not need to use Omnirig. There are three popular choices for virtual serial cable software:

- com0com
- VSPM
- Eterlogic VSPE

The first two are free. The third, VSPE, costs a few dollars but IMHO is the most stable and capable of the three. A google search will find download locations for any one of the three for you.

For virtual audio cable, there are two choices:

- Muzychenko VAC
- VB Audio Voicemeeter (which comes in three variants, you might as well get the most capable version which is "Potato")

Both are free. Again, a google search will quickly locate their download sites.

I am not aware of a cookbook set of instructions for setup. However there is a number of Youtube videos on FT8 setup that might be helpful. Just search Youtube for FT8.

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”