Complete Digital Tutorial

W2REO

Complete Digital Tutorial

Postby W2REO » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:59 pm

Hi Everyone. Before I begin, please be kind, I am a tired old ham, with very limited computer knowledge. If not for my kids, I'd still have a flip phone!

I have one of the first Anan 100D's that I have been using for phone since I got it, and it works quite well. I have a desktop pc that has gigabit ethernet, and a fairly fast Ryzen processor. The problem comes when attempting to get into digital modes. I have read Scott's very well executed tutorial many times (thanks Scott, you're terrific!), but when it comes to integrating that tutorial with my PC and CAT and PTT and VAC and serial ports and, and, and I am totally lost. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get everyone to play nicely together. (e.g., I can see the signals on the waterfall and hear the tones, but I can't transmit, or the signals are all gibberish and I can't read them). I have tried HRD Deluxe, Fldigi and most other downloadable programs with the same negative results).

What I was hooping for, is someone to compile a "Digital Modes for Dummies" tutorial that will give a step by step menu of how to setup the pc, and then the SDR and then controlling software.

Sorry for the long post, but you guys are my last hope for helping me get online with digital modes.

Thanks for listening and all your support!

Roger, W2REO
Tony EI7BMB

Re: Complete Digital Tutorial

Postby Tony EI7BMB » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:02 pm

Maybe a teamviewer session might also be an option perhaps ?
W2REO

Postby W2REO » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks for the reply Tony. that might be an option.

I was hoping for a generalized cook book approach, i.e. Step 1,, step 2, step 3 etc.

Roger W2REO
LarryW

Postby LarryW » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:16 am

Roger,

I know what you mean about "just not getting it" so I totally understand your frustration about not getting it up and working.
I just made a video tutorial a few weeks ago for a ham out in the west coast. In the end I still needed to login on his PC and make a few changes---- he had it so close but just missed one thing.

If you would like to list the programs you wish to run--- I will mimic it here on my end and shoot a video for you showing what you should have.

Larry
N7ZDR
7000 mkll Thetis v2.8.11 21k3
P2_v2.0b
Dell XPS 8930 i5-9400/Behringer 202HD/Audio-Technica BPHS2 headset, USB PTT, Behringer XR 12 (Rack in a Box)
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:57 pm

I did write a kind of tutorial on getting started in the Thetis manual - section 3.6 (starting on page 27)

You can get the Thetis manual from my web page here for now: http://www.nicklebyhouse.co.uk/index.php/downloads/category/13-sdr?download=55:thetis-manual-draft-0-4

(eventually I'm hoping it can get distributed with the code).

It covers the virtual com and audio software and WSJT-X. The same instructions should be very nearly the same for PowerSDR.
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
vk6cpu

Postby vk6cpu » Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:30 am

You can get the Thetis manual from my web page here for now: http://www.nicklebyhouse.co.uk/index.ph ... -draft-0-4

Laurence - Thank you !
What a great resource. Wish I had had that from when I first acquired my 8000! It was a very steep learning curve.

Thanks Again
All the best
Nigel
VK6CPU

Anan 8000 DLE, Thetis v2.9.0.8, Protocol 2 V2 1.18
INTEL i9 12900 64.0 GB Ram
rbduck

Postby rbduck » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:45 am

laurencebarker wrote:I did write a kind of tutorial on getting started in the Thetis manual - section 3.6 (starting on page 27)

Thank you very much for the heads up on the Thetis manual. I've had my 7000DLE since December an this is the first time hearing about it. It's helped clarify several different questions I had.
Ruben
NB4R
Apache-Labs Anan 7000DLE MKII Black -- Thetis 2.10.3.6 dev_2 -- Windows 11
laurencebarker

Postby laurencebarker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm

The manual is now available as a download on the Apache-labs web page too. Thank you Abhi.

It will turn out that there are errors and gaps in the manual - but at at least it is a start!
Laurence Barker G8NJJ
kc2rgw

Postby kc2rgw » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:36 am

You put a lot of work into that manual, thanks for doing that. It’s been very useful to read through while I wait for the radio to arrive.
W1AEX

Postby W1AEX » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:10 pm

Laurence,

After browsing through the Thetis manual you put together, all I can say is "Wow!"

It's already been said here, but the amount of work you put into this project is very evident. The first item I browsed to was the section regarding the Andromeda controls. There's a whole lot more going on in there than I was aware of from my casual use of what I could see on the surface. Thank you so much for putting all this together! This is a huge step forward for the whole ANAN community.

73, Rob W1AEX
"One thing I am certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world."

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”