N3FJP logging S/W Interface

aa6rs

N3FJP logging S/W Interface

Postby aa6rs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:46 pm

[hopefully I have entered this in the appropriate place]
I am new to the Apache Labs world and after using a SDR it would be hard to go back to a knob and dial radio. However it has been a struggle to get it all working.
I would like to get my 8000dle (using OpenHPSDRmRx v.3.4.9) working through CAT to my N3FJP logging program. Wish there was a fellow AL owner nearby a I need some serious hand-holding but hopefully a reader(s) of this forum can step me through the process.
Also at some point I would like to connect to my FLDIGI on the laptop for digital modes.
Appreciatively, Rich AA6RS
w-u-2-o

Re: N3FJP logging S/W Interface

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:10 pm

I don't use N3FJP, but it's not any different than interfacing any other radio, except that instead of actually putting two physical COM ports on your PC and wiring them together, you install something called "virtual serial port" software to make the connection between the two pieces of software, PowerSDR mRX and N3FJP.

The way the virtual serial port software works is that it creates as many "port pairs" as you want. For instance, say a port pair defined as COM21 and COM22. Attach PowerSDR mRX to COM21 (via the Setup > CAT Control > CAT menu), attach N3FJP to COM22, and they will talk to each other, just as if you were using two physical serial ports and real wiring.

There are three choices for virtual serial port software (which are easily googled): com0com, VSPM, Eterlogic VSPE. I like Eterlogic VSPE but it does cost $25. com0com is free. I don't recommend VSPM as it's not entirely stable. There are a ton of Youtube videos on how to set these various app's up. Again, it's not hard. Download. Install. Reboot. Open the control panel and define a port pair. Assign the ports in PowerSDR and N3FJP.
aa6rs

Postby aa6rs » Fri May 08, 2020 12:21 am

WU2O---Thanks for the reply .
No CAT success yet. VSPE is installed and registered. Set up ports 20 & 21 with emulation ON but not http. (??)
Both logging program and PowerSDRmRXPS v.3.49 are set to: 1200 baud, parity none, data 8, stop 1, RTS on. Also set both CAT commands (ID as) to TS-2000.
I presume that VSEP needs to be running every time SDR Logging program are used (Order important?).
My goals are modest in that I just want the logging info, i.e. mode, band, freq, in the logging program. I do not want to control the SDR with the logging program.
I appreciate any help. AA6RS
w-u-2-o

Postby w-u-2-o » Fri May 08, 2020 1:55 pm

No CAT success yet. VSPE is installed and registered. Set up ports 20 & 21 with emulation ON but not http. (??)

The VSPE device type should be a "Pair". Leave baud rate emulation off. There should be no settings associated with "http", so I'm not sure what you mean by that last little bit.

Both logging program and PowerSDRmRXPS v.3.49 are set to: 1200 baud, parity none, data 8, stop 1, RTS on. Also set both CAT commands (ID as) to TS-2000.

With baud rate emulation off baud rate should be immaterial, however I recommend you set them both to the highest rate they can both support

I'm a bit suspicious that you attempted to use the PTT Control port settings in PowerSDR because that is the only one with an "RTS" option. You need to use the CAT Control or the CAT+ port settings. None of them use RTS. In N3FJP turn off any RTS or DTR signalling.

I presume that VSEP needs to be running every time SDR Logging program are used (Order important?).

Order is important. VSPE needs to be running first. See here to learn how to make it automatically start up when the system is booted:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2779&p=5291

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”