Selecting the right SDR Transceiver ?

WQ2H

Selecting the right SDR Transceiver ?

Postby WQ2H » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi folks,

(Not sure if this is in the right thread) but I'm looking to move to SDR that I plan to use mostly for digital modes.

Given that I'll be using an amp most of the time, is there any other major advantage of the 7000 v. the 8000 that I'm missing ?

And while I'm sure I could eventually figure it out, I also wanted to make sure I can use an RMS Trimode, Fldigi, and a DR-7800 modem with either radio. I'm still wading through the manual and related YouTube videos - but thought I could get a leg up here.

Thanks!
Jim, WQ2H
NH-ARRL OES
http://www.wq2h.com
w-u-2-o

Re: Selecting the right SDR Transceiver ?

Postby w-u-2-o » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:44 pm

Howdy, neighbor ;-)

There is almost zero difference between the 7000 and 8000, they both use the exact same SDR circuit card, the Orion MKII.

The differences are limited to:

- 200W vs. 100W (not an issue for you since you have an amp, so advantage 7000)
- Large and heavy vs. medium sized (advantage 7000)
- Front panel display (IMHO advantage 7000, the front panel display is an unnecessary complexity)
- More RF routing options on the 7000.

In short, I'd recommend the 7000, but either radio will serve equally well from a digital mode perspective.

For Fldigi and RMS Tri-mode (I used to run an RMS back when WINMOR was brand new, BTW) you will want to use a virtual audio cable connection between PowerSDR and those digi mode applications (and others). If you are not familiar with this approach see this topic:

https://apache-labs.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2655

For the DR-7800 you will need to engineer old fashioned analog audio connections. The exact same interfaces are present on both the 7000 and 8000 so there is nothing to choose between them. Although both radios feature an audio Line In connector, neither features an audio Line Out connector, which is most unfortunate because that would be the interface of choice. Line Out is available on the ribbon cable that goes to the rear panel connector breakout board, but you will have to modify the radio to obtain access to it. Or you can just use the headphone output jack. You do NOT want to use the speaker output jacks, they are connected to an internal 2W audio amplifier.

Scott
WQ2H

Re: Selecting the right SDR Transceiver ?

Postby WQ2H » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Scott,

Alton ! OMG you're right up the road !

The VAC is a new concept to me, but it seems very similar to the conventional USB/Soundcard approach. I have a VSPD license, but only use it for MS-DMT. I currently run the Trimode through an SCU-17, but I see no issue with using the PC. (I need an excuse for a fresh new laptop anyway.....) Your article looks good - but I'll need time to digest it to compile more unknowns.

And, as far as "engineer old fashioned analog audio connections" - dang, that's what engineers do ! :D

No "line out" seems odd, but if the headphone output works that's workable. I need the Pactor because that's probably the #1 mode at this gateway.

OK, thanks for the help Scott. I need to dwell on all of this, and I'm sure I will come back in at another time.
Jim, WQ2H
NH-ARRL OES
http://www.wq2h.com

Return to “Digital Mode, Rig Control & Logging Software”